Best rust inhibiting paint. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Best rust inhibiting paint.

I could have sworn I read a thread about this before but I can't locate it after a ton of searching.

Can anyone tell me a good (black) rust inhibiting paint to use on our Boler frame?

I want to try and make the frame look better but won't be doing an egg-off-frame job. I will likely just scrape off the worst of it and wash/clean off the rest underneath and then paint over.

Any suggestions? (please don't say rustoleum! I have heard bad things about that!)

Thanks!
Clayton
Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
I could have sworn I read a thread about this before but I can't locate it after a ton of searching.

Can anyone tell me a good (black) rust inhibiting paint to use on our Boler frame?

I want to try and make the frame look better but won't be doing an egg-off-frame job. I will likely just scrape off the worst of it and wash/clean off the rest underneath and then paint over.

Any suggestions? (please don't say rustoleum! I have heard bad things about that!)

Thanks!
Clayton
You should hear from someone tha has good luck with Rustoleum.
Use the Rustoleum Heavy Rust Primer and finish it with Rustoleum black and you should have no problems.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We use white spray rustoleum and spray the entire bottom of our trailer. I don't worry too much about life because I respray every year. We have found that since we travel so much that leading surfaces get sand blasted and need repainting. I probably do the whole job in an hour.

I had considered using Herculiner truck bed paint but not this year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A one and done solution is POR-15. You can use other products, over and over and over, year after year. Or, you can use a one and done product.

There's a reason hot rodders who spend thousands of dollars building beautiful rides, use POR-15!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
I suggest you add a little step in your process: Instead of just scraping and paint, use a rust converter product to prevent rust to lift your new finish. Got Rust? Try a Rust Converter. If not converted, rust will come back, even under the best coating. Rust inhibitor paint will slow down the process but won't stop it. Any trace of rust on bare metal will eventually lift the paint if not converted.

As you pointed out, the best protection of the frame is the egg-off frame job (ideal with the POR-15 "once and for all" plan), but using the rust converter will definitely be a big step up in that direction.

Just a little advise: rust inhibitor and metal primers need to be applied in a properly ventilated area. Metal primer fumes, even outdoor can make you feel sick. Working under the RV may require that you use a protective mask designed for volatile organic fumes.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
RustCap. WAY better than Rustoleum.
I painted two parts of a trailer, the body with RustCap, post with Rustoleum. Four years later the post was solid rust, body had bits of rust here and there ( and I had not prepped the surface much on either.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

British Columbia
Lots of good advice. Thanks everyone.

I *JUST* got a GREAT deal on a compressor so I ended up buying a sand blaster attachment. I figure I will blast at LEAST the A-frame now that I have this.

I can only assume the same paints would be good to use in case I don't get all the rust.

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Lots of good advice. Thanks everyone.

I *JUST* got a GREAT deal on a compressor so I ended up buying a sand blaster attachment. I figure I will blast at LEAST the A-frame now that I have this.

I can only assume the same paints would be good to use in case I don't get all the rust.

Thanks again!
Just try not to blast the VIN number off the tongue if that happens to be where it is....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Thanks!
Clayton
POR-15 is a well liked product and does a good job, but it is both expensive and tedious.
Wire brush the frame, wipe it down with phosphoric acid,then rinse with a sponge, spray with a a good rubberized undercoating.
The phosphoric acid will assure and excellent result, but a good result can be had without it. Cheap easy and effective. On the tongue and bumper we used a brush-on black enamel.
I used a Duplicolor rattle-can spray bedliner on the front bumper of my truck with fantastic results and, so far, years of durability. That would be great on your frame and tongue and it adheres to all sorts of surfaces without primer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #10

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Ospho, available at most hardware stores, is good rust converter, changing iron oxide to iron phosphate. Most of the converters, such as Ospho contain some kind of acid, so on non-rusted metal they act as an etchant which provides better adhesion for the primer or paint.

Last year I used Ospho on a rebuild of my utility trailer, which is and always has been stored outdoors. Light sand blasting to remove heavy rust; appied Ospho; used no primer; two coats of Rustoleum industrial enamel. Today no rust.

