Battery hook up - Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot / 2005 GMC Sierra
Would like to know how to hook up my battery to my trailer connections - I took the batteries off in the fall and forgot to write down the info - I have a 91 17' Bigfoot trailer - I have connected the two 6V batteries (positive to negative)together with the short cable but now I need to hook up the rest - I am left with a red wire, two black wires and a white wire to hook up to the battery. I know this is such a basic request but I have looked everywhere and I can't find any info - thanks for any help.
C

Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Would like to know how to hook up my battery to my trailer connections - I took the batteries off in the fall and forgot to write down the info - I have a 91 17' Bigfoot trailer - I have connected the two 6V batteries (positive to negative)together with the short cable but now I need to hook up the rest - I am left with a red wire, two black wires and a white wire to hook up to the battery. I know this is such a basic request but I have looked everywhere and I can't find any info - thanks for any help.
C
Every trailer could be different. Here is the wiring for my Boler.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #3

I do have an inverter, electric brakes and a battery monitor. I am not sure what size the wires are but they are much thinner than the cable that connect the two batteries. Will have to crawl under the trailer tommorrow and see where the wires lead.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #4

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1999 Bigfoot 21RB 2500
British Columbia
Registry
I have just bought a Bigfoot I am not sure on the wiring but Iknow on most trailers white is the negative post and the black is positive post ,so you have two blacks one coming from your car/truck and other black to the trailer and I dont exactlly know what the red wire is for, as my Bigfoot is not here yet ,try hooking up the two blacks you should have 12 volt lights workingin the trailer ,red wire is positive lead for something else in your trailer,also did you buy it knew or used it could be something that somebody added, anyway good luck ,this should help you out..... Rick.......
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 AM   #5

Quote:
I have just bought a Bigfoot I am not sure on the wiring but Iknow on most trailers white is the negative post and the black is positive post ,so you have two blacks one coming from your car/truck and other black to the trailer and I dont exactlly know what the red wire is for, as my Bigfoot is not here yet ,try hooking up the two blacks you should have 12 volt lights workingin the trailer ,red wire is positive lead for something else in your trailer,also did you buy it knew or used it could be something that somebody added, anyway good luck ,this should help you out..... Rick.......
Thank you for your reply Rick - I even found the original Bigfoot dealer repair shop to find out - according to them the red and the black wires would be positive and the white wire would be negative. The last owner had added heavy duty cables for a breathing machine but we disconnected those - not sure if the remaining wiring was changed. I read on a website that if you test the wires with an ohm meter it would tell you if they are positive or negative - I get a 4.4 reading for one of the black wires but nothing for the others (whatever that means ). I gave it a try with my limited abilities but will probably take the trailer to an RV shop, I need them to check my propane system anyway - I may have a leak.
Oh, when you do get your trailer I would still like to know how it was wired to the battery.
Thanks again,
Carol
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Carol yeh I think the red wire is for the trailer brakes ,if you can wait till Sat as I dont think your going camping yet I will let you know. Rick PS nice to chat with asome from BC
Old 04-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't rely on the color codes too much because sometimes people with home wiring experience get involved and use black or red for positive, whereas automotive wiring generally uses red for positive and black for negative.

At the battery, the positive wire will normally be the one with the fuse or circuit breaker on it, but it's always best to check with a meter to be sure.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Yes, what Pete said.

You have to meter the unknown wires out or trace the wires to their connection points. In the case of the brake switch, it should be easy because the switch is located on the tongue of the trailer. A positive wire will come from the battery, mostly likely a 16 gauge red wire, and attach to one side of the brake switch.

Dean
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #9

Well we figured it out - found that the only wires that we needed was a white ground and a black - positive. We removed the rest of the wires - they weren't even connected to anything! We borrowed a multi-meter that beeps if the wire is ground - the only problem was that there was a beep for both wires. My husband got frustrated and just connected them anyway - not wise, but everything works now. Have learned a little more about the trailer - thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Carol You cant just not hook up wires you have to figure out where they go it is probably to trailer from auto or somewhere ,My trailer is being delivered tomorrow and then I will know more about the Bigfoot wiring but usually all wiring on most rv's are the same ,same colours and what they are for and what they do,do you not have a manual or just go to google and type in Bigfoot wiring it might work,anyway stay in touch and goog luck... Rick...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Center Bath
Hi Carol,

Could you please tell me how you got 2 6V batteries on a 17' Bigfoot trailer

Thanks

Bill

Tags
battery, bigfoot