Battery in a 1973 13' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2003, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Battery in a 1973 13' Scamp?

Ok I know this seems like a stupid question but this is my first trailer and Im in the dark. There is no battery but i found a battery box under the storage compartment under the drivers side kitchen table storage. There is two small wires that are just loose in there I am assuming they are for it. There is also what looks to be a water pump as it is plumbed in-line from the fresh water source. Do I need this battery and pump? The sink has a pump type faucet. Sorry about all the dumb questions im just " in the dark." Thanks again for any assistance you can lend me. We are leaving in 2 months for a 7600 mile trip so I'm trying to get the trailer dialed in and safe.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #2

Scamps have come in a good many configurations over the years. I'm not sure what would have been there in 1973, or what's been modified since. But, some Scamps have a mix of 110v and 12v lighting. Some have only 12v. If you want lights while camping, you have to have either an electric site or a battery. If you have a power converter, and are plugged in to shore power, that will power both the pump and the 12v lights. If you don't have a converter, you will only have 110v lights (if present). The faucet can be hand-pumped (check to see if the hand pump works - the seals tend to dry out over the years).

Long and short - Do you have a converter? If so, and if you will get an electric site, you don't need a battery.

Old 05-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #3

a pump and a hand pump faucet. :conf that is something to think about. if you have hot water or a shower maybe you would need a pump? ones for boondocking and ones - na :nope that won't work. :wak
I don't know! :huh

Old 05-08-2003, 02:13 PM   #4

Ok, so on my trip we are planning at only camping at places with shore power so I shouldnt need the battery unless there is no power. Good one less thing to do before the trip. As far as the faucet it has a up/down type lever on the right side as you look at it but I believe I need to replace the whole unit as the spigot is falling off. It has no hot water just cold water and Im not sure if the water pump even works or if it requires the battery to work, I havnt' had a chance to check it out since we are working on the new floors. Thanks again for any help you all can provide.

Tags
battery, scamp