Beauti-Tone Paint for Fibreglass? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #21

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Shades of Inyerlux.

I have mixed Interlux Brightside to get the shade I wanted. Mix some white with the yelow to get a lighter shade. I mixed some Bristol Beige with white to get the shade I wanted. Just mix all you will need before you start. Interlux recomends this.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #22

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The Sherwin Williams Company has a wide variety of coatings including marine types of urethane paints. They do offer tinting on many of their product lines. You may need to custom order as it might not be something the dealers keep in stock.

They also have a whole line of automotive paints that they sell to body shops. They are not just a house paint supplier. They are a major player in industrial and heavy duty paint applications.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #23

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
We are also adding rubberized rocker guard paint to the front of the Boler to help eliminate rock chips.

Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating | Canadian Tire
I utilized this product and regret having done so.. I used the Tan color instead of the Black found it easy to apply, as long as you spray evenly and at a rather quick pace.. If you slow down it sprays thick and starts to build up real quick.. As the song says "it looks better in the shade" having said this it sticks well to fiberglass until the rocks and loose gravel of non-paved or cement roads make contact with it.. At this point it gets chipped off by one rock at a time.. After a mere 40km of gravel road it was necessary to reapply the product to the 2 front corners.. And overcoating so that it blended in with the original application was tricky.. And Yes, I also have a rather expensive rock-guard attached to my two vehicle to supposedly stop rocks from hitting the trailer in the first place - but some of those buggars still get past the guard.. I am prepared to sand it all off but still not sure what to replace it with.. I'll be following this post
Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #24

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Alberta
Thanks for this tip, J Ron. I'm going to get in touch with the local Interlux dealer to find out more about this. How did you do it? Was mixing it thoroughly a problem?

Gerry
Gerry 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 AM   #25

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Interlux Brightside.

Gerry, boat stores normally carry this paint, West Marine is where I bought most of mine but there may be cheaper places. You can call Interlux and tell them what you are doing and they will be glad to help. Clean the surface very well and wash it with TSP to remove wax, got this at Lowes. It was easy to do, measure the amounts of both paints you mix. I also added a very small amount of Penatrol and reducer to help it flow, although this is not necessary. Use the 4 inch white foam rollers and roll it until it is sticky. Watch your roller and don't use it until it starts to come apart, small bits of foam don't look good in the finish. Rolling it until sticky will cause the roller to not last as long although they last very well. Keep a wet edge to paint to. It will flow and shrink to a nice finish. The heavier you put the paint on the longer you will need to roll it to prevent runs. Absoutely no need to use a brush at all unless to trim where a roller will not go but if the taping is well done a brush probably will not be needed. The proper primer and lightly sanding it is definately worthwhile. I used three coats of finish paint. A 4 in. roller seems like it will take a long time to do the job but it will go quickly. You can do a small area and watch it a few minutes to see there are no runs and it begins to flow to check out your technique. If your technique looks good go for it, if not wash it off with reducer and try again. I suspect your first attempt will be good. You will move slowly to start but don't be afraid of this job once you start move on quite rapidly. Roll rapidly and when tacky move on don't mess around, just do it. This paint is very forgiving. Good luck although I suspect you will not need luck.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I got interlux paint at industrial plastics and paint Port Coquitlan, B.C. . They have a location in Calgary:

https://goindustrial.ca/index.php/en/products
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #27

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
We painted our Scamp with Rustoleum TopSide in two tone paint. You can read about the paint job here beginning on post #249. This paint went on easy and I had very little tipping to do because of the extreme "leveling" qualities of the paint. Good luck on your paint job.

Tags
paint