Best glue for for foam - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Posts: 3
Best glue for for foam

Hi. Newbie here. I am restoring a nine and a half foot Bigfoot truck camper a window leaked and almost all of the wood went bad. I replaced the floor stringers and foam. I had to strip almost all of the paneling.. I am curious what is the best way to glue new paneling to the old foam insulation. Epoxy? Latex contact cement? PL foam board adhesive? Styrene resin? Thank you in advance. Also, I apologize of other threads have covered this topic
__________________

Swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,195
contact cement will eat styrofoam, PL foam board adhesive is probably going to be your best bet. If you choose something else make sure the labeling says it works with styrofoam (polystyrene)
__________________

Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Member
 
Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Posts: 33
Registry
Pl premium works great.Add a spray of water to activate the set.m
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Posts: 511
I'm not sure why you would be attaching paneling to styrofoam. Usually, the glue is to attach the insulation and hold it in place and seal the spaces around it. Attaching the paneling to the stringers would be stronger? Some adhesives will melt styrofoam so check the label carefully.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,494
Water Base Glue is what works best or Upholstery glue by 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftwater15 View Post
Hi. Newbie here. I am restoring a nine and a half foot Bigfoot truck camper a window leaked and almost all of the wood went bad. I replaced the floor stringers and foam. I had to strip almost all of the paneling.. I am curious what is the best way to glue new paneling to the old foam insulation. Epoxy? Latex contact cement? PL foam board adhesive? Styrene resin? Thank you in advance. Also, I apologize of other threads have covered this topic
:
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Posts: 3
no stringers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I'm not sure why you would be attaching paneling to styrofoam. Usually, the glue is to attach the insulation and hold it in place and seal the spaces around it. Attaching the paneling to the stringers would be stronger? Some adhesives will melt styrofoam so check the label carefully.
There are no stringers in the walls, though there are in the ceiling and floor. The walls are just a sandwich of fiberglass shell, EPS foam and paneling, each layer glued with a pink contact cement.

Polyurethane glue did not adhere well gluing stringers to the floor. I ended up using epoxy.
Swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Water Base Glue is what works best or Upholstery glue by 3M
Stude
Have you used the water-based glue for a similar application? I am wondering how well it holds up to heat. I definitely don't want to do it twice.

Thanks
Swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftwater15 View Post
There are no stringers in the walls, though there are in the ceiling and floor. The walls are just a sandwich of fiberglass shell, EPS foam and paneling, each layer glued with a pink contact cement.

Polyurethane glue did not adhere well gluing stringers to the floor. I ended up using epoxy.
As few years back I insulated my foundation with ESP foam. I bought a liquid nails adhesive designed for the application. It didn't work. I called the 800 number on the tube. The guy that answered the phone couldn't help me so he connected me to an engineering type. After a few minutes chat he decided I had bought a "bad batch" and sent me a case of polyurethane adhesive. Worked like a charm. Not sure why it didn't work for you? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Posts: 511
Makes sense David. My bad, I thought you were working on the floor.
__________________

Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which foam mattress is best for our Scamp? inspector4933 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 22 10-01-2014 07:49 PM
Anyone have experience with NU-FOAM vs Foam for seat cushions? Perseustheegg Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 08-17-2012 02:20 PM
Best methods to fill holes & best glue Becky B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 19 08-11-2012 08:14 PM
memory foam vs foam rubber mattress Phillip Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 06-28-2009 07:52 PM
Adhesive to glue foam cushions together? Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 03-12-2003 09:37 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.