Battery position on a Compact Jr.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #15
Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Compact jr. Battery

I moved the battery to the inside right over the axle and got rid of the big steel box that was on the hitch.. The hitch weight dropped from about 200 pounds to 120 so I think that is good.. This was with the trailer unloaded so when we get it loaded we will check again but I think I should be at 150 max at that point..
I built a battery holder out of a plastic letter file I got a walmart and vented it out the side so I think I should be OK...
I need to weigh this rig as soon as I get all the mods done so I can figure if I need to do any more weight distribution stuff.. Any of you guys know the unloaded weights of you rigs?

Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Had to chime in - looks like we are embarking on the same project at the same time and might be able to help one another. Our '72 Compact Jr is also just starting restoration now, 3/2016. How is yours going, dgjackson40 and Arizona3313?

MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #17
Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Resoration Project

I am about done with it.. I bought a messed up rig that someone started redoing and completely redid it. I got rid of the closet area area and put an enclosed bath with toiet in its place, Then built a closet area between the twin beds with a Dorm type electric refrigerator at the bottom. To power it I installed a large inverter then installed a 30 amp voltage converter to charge the battery and lighting for the rig. Installed a small tv with DVD and a Wave heater. We then made new canvas for the pottop and the wife redid all of the seating areas and window coverings. I put a storage box on the hitch and put a 40 watt solar panel on it.. That is about it for now but a new stove and tongue jack are next. We weighed it and it came out to 1360 lb with most of the camping junk in it. We took it out and got about 17mpg with the first trip. It pulled like a dream..
Good luck with your retro job. If you like send me a direct Email and I will send you a couple of pictures..

Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote