Bean is almost done---help us get the right window gasket - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Bean is almost done---help us get the right window gasket

Hi all---need help. Bean's outside restoration is almost complete---but my "guy" is having trouble finding the correct gasket/molding for the stationary back/front windows of the Perris Pacer.

I've told him about the Trim-Lok site. I'm assuming it's one of the "locking gaskets"---correct? Looks like we need the measurement of the window we are putting in and the thickness of the Pacer--right? But it also looks like there are several different looking gaskets. If you've replaced these, which model did you use? And is there somewhere to get it in smaller quantities, or do I need 100-200 ft for 2 windows???

Thanks, we've been dinking around with this for awhile, and I just want to get the info and get it done. I'm sitting here with a temp of 100 and on meds for pulled chest muscles. Not a happy camper (as they say!)

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Vickie
I went to a place that sells auto windshields etc. I was able to find a self-locking gasket that worked great and only $.90/ft. I had to buy 50', used about 24'.
Sorry I don't know the model # or name, but try to find a supply house.
Good luck,
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Vickie
Not familiar with perris pacer but most that replaced their window use something called "Butyl Tape" which can be purchased in any rv store for that purpose and it comes in 3/4" and 1" wide rolls and 15' roll costs about $10 US by me in Pennsylvania. really good stuff that squeezes down as you tighten the window to the trailer then you lightly use a razor blade being careful not to scratch the gel coat and peel the excess that oozed out the window frame.......... the finishing strips i'm not sure of.
I may be way off base on what your looking for but wanted to tell you about this and if i was to re-do my windows i would use butyl tape (not to be confused with auto fender putty).... I have a roll of butyl tape and it is really sticky stuff
Joe

Me and Vickie A above where posting at the same time and i see she has a perris pacer and knows the window type and it seems it's one of those rubber type that fits between the fiberglass and the window and if so her suggestion is a good one.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Do you need the same stuff Scamp uses? If so, Scamp sells it by the foot... order what you need.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Vickie,

What you are looking for is a rubber window molding with a "lock strip," called Self-Sealing Weatherstrip.

Basically how it works is that the molding has a slit in the middle of one face. You ignore that, install the window and molding like any other, and then after that come back and "force" a triangular piece of rubber into the slit. This forces the gasket apart and makes it seal well. This same style is used on things like school bus and heavy equipment windows.

Here is a company that makes these moldings. From them you can get one that fits your trailer and window just right. You measure how thick your trailer's fiberglass shell is and also how thick your window plastic is (or will be) and then order to suit.

In addition to the traditional separate lockstrip, there is a style with a "built in" lockstrip. It still works the same way, but it's kind of "hinged" and just flops down and gets wedged in.

One look you might like: In the separate lockstrip style, you can get a shiny silver lockstrip, for a bit of an accent. Works the same way as the black rubber one; just looks different. There is a "lockstrip tool" (they make one version) that helps to get the strip in.

Here is a link; look at the second row down, the second, third, and fourth items over:

CRL Auto Glass Weatherstrips and Moldings

Here are the tools:

CRL Weatherstrip Installation Tools

I don't know if you will be able to order from them or if you will go through your shop; but either way the golden ring is a few part numbers Your body shop folks will probably be familiar with ordering from people such as CRL.

Raya

PS: This is the same basic stuff that Scamp sells (they may get it from CR for all I know); but here you have more options for suiting the exact thickness of your trailer and window, plus the length. Also you could get the "chrome" lockstrip if you wanted to.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #6

Registry
Thanks Raya and all,

Now I'm beginning to understand. I went to the Scamp site and couldn't figure out why there was a locking gasket AND a beading strip. I had been looking at the You Tube instructions by Kevin61, and he didn't have 2 parts. Just one rubber seal---that must be the one with the "built-in" lockstrip.

I'll pass all this info on to the body guy.

Vickie
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #7

Registry
Windows are in!!!! They will be tinted tomorrow and then Bean will be coming home. Of course, the temp. is supposed to hit below freezing tomorrow night-----now where is that pink stuff???
Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Seems that I should have taken photos before I removed and disassembled the front and rear flap windows on my '76 Scamp 13 footer. I can see how the bulb seal part slides in but either I have the wrong glazing strip or I've forgotten how to put it in place. Does anyone have any photos, particularly end-on, of this window?
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #10

Registry
Hi Mike,

There's a gentlemen on this site by the name of Kevin61 who has made a wonderful you tube video about installing his window. I wish I could get it to you like a tekki---but if you google : "you tube Boler window installation" you should be able to find it easily---it has 2 parts. Or you can search on here under his name Kevin61, OR somebody smarter will jump in and get you right to it!!!!

He seems to know a lot about alot, so I'm going to go look at all the posts he's made!

Hope this helps!
Vickie
Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Vickie, thank you. The windows on our Scamp have solid panels on either side with a top-hinged flap window in the center. This flap window is the one I have disassembled. Sadly, this video doesn't apply.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #12

Registry
Darn, here I thought maybe I could help someone for a change!!! Hopefully, you'll get your answer soon!