Best for batteries in winter? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Name: Yvon
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft 1992
When i have bought my Scamp 16' in 2007 it was equiped with an Optima battery and dont have any charger, I bought a Progressive Intelli-power 30 amps , i never disconnect the power on my Scamp
In spring 2009, i have bought a Bigfoot 17' and sell the scamp but i take the Optima battery of the Scamp an i put it on the Bigfoot
The power converter in the Bigfoot overcharge the battery but i see that right now,
I bought an other intelli-power converter on ebay ( a 60 amps) and i install it in the housing of the old converter box with the original fuse pannel You cannot see the modification All work well and the Bigfoot is already on power and the optima battery 4 years old was powerfull

Yvon Chayer

Yvon Chayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
I'm hoping the more learned minds can weigh in on this question - What's best for batteries during winter storage? We have the dual 6V package in our Escape 19. One option I have is leave the trailer plugged in all winter with an electric heater inside set on low. Or I can do the "detach the leads, reattach and recharge the batteries for a day or so each month" routine. A third possibility is to leave the leads attached, and plug the trailer in every few weeks to charge the batteries. I don't have a place inside to store the batteries. We will see below-freezing temps at times on winter nights, with the occasional possibility of temps getting to the mid to low 20s F.

Hi Bruce

On other RVs I have always just taken the battery out and charged it up and kept it in the house, re-installed it in the spring, pluged the RV in and that tops the battery up.
Being as this has always worked I have pulled both six volt batteries out of my Escape 19, left the little jumper cable Reace installed and hooked them up to my 12 volt charger, made sure they were charged and I have put them away and will re-install come spring.

Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
Trailer: Starcraft
Here's a writeup from Interstate battery battery storage
Bob Johnson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm trying something new this winter. I am using a small solar panel inside propped up on the bed and facing south to maintain charge of the battery. (Not sure of the size as I got it from James Kent). Keeping the battery in the tongue box.

It is a new deep cycle battery this year, with little use. I'll let you know how it works in the spring.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote