Bedding for back dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
I am in the process of looking for new bedding and curtains for our Trill. My question is this...Will full size bedding fit the back dinette that folds out into a bed? I know that queen size sheets are too big but am wondering how well full size sheets and comforters will fit.
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel

We have a 16ft standard Scamp. The bed in the back is 49 inches wide. I use a twin jersey sheet set on the bed. It stays on better then the set I cut down to fit the bed. Some of our friends with fifth wheels use full or double size jersey sheets on the big bed. I think some of the blanket sizes that I use are twin-full. I keep changing things. Some times we use the sleeping bags. The jersey sheets will stay. I bought the set at Goodwill because I didn't know if they would work. They worked. The trick with blanket are to have enough to cover two people.

Pat G.
Pat G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We actually prefer sleeping bags. Quick to turn dinette to bed and back again.
We're also backpackers and are very used to sleeping in sleeping bags.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #4

I thought about using sleeping bags but they are too difficult to wash. Maybe it will just be a case of trial and error.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Too difficult to wash? Wash? Wash what? Wash sleeping bags? Why, I thought it was called "camping"... you never wash ANYTHING... it just wouldn't have that friendly odor if it was washed...

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #6

Registry
Cheap solution
Old 03-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #7

Registry
And another
Old 03-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Will full size bedding fit the back dinette that folds out into a bed?
Yes, double/full sheets fit. A little big, but they work.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #9

Oh, Roger! You crack me up! But the thought of not being able to wash something after we had slept on it a few weekends makes me want to .

When I got home tonight, I measured how wide the bed is. It is only 45 inches! My son's full size bed is 48 inches wide. How are we both going to fit on a bed that small?! I think we are going to have to set it all up tomorrow night and make sure we both fit. Although I have lost about 50 pounds, I am still quite fluffy.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
In summer, we use a twin size fitted sheet, which fits perfectly over the cushions, and a full size sheet & cotton throw. In winter, we use a double sleeping bag.

Even though we are also "fluffy," we find the bed is cozy but not crowded!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I came up with a solution to this by accident.

I got several twin flat sheets to use as cushion covers. Easy to wash, dog hair brushes off easily. The sheets are "rolled" over the cushions, and tucked under. They look just fine.

I had a doggie crisis with my bag my last trip out, so I couldn't use it. I had a blanket and some extra twin sheets, so what I did was lay out the top sheet and blanket, and use the cushion sheets as, *drum roll* bottom sheets!

The top sheet and blanket (s) roll up like the bag does, and the arrangement is easily stashed like the bag in the back. The bedding is rolled lengthwise and looks like part of the furniture now.

I am going to keep it this way, unless I am doing really cold camping and the bag is needed for that added warmth. Having a real bed is nicer than the bag, but I really don't mind the bag either.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #12

So is the back dinette in all 13' FG trailers only 45" wide? Or is it just smaller in the Trills?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The bed in our Compact Jr. is 70" X 70". Wall to wall bed; wide but not very long. Luckily I'm short for my age. Tom Trostel
Old 03-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
No, some are actually 54", but those are mostly newer ones. Depends on the layout. Yes, I know the Casita Liberty has a really big bed available, but were talking most trailers. And, as Tom pointed out, the Compacts are also a little different.

My Casita has one that's 48". On the ends it narrows to about 46" but the middle is 48" as I recall. Before I switched it to a single bed, I used standard double sheets with fiber filled high loft mattress pads and it worked really well. The top sheet is a little large but you can tuck the extra on the back side. The fitted ones make a nice bed.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #15

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
That's about the same as the bed on our Boler was (45-ish inches). We were able to stretch it out to 48 inches by using an extension that filled the space between the end of the table and the beginning of the kitchen - but the rear bed size played the largest role in our decision to lose the Boler.

The PlayPac I gutted and refitted, had a queen-size (60x80) bed in the back by the time I was done with it. Used a residential mattress. Heavy - but very comfy at night!

My long-term plans is to pick up an older 16' Scamp and gut it out to retrofit a 60" wide bed into the back.

My point of view is that I'm spending at least 8 hours of the day in the bed - so I want that to be as comfortable as possible.

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I tryed a double sheet on mine.. I guess if its to big you can alway use those 'sheet garders" to keep the corners down.... I bought a memory foam matress topper at walmart for $29.95 ( its not very thick) but found a flannel duvet cover ( queen size) at the second hand store... I cut it down and resewed it up.... and put the topper in that... will be easy to remove and wash it...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
We use a double sleeping bag with dual thicknesses - the thin side goes on top in warmer weather, the thicker side is up when it's cold. Washing is no problem. Barb made several cotton sleeping bag liners that tie inside the bag to serve as top and bottom sheets. They're easy to take out and run through a laundromat. The bag itself is also machine washable, but seldom needs it.

The neat thing about a sleeping bag is that we can just roll it up against the back wall where we installed nylon webbing straps to hold it. Makes bed-making quick and easy!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #18

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
So is the back dinette in all 13' FG trailers only 45" wide? Or is it just smaller in the Trills?
I have a Surfside TR 14. One of the nice features is that it has the capacity for a small, full, queen or king bed (really!). I don't know why manufacturers today don't adopt that style as an option. The drawback, I suppose, is that the unit only sleeps two, and some people like sleeping spaces for kids, I guess. The kitchen is at the front, so they were able to move the closet up towards the front a bit more. From the door to the back, it's all dining / bed space. We turfed the dining part because we eat outside at picnic tables anyway (or in restaurants if it rains *wink*wink*). That way, the bed is made up all the time. We ditched the cushions (I was always falling through the cracks) and bought a standard full-size (double) foam mattress, plumped it up with a waffle-top Obusform and topped that with a cushioned mattress pad. Pure heaven!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
My long-term plans is to pick up an older 16' Scamp and gut it out to retrofit a 60" wide bed into the back.
I really like that idea. I really doubt my hubby and I can both fit on the Boler "bed". He'll get the front dinette bed if we can't get comfortable in the back.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #20

Everyone has great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

I think we will just try full size bedding to start with. If that doesn't work for us, I will try making a sleeping bag liner. My sewing skills aren't the best but hopefully I can sew a few straight lines.