Bedding for Goucho/Dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2003, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bedding for Goucho/Dinette

We normally use a pair of light-weight sleeping bags zipped together. In the morning we stuff them and the pillows into the left side dinette seat base which we reserve for that purpose. This system works, but has some deficiencies: 1) The light weight bags tend to be too hot for warm weather and too cold for cold nights. 2) Even though they are light weight they aren't easy to wash except in a very large capacity machine. 3) Since there are no sheets, the bags need to be washed frequently, in fact more frequently than we actually do. 4) In the evening during cold weather when they are removed from their stowage compartment, they are very cold to climb into.

I was thinking that someone must have developed a much better solution for those of us who don't have the convenience of leaving the bed made up. Or perhaps if several just tell how they do it, there will be several partial strategies that when combined will be the perfect solution of all of us!

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #2

bedding

Loren, we use a set of household sheets, blankets and pillows. You can layer to suit your climate. In the morning I fold up the bedding and stow it in a cabinet overhead.

I think you'll find that more comfortable than sleeping bags.

Old 04-05-2003, 06:55 PM   #3

I go inbetween, I use household sheets, but an open sleeping bag for the blanket. In the morning I roll it all up and stow it in the overhead. In fact I use the same system, minus the roll it and stow it part, at home.
I'm just a camper at heart.

Old 04-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #4

bedding

:wave

The first year we used sheets and blankets. The sheets(doubles) didn't fit tight. The sheet came off. We have a standard Scamp. The bed is 45" wide. The second year I looked for another way. The bed sack from camping world didn't have the right size and was pricey. I sewed rings in our sleeping bags and sewed tyes on some small sheets. Than tyed them in the sleeping bags. It worked. I am still looking for a better way. Has anyone used sheets from Penney's. I saw the catolog cared 3/4 size sheets. What size is 3/4 in inches.

Good Luck

Old 04-09-2003, 08:20 AM   #5

*I sewed rings in our sleeping bags and sewed tyes on some small sheets. Than tyed them in the sleeping bags* slick trick Pat.

I got a sheet at a garage sale once. it had elastic all the way around. it extra long, but fits any twin I want to put it on. maybe you could add elastic all the way around a fitted sheet. where it pulls in, way in. it should snug it right up, don't cha think?

Old 04-09-2003, 08:57 AM   #6

We have an antique 3/4 bed in the spare room. It's larger than a single and smaller than a double.

I just measured the mattress at around 76 x 48.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #7

Bed widths

In the household (not RV) world it think its:

Twin = 36"

3/4 = 48"

Full = 54"

Queen = 60"

King = 72"

RV tape measures seem to shrink when exposed to a sale. :o

For our odd size foam mattress, we sewed up a (top) bottom sheet that slips on like a pillow case. It's a pain to get on and off, but it stays in place while camping. Then store folded up top sheets and a light velux blanket. Our heavier crocheted cover is rolled and kept in a hikers compressable stuff bag. This and the army surplus down/feather bed roll normally serve as bolster cushions. The bed doubles as a recliner during the day (it stays 'down'). It's not Martha Stewart decor, not quite 'Grapes of Wrath' mabe something in between. :)

Old 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM   #8

Pineconedon
Eh what ever works.I think the people who build and measure these beds in RVs are having an illusion and got there tape measures at a fire sale.You know the tapes with burn't mark on one end.;)