Best Roadside Assistance Plan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Best Roadside Assistance Plan?

Looking for roadside assistance for tow vehicle and Casita 16'. Massachusetts AAA, which I've had for my car, can't be extended to include trailer. Since I domicile in Mass, I need coverage that works there. Google suggests Good Sam, RVAdvisor, AARP, Allstate, CoachNet, Paragon Motor Club, and Better World Club. I'd really appreciate people's experiences with these. Will be traveling in Canada and maybe Mexico, so need a plan that extends to those places, which I think rules out AARP. Experiences?
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Lisle......

I've had decent experience over the years with the Good Sam road service package. However, my Geico auto insurance now includes (at no additional cost!) road service which I have verified includes service to my towed RV (Casita). As my Geico has been totally satisfactory for years, I will allow my Good Sam to expire and settle for my auto insurance company's coverage.

And the savings I can plow back into some road trips!

Good luck.

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: sven
FL
Aaa rv package. Covers motorcycles trailer and t\v. Have had and used. Policy written in FLA. Did you call aaa or just looking on line?
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Note on AAA, I have a friend that has the RV package. They limit to within 50 feet of a public road. Sounds reasonable, but my friend lives in a subdivision where the entire road network is private road.... Check on the nasty exclusions.

Regardless of who you get, the weakness is the private provider they contract with. Its not like Good Sam or AAA run a global fleet of tow trucks. They contract with locals to do the work, and in some areas, the locals aren't very good. Had one show up with a wooden garden trailer to pick up my motorcycle (in Rayville, LA). I took pictures. Guy asked me why: "so when it falls off your trailer". He promptly unloaded it.

My biggest problem with Good Sam is they will continually hound you for signing up for this, and sign up for that. Letters multiple times a week, plus emails plus whatever. Have to give them junk accounts or you will get SICK and TIRED of them.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Note on AAA, I have a friend that has the RV package. They limit to within 50 feet of a public road. Sounds reasonable, but my friend lives in a subdivision where the entire road network is private road.... Check on the nasty exclusions.

Regardless of who you get, the weakness is the private provider they contract with. Its not like Good Sam or AAA run a global fleet of tow trucks. They contract with locals to do the work, and in some areas, the locals aren't very good. Had one show up with a wooden garden trailer to pick up my motorcycle (in Rayville, LA). I took pictures. Guy asked me why: "so when it falls off your trailer". He promptly unloaded it.

My biggest problem with Good Sam is they will continually hound you for signing up for this, and sign up for that. Letters multiple times a week, plus emails plus whatever. Have to give them junk accounts or you will get SICK and TIRED of them.
Just call Good Sam and tell them to stop sending all the junk. It worked for us. We are life members and have their road service which has worked for us for years. We even lived on a dirt road and they had to tow our van from our garage. Our garage was way more than 50 ft from the road and the dirt roads were 2 blocks long. Then it was about 25 miles to town.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Looking for roadside assistance for tow vehicle and Casita 16'. Massachusetts AAA, which I've had for my car, can't be extended to include trailer. Since I domicile in Mass, I need coverage that works there. Google suggests Good Sam, RVAdvisor, AARP, Allstate, CoachNet, Paragon Motor Club, and Better World Club. I'd really appreciate people's experiences with these. Will be traveling in Canada and maybe Mexico, so need a plan that extends to those places, which I think rules out AARP. Experiences?
Good Sam is our vote since it covers all our vehicles including the trailer, motorhome and all vehicles. We do have to have the platinum plan since we own 2 RV's. If you only have one you can get the less expensive plan.
Some plans cover your trailer but if your tv breaks down they don't pick up the trailer. Good Sam picks up both if it takes 2 tow trucks even. We've had vehicles towed from our garage down a long dirt driveway off of a dirt road 2 blocks long and into town 25 miles. No problems. We've had tire problems that they came and put on the spare of our motorhome out on the interstate. We've used them several times over the years and so far pretty satisfied with them. They cover both of us no matter what we are driving. So Good Sam gets my vote. If you don't want their junk mail tell them to take you off of the mailing list of stuff you don't want. They will remove you. They do cover in Canada, Mexico, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. They also will tow to the nearest repair shop that can work on your vehicle not just the nearest gas station with a shop unless it is qualified.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
After having Good Sam for over six years, I had a flat on my car and I called them.

