Belly Band Help! '75 Trillium 1300 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Washington, D.C.
So I went to a few places and talked to a few folks and decided to do the whole belly band. I returned the glass mat and got the long strand filler. The worst part of the trailer was the front (that I pictured in my first post) that became apparent a PO had done something with before. There was silicone jammed up in there that I had to grind out and it was an overall mess. It's also the only part of the trailer I've had to grind down bulges in the glass from the metal plates holding the rivets. The rest of the band has been much easier.
I found an adhesive 2" band at O'Riley but I seem to be doing a decent job of smoothing Bondo over the newly laid fg and I might just tape off and paint the entire band instead. I have to admit, the whole thing is going much quicker and is more enjoyable than I anticipated. I guess that's just one more thing I really love about this camper: I keep surprising myself with what I'm capable of doing! ☺️

Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
I keep surprising myself with what I'm capable of doing! ☺️
Reminds me of what my Dad told me when I was young. "Don't ever be afraid of trying it yourself, there's always someone else that can fix it but you'll learn from it". Sure took that to heart and it's served me well ever since. The hardest part is making that first cut.........

Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #17

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
So I went to a few places and talked to a few folks and decided to do the whole belly band. I returned the glass mat and got the long strand filler. The worst part of the trailer was the front (that I pictured in my first post) that became apparent a PO had done something with before. There was silicone jammed up in there that I had to grind out and it was an overall mess. It's also the only part of the trailer I've had to grind down bulges in the glass from the metal plates holding the rivets. The rest of the band has been much easier.
I found an adhesive 2" band at O'Riley but I seem to be doing a decent job of smoothing Bondo over the newly laid fg and I might just tape off and paint the entire band instead. I have to admit, the whole thing is going much quicker and is more enjoyable than I anticipated. I guess that's just one more thing I really love about this camper: I keep surprising myself with what I'm capable of doing! ☺️
I ended up having to do the same thing. I had to use a grinder to cut away some of the more 'bowed out' sections. About 3 layers of long strand later, followed by regular bondo, I taped off and painted mine. I like it a lot better than the belly band. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150322_011.jpg   P1090382.jpg  

Old 07-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #18

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
Were there any rivets or screws that hold the two fiberglass halfs together?
Old 07-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: (4) Trillium 4500, (4) Trillium 1300, (1) Scamp,(1) Burro 16'
Ardmore, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy vannoy View Post

No there's not anything like that holding the halves together, the halves are fiber glassed together on the inside the belly band just covers where the halves come together nothing structural about it.. If you ever removed one you can see that it's only held on by the screws that screw into the small steel plates inside the crack...It's one screw in each plate, if it had anything to do with holding the two halves together there would have to be two screws one for the top half and one screw for the bottom half to hold the pieces together). The belly band is only decorative.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #20

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
Thank you Randy.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy vannoy View Post
The two halves were joined together with rivets, through the belly band on the outside, and small plates/washers on the inside. This basically aligned the walls of the two halves close together, and then a layer of fibreglass was added to the inside to give it structural strength.

You can see in this image where I was grinding out the joint on the left to glass over smooth, in order to eliminate the belly band, and to the right, you can see the backing plates with the rivet in them that went through the belly band which has bee removed.

Another couple shots showing the joint.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium