bed woes - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Posts: 558
bed woes

We enjoy our little camper but...........how we wish the bed was REALLY double size...........or even easier to get in and out of! Hubby is getting a tad too stiff in the joints to climb over me if he needs to get up in the night.

Has anyone come up with a good solution/adaptation etc to improve the sleeping aspects of life in tiny trailers?

Just thought I'd throw out the topic and see if anyone can help.
__________________

__________________
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We enjoy our little camper but...........how we wish the bed was REALLY double size...........or even easier to get in and out of! Hubby is getting a tad too stiff in the joints to climb over me if he needs to get up in the night.

Has anyone come up with a good solution/adaptation etc to improve the sleeping aspects of life in tiny trailers?

Just thought I'd throw out the topic and see if anyone can help.
Our camper is a Scamp 13 deluxe but maybe the principle is the same...
One thing which we recently experimented with was extending the bed forward between the cabinets. Our camper has been modified to a wraparound couch so we simply used the original table for the extention and it worked great by only shortening the leg.
Here is a picture of our "King" bed conversion...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0089.JPG   DSCF0092.JPG  

__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,306
Registry
In our case we don't have an on board toilet. When one of us needs to make that middle of the night trip the takes advantage of that goes along too. That way I don't have to try to climb over my wife. Adaptation is the key to living in small trailers.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Smile Our bed solution

My wife gets the large bed and we convert the front dinette for me. Along with the gettng "more mature problem" you mentioned, I was getting claustrophobic with the two of us in that 3/4 bed.

Does your Ventura have a convertable front dinette? The picture in the gallery looks like it is even smaller than our Trillium.
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 310
We sleep as Floyd does -- with a bed extension where we place our feet and our heads under the rear window. Tons more comfy!
__________________
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,111
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Do you then un-do the bed everyday? Our sink area is right where the bed extension would go, so there would be no room to stand and do dishes.
__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
WOW, Floyd! That looks soooo comfy! Did you move the furnace from under the sink area or do you just not use it when the bed extension is out? Now see, that would have worked for me and hubby and then the kids would still have the front bunks. Will keep that in mind for the future!

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Our camper is a Scamp 13 deluxe but maybe the principle is the same...
One thing which we recently experimented with was extending the bed forward between the cabinets. Our camper has been modified to a wraparound couch so we simply used the original table for the extention and it worked great by only shortening the leg.
Here is a picture of our "King" bed conversion...
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
WOW, Floyd! That looks soooo comfy! Did you move the furnace from under the sink area or do you just not use it when the bed extension is out? Now see, that would have worked for me and hubby and then the kids would still have the front bunks. Will keep that in mind for the future!

Melissa
Actually it is both easy to set up and comfy, but we have only used it a couple of times since we have a 54" bed, which is comfy enough for us.
I did this as an excercise to illustrate what could be done with a 13, especially since the only added part needed was the original Scamp table,which I already had in the loft of my shop. The only drawback to this is that I must carry the table in the TV.
We have a heatstrip in our A/C as long we have shorepower.The furnace can not be used in conjunction with the "king" extention and the closet can only open a few inches.
On the plus side, it eliminates the crawl over problem and leaves room to stand in front of the counter and still reach the sink. Remarkably, it really feels like a "king" bed since the narrow section at the foot does not cause any of the problems one might expect.
We have found that a shorter version can give the effect of a wider bed when sleeping in the normal configuration, allowing the outboard person to sleep comfortably without feeling too close to the edge.
Measure yours and make the extension only as long as needed.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Do you then un-do the bed everyday? Our sink area is right where the bed extension would go, so there would be no room to stand and do dishes.
For the times that we used this configuration we have removed it everyday, since it is only one folding leg and merely sets on the original rails.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
How do you secure the extension to the bench so it doesnt slip off? That could be a rude awakening, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
For the times that we used this configuration we have removed it everyday, since it is only one folding leg and merely sets on the original rails.
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
How do you secure the extension to the bench so it doesnt slip off? That could be a rude awakening, lol.
it sets on the same track as it did originally but only about 22" ,which is adequate to avoid any problem.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
melissab's Avatar
 
Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Posts: 1,372
So you use it in conjuction with your smaller table for your U-Dinette setup? Which, wouldnt that make your bed smaller than 54" using the home made table without the extension?
__________________
Melissa in Florida
2016 Honda Odyssey
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
I like it!
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,043
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
So you use it in conjuction with your smaller table for your U-Dinette setup? Which, wouldnt that make your bed smaller than 54" using the home made table without the extension?
Actually, my wraparound has an adjustable base under the across section and I don't use the table at all when setting up the "king".
when setting up the regular bed, the table is 22" and the balance is 32", thereby making the full 54".
Here's several thousand words worth...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 009.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  

Pic009.JPG  
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water heater woes Dan B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 08-01-2011 07:40 PM
Water Heater Woes Roger H Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 10-14-2008 04:22 PM
Furnace Woes Joseph Olajos Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-23-2007 04:23 AM
Propane woes Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 11 11-05-2002 04:50 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.