Battery position on a Compact Jr.. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Name: Rollie
Trailer: Currently shopping
Arizona
Battery position on a Compact Jr..

I am redoing a 72 jr and was wondering where the original battery position was for these rigs. The previous owner had it by the hitch but I have heard that it was inside some where.. Any feedback I could get would be appreciated..
Thanks
Arizona3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona3313 View Post
I am redoing a 72 jr and was wondering where the original battery position was for these rigs. The previous owner had it by the hitch but I have heard that it was inside some where.. Any feedback I could get would be appreciated..
Thanks
That trailer is naturally light in the front, I think you would find that the extra weight on the tongue would be an asset.
The apparent original location on both of the ones I have owned was all the way aft inside the port side (curbside) bench.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #3

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
I have a 73 Compact II, they have a U shaped gaucho dining area and the battery is inside under the front dinette bench under the front window, basically as far forward and in the middle. I find it is helpful to weigh down the front tongue weight. These little guys have a tendency to be light on the hitch.
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nobody has mentioned that if the battery is placed inside, it needs to be in a sealed battery box that is vented to the outside.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Jayco
Missouri
I can see already with my first post you are going to become my friend!! I just began tear down of my 72' Compact Jr this week. I am uncertain if the battery in mine was in the original location but before I gutted the interior it was located directly underneath the "ice box" in the cabinet directly in front of the wheel well.

I joined this site tonight looking for pointers when I begin recreating the interior after restoring the frame.
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Jayco
Missouri
You are going to become a forum friend hopefully as I began a frame up restoration of my 72' Compact Jr this week. I am uncertain if the battery in my camper was in the original location but it was located directly under the "ice box" in the cabinet directly in front of the wheel well.

Not sure where I will relocate it as I just started this project and am unsure of a layout just yet. I joined this forum to get ideas and pointers for the resurrection.
dgjackson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks
Compact Jr is different from Compact 11. My 1972 Compact Jr had the battery located inside the kitchen cabinet below the sink. I have relocated it outside on the tongue for 2 reasons:
1 Battery was located inside (not even in a battery box!) with no venting to outside!)
2. Wanted to increase tongue weight.
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #8

Arizona
Thanks for the info

My Compact Jr has been worked over a couple of times by previous owners the last one put a big steel box on the hitch and put the propane tank and battery up there so the hitch weight , with the trailer empty, was over 200 pounds.. I am going to get rid of the metal box but I was wondering about moving the battery.. so the info you guys gave me let me know where it was placed originally..
I am completely redoing, almost done, the inside of the rig including the top canvas and all the soft goods in the trailer plus I reconfigured the cabinet area into a bathroom, added an airconditioner and compressor type refrigerator so I know that this has added some weight to the rig and I do not want to overload the hitch..
You guys that have owned one of these before can you tell me if the battery had any special venting for it.
Thanks guys..
Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
My battery is on the tongue also.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr has no battery and I see no evidence that it ever had one.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
Like Tom, my '71 Compact Jr has no battery, and I bought it from the original owner, and saw no evidence it ever had one. Have considered adding one, but haven't done it yet...
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Our Compact II had no battery. Like others have said, a great spot is that forwardmost locker. We put in a battery box and group 27 gel cell. Gel does not gas like lead acid.

We are still light on the tongue

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...I reconfigured the cabinet area into a bathroom, added an airconditioner and compressor type refrigerator so I know that this has added some weight to the rig and I do not want to overload the hitch...
Given that most of your modifications are over and behind the axle, you may actually end up too light on the hitch. Might be a good idea to weigh your trailer before making final decisions about where to put the battery, and what to put on the tongue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #14

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
I would leave it out side
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Arizona
Compact jr. Battery

I moved the battery to the inside right over the axle and got rid of the big steel box that was on the hitch.. The hitch weight dropped from about 200 pounds to 120 so I think that is good.. This was with the trailer unloaded so when we get it loaded we will check again but I think I should be at 150 max at that point..
I built a battery holder out of a plastic letter file I got a walmart and vented it out the side so I think I should be OK...
I need to weigh this rig as soon as I get all the mods done so I can figure if I need to do any more weight distribution stuff.. Any of you guys know the unloaded weights of you rigs?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #16

Name: Jessica and Miles
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Pennsylvania
Registry
Had to chime in - looks like we are embarking on the same project at the same time and might be able to help one another. Our '72 Compact Jr is also just starting restoration now, 3/2016. How is yours going, dgjackson40 and Arizona3313?
MilesandJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #17

Arizona
Resoration Project

I am about done with it.. I bought a messed up rig that someone started redoing and completely redid it. I got rid of the closet area area and put an enclosed bath with toiet in its place, Then built a closet area between the twin beds with a Dorm type electric refrigerator at the bottom. To power it I installed a large inverter then installed a 30 amp voltage converter to charge the battery and lighting for the rig. Installed a small tv with DVD and a Wave heater. We then made new canvas for the pottop and the wife redid all of the seating areas and window coverings. I put a storage box on the hitch and put a 40 watt solar panel on it.. That is about it for now but a new stove and tongue jack are next. We weighed it and it came out to 1360 lb with most of the camping junk in it. We took it out and got about 17mpg with the first trip. It pulled like a dream..
Good luck with your retro job. If you like send me a direct Email and I will send you a couple of pictures..

Tags
battery