I was in the city, service provider was about 4 miles away (he called to tell me where he was)...and two HOURS later I was STILL waiting. With the call center telling me that he was in Richmond Heights (I was in Maplewood) and he'd be there in 55 minutes....that was after he called me and told me he'd be there in 15 minutes.

I called a tow service I knew and they came, changed the tire, and I was on my way home when Good Sam called to tell me it would be another 55 minutes, he was coming all the way from Richmond Heights (4 miles away). The right hand didn't seem to know what the left hand was doing. I did NOT renew.

And as someone else said, you get ALL sorts of mail from them. To my way of thinking it would be VERY easy to sign up for a service you didn't want or need, simply because you THOUGHT you were paying a bill that was due for your plan. I thought them rather sneaky.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
With Good Sam, the platinum will cover you when driving any vehicle. The standard will only cover you on vehicles you own and register with Good Sam.

Walt
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Washington
Registry
Quote:
We have had Good Sam for several years, and the one time we used it was amazing. The wrecker was there in 15 minutes with a flatbed, 5 passenger truck with a trailer hitch. Got our family to the Grants Pass Chevrolet dealer, parked our trailer in their lot, and we waited for a new fuel pump for our Tahoe. The next time was a couple of years ago, and it took a little longer, but I can't complain about the great service.
DougnVicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

Name: George
Trailer: Titanium
South Carolina
We use Coach-net it is available to Escapees & specific branded RV's. We've used in Canada without issue. Mexico? Never RV'd there. Not a Good Sam, Camping World, Gander Mtn fan to reveal my biases.
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #12

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

So true for many of us! (I have a lightweight plastic tool box, but it's got 30 lbs. of tools in it.)
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

+1 except my card is current
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
+1 except my card is current
And has a name on it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:08 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Is Good Sam slipping?

Quote:
After many years of excellence on more than one occasion, Good Sam let us down badly. Save for service "above and beyond" by an Ontario Provincial Police Officer we might be still sitting on the side of Ontario's Highway 401.

After two months of prompting, "what happened, or, more to the point, what didn't happen", the final explanation was "the operator dropped the ball". ???

There is a rumour that Good Sam no longer provides assistance on Highway 401. Good Sam's CEO, Marcus Lemonis, will neither confirm, nor deny this rumour.

Has anyone else experienced a failure-to-deliver-service from Good Sam?
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:00 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Escape
Washington
We're taking off to live full time in our escape 5.0 ta in a few months and am also wondering the pros and cons of AAA vs Good Sams. It seems most people have had good and bad experiences with both. I've never had Good Sams but have had AAA for quite a few years for our autos. I'm inclined to stay with AAA. Anyone had any good or bad experiences specifically with AAA in a full time RV living scenario? Thanks
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
I've had many years of excellent service from Good Sam, but last summer, they let me down badly.

Seeking a meaningful investigation, I cannot get a message through to Marcus Lemonis, their CEO. Beware of Good Sam and whomever is now in charge.
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
There's a road service plan offered through Allstate called Rv Roadhelp. It is different from their road service for cars.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post
I've had many years of excellent service from Good Sam, but last summer, they let me down badly.

Seeking a meaningful investigation, I cannot get a message through to Marcus Lemonis, their CEO. Beware of Good Sam and whomever is now in charge.
That surprises me that you can't reach Marcus. This year my Campground Guide didn't come for several weeks and I emailed Marcus. The next day my nearest Camping World called and said to come in and pick one up for free. I told him it was a 100 mile round trip so he mailed it to me and it came 2 days later. Marcus got a hold of somebody and it was resolved quickly. I sent my email to Marcus directly and not to a general email. Try again.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
We're taking off to live full time in our escape 5.0 ta in a few months and am also wondering the pros and cons of AAA vs Good Sams. It seems most people have had good and bad experiences with both. I've never had Good Sams but have had AAA for quite a few years for our autos. I'm inclined to stay with AAA. Anyone had any good or bad experiences specifically with AAA in a full time RV living scenario? Thanks
We like Good Sam. They will tow the trailer and TV if the TV breaks down. A lot of others don't tow the trailer if the TV breaks down. They will tow to the nearest facility that can fix your vehicle or trailer not just the nearest shop that may not know how. There is a difference in shops. Some only tow to a gas station type service center. My dad had AAA and they reimbursed him $6 for a tow. So far we've had good luck with Good Sam and they've had to come 25 miles to our house out in the country to tow a van that wouldn't start. Our garage was more than 50 ft off the dirt road we lived on.