Belly Band - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #1

Name: Katrina
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Belly Band

The belly band on our Trillium 1300 has the metal part and then a black kind of rubber strip that covers the fasteners. I'm sure you all know what I'm referring to.. My question is this: The black part has shrunk back. Any ideas of where to get a replacement for it?
Treedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
It's called vinyl trim insert. You can find it locally at an RV store. Online Amazon carries it as do folks on EBay. Typically you see black or white but I have also seen other colors. I have read the old stuff can be stretched by boiling but I have never tried it myself. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Belly Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treedles View Post
The belly band on our Trillium 1300 has the metal part and then a black kind of rubber strip that covers the fasteners. I'm sure you all know what I'm referring to.. My question is this: The black part has shrunk back. Any ideas of where to get a replacement for it?
Living in BC you should contact Escape Trailer Industries. Reace may have what you are looking for he works on other brands of trailers in his shop.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Our Trillium also suffers from this 'shrunken strip' syndrome, so, when I DO get around to replacing it (I have tried other re-lengthening methods) I will buy a strip a couple feet longer than needed and (hopefully, if time permits) lay it out somewhere outside so nature can take its course and SHRINK the insert.

The last length I bought, I first measured for the required length needed , bought and installed that length, only to find it shrinking.....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Cut it somewhere convenient then place an emblem in the gap, or a third light or a license plate holder at the back (use your imagination!)
Maybe insert a pair of LED side lights or extra taillights.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Just take a piece in to an RV shop, most of them carry it. I got ours in a roll but needed 2 to do it all.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

Name: Katrina
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Awesome info and ideas!! Thanks so much! You guys rock! I like the idea of buying an extra long piece and leaving it to "pre"shrink! Smart!!
Treedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Reece ordered in some for me but the trim is too small for my Biggar. I have an odd size so I'm out of luck so far.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
On a hot day it is easier to work with. Remove it and stretch it back to proper length as you are reinstalling the strip (like after you go around a corner). This will work for me for the rest of the season.
I am thinking if I put something a like small piece of half dowel at the end and screw or rivet or it to the band it should hold for good.
The replacement strip that my local RV shops sells is much thinner and flimsier than the original but there might be better quality out there.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
check with marine suppliers for different sizes/lengths
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I installed mine on a pretty cold day (on a Bigfoot) so I used a heat gun to warm it up in short sections as I installed it. Makes it MUCH easier to handle and manipulate into the channel.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since it will shrink after you install it, try to stuff extra into the channel. Probably best to do this when it is hot. I am not sure how much difference it would make, but you could probably push in several extra inches, vs. installing it under tension.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
we have the same issues with the bottom seals on Garage doors, as long as I was installing them, I would try to leave 2 inches or so on each side extra, because within a year it would shrink back. a hot day would be best, because you probably could squeeze in an extra half inch or so, you would just have to keep forcing a little more in at a time, working from where you started, going back to where the uncut end is
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee '79
Newfoundland
Hi, folks.

I'm looking to remove the black trim in the belly band of our '79 Trillium Jubilee to check for leaks. I see that it would be best to undertake this when its warm and it seems shrinkage may be an issue.

Where should I start in terms of removing the black band trim? And is it reuseable or will I have to replace it? The answer to that question dictates preparations and purchases I'll need to make before undertaking the project.
Appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.

Paul (Terranovafox)
Terranovafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1977
Registry
re-rivet belly band?

I have a trillium type belly band on my 77 Boler. It was super easy to buy a package of vinyl insert from an RV dealer, off the shelf, pull out the old , cracked, faded one and then starting from one end, squeeze the trim inside, working around the trailer. I did not cut until the end, and left a couple extra inches for shrinkage, making it nice and tight.

Now, I find that the metal band has pulled away from/broken off the rivets connected to the trailer. I get to remove the vinyl insert and replace each rivet. Has anyone done this? I was thinking of drilling out no more than a few, and replacing all around one by one.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Jamieb
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The problem is probably not the rivets, but what the rivets are holding onto. In Trilliums, the rivits are attached to metal plates in the fibreglass. These plates rust, then the belly band starts to fall off.

My solution was to eliminate the belly band and glass in the gap.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote