Bedding for back dinette - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
That's about the same as the bed on our Boler was (45-ish inches). We were able to stretch it out to 48 inches by using an extension that filled the space between the end of the table and the beginning of the kitchen - but the rear bed size played the largest role in our decision to lose the Boler.

The PlayPac I gutted and refitted, had a queen-size (60x80) bed in the back by the time I was done with it. Used a residential mattress. Heavy - but very comfy at night!

My long-term plans is to pick up an older 16' Scamp and gut it out to retrofit a 60" wide bed into the back.

My point of view is that I'm spending at least 8 hours of the day in the bed - so I want that to be as comfortable as possible.

mkw

Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I tryed a double sheet on mine.. I guess if its to big you can alway use those 'sheet garders" to keep the corners down.... I bought a memory foam matress topper at walmart for $29.95 ( its not very thick) but found a flannel duvet cover ( queen size) at the second hand store... I cut it down and resewed it up.... and put the topper in that... will be easy to remove and wash it...

Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We use a double sleeping bag with dual thicknesses - the thin side goes on top in warmer weather, the thicker side is up when it's cold. Washing is no problem. Barb made several cotton sleeping bag liners that tie inside the bag to serve as top and bottom sheets. They're easy to take out and run through a laundromat. The bag itself is also machine washable, but seldom needs it.

The neat thing about a sleeping bag is that we can just roll it up against the back wall where we installed nylon webbing straps to hold it. Makes bed-making quick and easy!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
So is the back dinette in all 13' FG trailers only 45" wide? Or is it just smaller in the Trills?
I have a Surfside TR 14. One of the nice features is that it has the capacity for a small, full, queen or king bed (really!). I don't know why manufacturers today don't adopt that style as an option. The drawback, I suppose, is that the unit only sleeps two, and some people like sleeping spaces for kids, I guess. The kitchen is at the front, so they were able to move the closet up towards the front a bit more. From the door to the back, it's all dining / bed space. We turfed the dining part because we eat outside at picnic tables anyway (or in restaurants if it rains *wink*wink*). That way, the bed is made up all the time. We ditched the cushions (I was always falling through the cracks) and bought a standard full-size (double) foam mattress, plumped it up with a waffle-top Obusform and topped that with a cushioned mattress pad. Pure heaven!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #19

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
My long-term plans is to pick up an older 16' Scamp and gut it out to retrofit a 60" wide bed into the back.
I really like that idea. I really doubt my hubby and I can both fit on the Boler "bed". He'll get the front dinette bed if we can't get comfortable in the back.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #20

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Everyone has great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

I think we will just try full size bedding to start with. If that doesn't work for us, I will try making a sleeping bag liner. My sewing skills aren't the best but hopefully I can sew a few straight lines.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #21

We tried out the bed last night and both fit -- it was cozy but do-able. Our schnauzer, Duncan, will have his nose out of joint because he is actually going to have to sleep on the floor for once.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #22

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
to sleep on the floor for once. 14.gif
oh oh. My children will NOT allow that! Maybe Duncan can teach mine to do that.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #23

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I have a funny feeling that Duncan will somehow end up in bed with the two of you.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #24

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Just say "NO!".
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM   #25

Hubby says that Duncan can sleep on the front couch since the boys will be sleeping outside in their tent. I guess it pays to be a dog in our family.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #26

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I have a Surfside TR 14. One of the nice features is that it has the capacity for a [b]small, full, queen or king bed (really!). I don't know why manufacturers today don't adopt that style as an option.
That sounds like a Casita Liberty to me. Yours is unique in that it is available in a 14' long trailer, shorter than the Casita.