Belly Band Leaking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Belly Band Leaking?

I have a 1986 13' Scamp with front bunks that I am restoring. The previous owner had it almost completely taking apart when I bought it (then his girlfriend told him to get it out of the garage). There is quite a bit of discoloration and mildew on the lower part of the rat fur in all four corners. Some under the windows but not as much as the corners. I'm guessing that the belly band is leaking. It has rivets all around facing up (could water get in?) and a thin bead of silicone caulk all around that is pealing back slightly in a few places, but not so much that I could get a putty knife behind it. It may just be pealing at the edge. I'm wondering if I should remove the belly band and recaulk inside? Any suggestions? I also plan to remove all of the windows and replace the gaskets or putty as appropriate.

I tried scrubbing the dark areas of the wall carpet with a mixture of vinegar, water and baking soda. It is still drying so I don't know if it will work or not.

- Bruce
BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I would be surprised if it was the belly band, but not surprised that its a windows or vent. I'm not saying that it isn't the belly band but windows have been known to leak and run behind the rat fur.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I rather doubt that the belly band is the culprit, when they set the top section on bottom half they normally clamp them together on the outside then go inside and fiberglass a belt about 3-6" wide over the seam all the way around then spray fiberglass over it joining the 2 sections together, similar to drywall seams in a house.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
I rather doubt that the belly band is the culprit, when they set the top section on bottom half they normally clamp them together on the outside then go inside and fiberglass a belt about 3-6" wide over the seam all the way around then spray fiberglass over it joining the 2 sections together, similar to drywall seams in a house.
Okay, Thanks. I did not know that they glass the seam. Strange that the water stains are more in the corners rather than under the windows. The water must be traveling laterally some how along the insulation.
- Bruce
Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

I just found another thread that indicated that others have had problems with the belly band seam leaking.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-45430.html
Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Bruce, It very well could be, I just thought its best to rule out easier and other sources before pulling the belly band off. And when you remove the windows/vents use Butyl tape to reinstall, you can get it at Camping World etc. Good find on the belly band thread, keep us informed on your progress and finds.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's probably the belly band. I took the trim off and filled the seam with short strand fiberglass filler. If your trim is like Boler trim you will have to drill new holes for the rivets.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote