Best location for converter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Best location for converter?

Since I've decided to rip out all my shoddy wiring, I'd like to put my new converter in a different location than the old one. The old one is directly under the sink which doesn't seem to practical to me.

Is there an ideal location to place the new converter? My battery is located under my dinette seat (now in a battery box!) next to the sink and I'm thinking I could move that as well if need be.

Love to hear all your opinions! I've learned so much in the last couple of weeks.

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have wondered the same thing. I am going to install a "modern" converter/charger soon in my old Scamp and will probably cop out and put it back where the old one is. On the Scamp the converter is under the driver's side rear dinette seat, and the 120V breaker panel is on the opposite side under the Sink! The other way around might lead to less severe issues if there is a leak (but I am not moving the breaker panel).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my Scamp 13 the battery is outside on the tongue and the wires coming into the trailer are in the front. My front Gaucho has been cut to put a table in the center where the porta potty used to be stored. In that cutout I put the converter panel on the inside face on the sink side. That gives me that compartment to give access to the back of the panel and wire connections and ground strip. It made a good location to hook in my solar controller and wiring. it does make a longer AC connection line to the converter but I use a cut 20 foot rv extension cord for the incoming line so a little extra length wasn't an issue.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hmm. I've thought about moving the battery outside but the tongue on my Boler just fits the propane tank. My dream would be a nice large plastic (?) box mounted to the frame that would cover the tank and also hold the battery. I just can't find anything as tall as a 20lb propane tank that's also not too wide or long.

Someone on here put theirs in the closet I think? But how do you get all the wiring over there neatly?

I suppose any location for the power centre is better than under a sink!

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote