bbq stand attached to front frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
bbq stand attached to front frame?

Hi Everybody
i'd like to camp with a coleman stove/grill and have a safe, sturdy platform.
Has anyone build something that would attach to the front frame by the propane tanks and be at a working height?
Some stick-built trailers have a bracket on outside to hold a cutting board size table for a stove. Picnic tables are not always available. We may carry an extra aluminum roll up table but it is too precarious to hold a stove and still eat at the table.
I tried searching for this but I'm not phrasing it correctly.
Any options?
thanks jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
I did a quick search for "bbq frame attached to camper hitch" and lots of pictures came up. Most of them are bbq's that attach to the TOW vehicle hitch, though. Some really interesting set ups. There are a couple of pictures of bbq's that attach to the rear bumper of the camper, as well. Hope that's helpful!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I saw Flygal's stand when she owned her Scamp. It was slick!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ert-58951.html

Pictures start in post #4
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Don't laugh, but I am upcycling/repurposing an aluminum walker I pulled out of the trash for a Coleman stove stand. I figure to bolt a couple of boards on top with stop blocks so the Coleman is secure in use but the walker will still fold. The stand is a little bulky, but very light and since I tow with a full-size F-150 with camper shell I have plenty of room. I also found a metal shelf I can put underneath for (hot) pots & pans. I may get it assembled in the next few weeks and will post some pics.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
campstove platform

Maybe consider a stand-alone platform that you could place anywhere. having an an open flame above my LP tank is not safe. Yes, you could get away with it, but a tiny gas leak and.....

I had a gas tank valve go bad with a sudden big leak. Fortunately no open flame nearby and a call went out to the fire dept.

Gas expands in air and if ignited, a big fireball will engulf anyone/thing within that expansion. I spent many years investigating burn injuries. Convenience is not worth the risk.

Be safe.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I understand your point, but most LP grills have the gas tank right right under them.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's the proximity to the trailer more than the tanks that bothers me. I don't really want the smoke and smells from cooking in my bedroom.

We have also found that many places we've camped the best spot for an outdoor kitchen (shade, views, privacy) is away from the trailer. In both of these places the camper had to stay on the paved parking pad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	102048
Lost Dutchman State Park, AZ

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	102049
Pismo State Beach, CA

We've never had to deal with not having a picnic table, but if that became an issue, I'd bring something freestanding. There are lots of lightweight folding options, but Tim, I love your idea!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I wonder if you could have something fabricated like they do for the RVQ bbq's but just a table that could swing out a bit further away from the body of the trailer?
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:18 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Don't laugh, but I am upcycling/repurposing an aluminum walker I pulled out of the trash for a Coleman stove stand. I figure to bolt a couple of boards on top with stop blocks so the Coleman is secure in use but the walker will still fold. The stand is a little bulky, but very light and since I tow with a full-size F-150 with camper shell I have plenty of room. I also found a metal shelf I can put underneath for (hot) pots & pans. I may get it assembled in the next few weeks and will post some pics.
I'll be interested with what you come up with with the walker. I've got one here taking up space that I hope to never have to use as a walker again .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I found a folding table at Wally World... half plastic top, half wire frame (Ozark Mtn brand) to hold my Camp Chef oven/stove. A standard size propane tank sits underneath along with a cooler box, and prep then serving and eating for two can happen on the plastic covered end.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Over the years, Coleman has produced various iterations of a product they call a 'Camp Kitchen'. It's a combo stove stand, food prep table and sink that folds down to around 6"x18"x48" weighing 20-25 lbs. The one in the photo below is a 70's model but we more often use the Exponent version made in the 90's.

With patience, these can be found for under $50 at yard sales or on Craigslist. I don't think their current offering is nearly as durable or useful as their pre 2K products.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I have a Harbor Freight welding table for that purpose. Fire proof. 33" tall. Good sized surface area. Folds flat for transport. You can set anything hot on it. Plenty strong enough and very stable.

I haven't attached mine to the tongue, but don't see why you couldn't.

Here is the link: Adjustable Steel Welding Table
Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Looks like that sturdy welding table would also make a great platform for a portable solar panel.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
lots of ideas

Thanks for the link to Flygal Donna. I like her ideas.
Now if we made it with several articulating arms to move it further from the propane tank, Norm's concern is the tow vehicle gas tank.
The welding table looks great but is 36 lbs
I think the camp kitchens would be great for a few days stay.
I like Timber Wolf's upcycling.
We will have to explore these possibilities.
Thank you everyone, I will look up the RVQ.
We are going to be on the move almost daily and our tow vehicle has no space, and of course the Oxygen back 'bumper' is actually part of the fiberglass mold.
All other suggestions will be appreciated and assessed too.
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote