Beauti-Tone Paint for Fibreglass? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1976 Boler
Alberta
Beauti-Tone Paint for Fibreglass?

We're ready to paint the outside of our 1976 Boler and need some advice about paint.

We've read most of the threads about various paint types such as Rust-Oleum and Interlux Brightside. Has anyone use Beauti-Tone Rust Coat (Home Hardware)? This paint is Canadian owned and manufactured so not sure if it's available in the US.

It claims: excellent rust corrosion prevention; high gloss finish; great gloss and colour retention; tintable to over 1500 colours; great for plastic and fibreglass.

Rust-Oleum and Brightside have limited colours and apparently are not tintable.

Thanks,
Gerry
Gerry 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
are you doing a roll on or spray?

will be watching

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

Alberta
We're going to do a "roll and tip" not spray. :-)
Old 03-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
A high solids polyurethane paint is going to be the type that will best resist cracking, crazing, abrasions and rock chips. It is not so much the brand name that matters as what material the paint is formulated with. The two part polyurethanes are more friendly for rolling and tipping than the one part and that information is from the Interlux company and from the local folks who paint fiberglass boats for a living.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
My vote would be to use the interlux , a little costlier but you will get better results roll and tipping and the finish will have much better UV protection.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Interesting, I have wondered about this myself. Be watching this thread too.
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
We are prepping for paint as well. We opted for Interlux Brightside. We're on the B.C. west coast. If it's good enough for boats it should be able to handle our rain.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
Are you folks talking about repainting white or colors in some kind of art. I have seen a couple of fbgls painted and wondered how well the paint lasted
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
No we’re talking solid paint, the one limitation to interlux is its limitations on colors although with some experimenting you can mix certain colors to make it a little different but be careful as it can be an expensive screw up ! Don’t ask me how I know.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #10

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
Are you folks talking about repainting white or colors in some kind of art. I have seen a couple of fbgls painted and wondered how well the paint lasted

Yes we are going to paint white base with blue and grey stripes and highlights. All are going to be painted and no decals attached. Here's a rough rendering of what we are going to attempt:
Attached Thumbnails
boler paint.png3.png  
Old 04-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #11

Missouri
should be

well these should render some great looking jobs.

keep us posted

bob
Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Paint for protection

Look at LineX. They can match your color & do the section that need protection the most. It's not just for truck beds.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Look at LineX. They can match your color & do the section that need protection the most. It's not just for truck beds.
IF you like the textured finish that results!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #14

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
We are also adding rubberized rocker guard paint to the front of the Boler to help eliminate rock chips.

Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating | Canadian Tire
Old 04-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
IF you like the textured finish that results!
You can order that "bed liner" high solids polyurethane paints with or without texture in it. People jump to conclusions that it only comes with texture in it. The point is that it is a high solids polyurethane paint that on its own resist chipping. The texture is an add-in of rubber crumbs that further helps resist strikes by small particle road debris. The polyurethane paints have some flex to them which is why they are suitable for this application. So first the paint is formulated and after that the texture is added.

This means you can get the paints with or without the texture added to it. So you could opt to only have texture on the lower surface area facing the tongue where it tends to get the majority of the rock strikes. You would buy the regular paint and order a packet of rubber crumb additive to put into the paint used for coating that vulnerable area, or even along the last few inches all around the lower walls. It is a cost saving approach to just buy a small amount of additive instead of a whole gallon when you don't need a gallon of textured paint. It won't look all that strange and it will still be nice and shiny with a color matched to the rest of the paint job.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
LineX and all the other Bed Liner installers spray the bed liner coating at thickness's of a minimum of 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thickness.

Nobody sprays the Poly PAINT you describe to that thickness and once you have LineX on your trailer you are stuck with it like it or not!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #17

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Painting

I have painted boats with Interlux Brightside with a roller. Tipping is not necessary and will not enhance the finish. It's a very forgiving paint, easy to use. You roll it until it is tacky and it will not run but will shrink to a great finish. I like Rust Oleom paints but not their paints for fiberglass.

A two part polyurathane will give a shinier finish and look like it was sprayed even though it was rolled. I used one many years ago and chose not to do it again, too much trouble, but todays two parts that are designed for rolling on are much better than what I had years ago.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #18

Missouri
mike I admit I was scratching my head at he linex paint but anything is possible I guess

bob
Old 04-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #19

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
We are also adding rubberized rocker guard paint to the front of the Boler to help eliminate rock chips.

Rubberized Rockerguard Undercoating | Canadian Tire
On the advice of a professional vehicle painter I got a spray can of bedliner spray at ACE hardware. It went on well. Dried quickly. And from the test sample I made it sticks to fibreglass really well.

Gerry
Old 04-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #20

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
No we’re talking solid paint, the one limitation to interlux is its limitations on colors although with some experimenting you can mix certain colors to make it a little different but be careful as it can be an expensive screw up ! Don’t ask me how I know.
Mike, I can't resist — what happened? The colours we'd like (pale yellow on top and brighter yellow on bottom — the same as the original colours) aren't available from Interlux. Which is why we are trying to find a good paint that IS tintable. :-)

Tags
paint