This stuff is good to have around. If you get some dings that begin to rust, a quick dab will stop it. A little touch up paint........good as new.

This recommendation is based on personal experience. I have no connection with Skybright Co, the manufacturer.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Be sure and wear a GOOD dust mask or respirator. Beware of silicosis!

That kind of blaster did you get, siphon or pressure? Check the air demand on the blaster. They use lots of it. You may have to wait for your compressor to catch up once in a while.

Also, down here in south Louisiana we used to be able to buy blasting sand by the bag. Now they want you to buy a pallet. NOT! For small jobs you can get away with play sand from the home store, but you may have to screen it, window screen will do, and possibly jump a size on your blaster nozzle.

Interesting story. I did some online research on using walnut shell as a non-distructive blasting agent as I can get broken bags of that from the oil field where it is used to plug porous formations and I had heard it could be used for blasting. It turns out that it's used for blasting the hulls of submarines and aircraft carriers, as it removes the top coating but left the expensive undercoatings intact.

Per my last post Ospho or some other rust converter will handle any of those small rust spots that are left. Do it right and make the job count.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #12

Name: garyc
Trailer: 1987 scamp 5th wheel
Florida
Registry
por 15 is the greatest.

Por 15 is the best there is. I have built many hot rods and always have done the frame in it. You brush it on, and when it dries it looks like you sprayed it on. And I have never seen it come off.
garycoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #13

British Columbia
Hey Clif,

Silicosis... asbestosis... halitosis... notice that nothing good ends with "osis"? =) Yeah, I have a good mask. Same one I use for doing fiberglass work... good for VOC's and all, so it's a bit of overkill but better than nothing!

I got a siphon blaster... I wanted that so I could get in the small places and not worry about a gravity feed from the top... upside down etc... it's not working so well though. It could be the blasting medium I am using... will try to bump up to the next size nozzle before I make up my mind about it. The blaster was actually working better at 40psi than it was at 90!

Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Be sure and wear a GOOD dust mask or respirator. Beware of silicosis!

That kind of blaster did you get, siphon or pressure? Check the air demand on the blaster. They use lots of it. You may have to wait for your compressor to catch up once in a while.

Also, down here in south Louisiana we used to be able to buy blasting sand by the bag. Now they want you to buy a pallet. NOT! For small jobs you can get away with play sand from the home store, but you may have to screen it, window screen will do, and possibly jump a size on your blaster nozzle.

Interesting story. I did some online research on using walnut shell as a non-distructive blasting agent as I can get broken bags of that from the oil field where it is used to plug porous formations and I had heard it could be used for blasting. It turns out that it's used for blasting the hulls of submarines and aircraft carriers, as it removes the top coating but left the expensive undercoatings intact.

Per my last post Ospho or some other rust converter will handle any of those small rust spots that are left. Do it right and make the job count.

Clif
Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
gary,

I have only recently started testing por 15. I am wondering if you have used it on any vehicles which were subsequently subjected to winter driving and road salt?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #15

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
We sell por-15 all the time to bodyshops
An where we are the rain snow salt you name it can't Hurt this product

I back this stuff
I use it on everything
Keep in mind you use the rust paint first
And anywhere seeing sunlight you will want to use a top coat for the uv protection
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #16

Name: Brayden
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycoughlin
Por 15 is the best there is. I have built many hot rods and always have done the frame in it. You brush it on, and when it dries it looks like you sprayed it on. And I have never seen it come off.
Best of the best
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
gary,

I have only recently started testing por 15. I am wondering if you have used it on any vehicles which were subsequently subjected to winter driving and road salt?
Don--- several of my cars have POR 15 on/under them-- seems to be holding up very well....
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I have also done car restoration. I like Master Series Silver. Never had it come off! You have to wear it off if it gets on you - wear gloves. 1 quart will do the whole frame. Then top coat with your favorite spray bomb enamel.
MasterSeriesCT Coating Line Rust Prevention - MasterSeriesCT
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint