Belly Band Leaking? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Jack, as Gina sez, any water that gets into the seam of a Burro/UHaul is likely to drain down and out, rather than in. Even if it goes in, it encounters the inner hull and drains down. I'd guess that B/UH have weep holes of some sort in the bottom to facilitate the process.

Regarding old caulk on Scamp bellybands, I don't believe the factory applies any caulking to this area, so it is likely from a previous owner.

FYI

There's a silicon caulk on the belly band on my 06S13.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 AM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I don't know about Uhaul, but I suspect it's the same...

The inner shell does not cover the center of the trailer. It stops at about where the carpet liner starts and it is actually a single shell for a strip down the center at the top.

I was disappointed to find this was the case (Not like it's any big deal) when I took down the shower wall material the former owner used to replace the carpet. I was chasing a leak I believed to come from old rusty and loose screw at the cieling vent.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:12 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Regarding old caulk on Scamp bellybands, I don't believe the factory applies any caulking to this area, so it is likely from a previous owner.
Pete, both the '00 19' fifth wheel and my '02 16' have factory silicone caulk on the top side of the belly-band. The factory is also using silicone caulk extensively on roof installations such as the escape hatch and fantastic fan. I had to replace several of their "sealing" dabs on both the escape hatch and FF on my '02 as they leaked.

Roger
Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
We were at the factory last summer and I seem to recall the salesman pointing out how well and carefully the band was caulked.

Dave and Diane
Old 05-15-2006, 06:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
The inner shell does not cover the center of the trailer. It stops at about where the carpet liner starts and it is actually a single shell for a strip down the center at the top.
Gina: Are you absolutley sure? It has been a while since I put in the FanTastic fan and messed with the ceiling carpet, but I seem to recall that the inner shell came all the way to the center - only the gap between the shells disappeared in that central area. That would make more sense in giving the hull rigidity. The UHauls were all built with a solar panel and a swamp cooler installed on top of that central strip - I can't imagine why they'd go to the trouble of weakening the roof by removing the inner shell in that critical area.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #20

West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
Are you absolutley sure?
Center is sickly green on the inside, and a single layer. Much to my dismay, the screws holding the fan in don't have much to bite into there, and as they aged, they rusted and wiggled thier way out.

It actually kinda makes sense.. the glass at the top folds in and is glassed onto the outer shell, effectively making inner and out shell "one".
Old 05-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #21

Check FGRV's Burro assembly manual. In the section about installing the roof vent, the drawing seems to show inside and outside walls, and instruction states "be sure not to drill pilot holes through inside wall." If it were a single layer of glass, this instruction would not be necessary. This illustration from Burro's website also shows the inner shell with a ceiling going to the center.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Scamp must have had a few too many complaints about the belly band. My 91S13 wasn't caulked, altho there was plenty of caulk on the roof vent and roof rivets.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
Jack, I was just in there doing some wiring today. I know what I see. It is single layer at the top. Take a look at the higly proffesional drawing of the roof vent installation again. You see the inner shel slope up and "Meet" with the outer shell. The carpet install drawing sort of gives a side view of this too.

Clicky here for Burros cutaway view of it.

The roof vent is not centered on a Burro, it is off center toward the street side. the side of the vent farthest over towards the street DOES lay right on the edge of the double shell, but it is maybe an inch back. If you used long screws, it would puncture the hull there.

Every where else (On the 3 remaining sides) you can clearly see the screw tips.. and in my case, quite rusted ones.

The pictures you see on Burros website are of the Escondido wide bodies. They may very well be different, and most likely are. Different molds. (I have personally never seen one) I know what my Sac City 80 is like tho.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM   #24

Gina: I defer to your experience with the Burro. The UHaul is double hulled all the way.