Best time of year to look for a camper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Best time of year to look for a camper?

Hi all,

What is the best time of year to look for a Fiberglass trailer/camper?

I would think that September would be good, as that is the end of the summer? Am I wrong? I haven't been looking very thoroughly, but as of now, there aren't that many listings.

What about October?

While we're at it, on a completely separate topic, why would an open thread in the classified section become closed and then locked, if the person posting hasn't sold his camper yet? (I am not the person).

Thanks so much all,

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Best time to buy

Hey Margaret,
I would say a little later in the year or early next year would be best. Many who camp in the south look forward to the more moderate temps of the fall and camp well into November and December. The New England camping season for the most part wraps up after Columbus day (many campgrounds close). Check out the classifieds listings on the other forums and also some people have had good luck with Craig's list just be wary of scams. Peace!
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
Hey Margaret,
I would say a little later in the year or early next year would be best. Many who camp in the south look forward to the more moderate temps of the fall and camp well into November and December. The New England camping season for the most part wraps up after Columbus day (many campgrounds close). Check out the classifieds listings on the other forums and also some people have had good luck with Craig's list just be wary of scams. Peace!

Peace to you Wayne! I am hoping to find something in the dry Western states, not New England. But those states tend to get cold faster, unless you're in the far Southwest.

I may have nabbed something in Montana, but def. don't know yet for certain.

Thanks, Margaret
Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Personally, I don't think there is really a "best" time. Overall the market is most active in spring and early summer- more listings, but more buyers, too, so it can turn into a feeding frenzy for good deals on popular models. It tapers off in late summer and into the fall. There may be a little bump in the fall in snow belt areas when people decide to sell rather than put their trailer into winter storage. As you would expect, sun belt markets tend to remain active throughout the winter.

I think you just have to jump in and start looking whenever you're ready. I stumbled on mine in the fall when a local owner decided he wanted an ATV instead of a Scamp. Hunting season calling, maybe? Patience combined with prompt, decisive action is required in any season.

As to a listing being closed… hard to say… Generally, moderators won't close a listing unless requested by the seller or a sold announcement is posted. The seller may have notified moderators privately that it was sold rather than posting it publicly, or they may have changed their mind about selling.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
January, for RV trailers, motorcycles and bass boats. Everyone is broke from Christmas and year end taxes plus the weather is so cold you can't use any of them in most of the US.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would say just start looking and don't stop until you find "the one" among the many.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:14 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Margaret, you've been on this site for a while now. I'm sure you've seen many posts of trailers that got away from buyers that waited to long to act. FG TTs are in a very small market as you know. I really don't think that someone looking to get into the molded family should worry about a "best time" mind set. The right unit will show up and you have to jump. Folks that are looking to upgrade can wait for the "selling" season. The Montana trailer you're interested in looks like it will work for you. Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Name: Johanna
Trailer: Searching for Burro (I think)
Wyoming
Great question!

I was wondering this too, Margaret, so thanks for asking!

Here's another question RE purchasing. Besides timeline, location:

I'm also in the West and it seems like trailers for sale anywhere within 10 hours' drive cost more. If trailers on the west coast -- California, Oregon -- are the baseline cost, then trailers in the midwest seem about 20 percent less. And Rocky Mountain trailers, when they appear, seem to come at a premium of 20 percent more than baseline. I can only hope that "off-season" will also mean a price drop -- ya don't sell skis in April at top dollar -- or hope my boss will get on board with a virtually-no-notice road trip that will take me 4-plus days.
Jo in Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As other have said the right trailer for you can come up at any time.

But for sure there are fewer folks looking from late fall to early spring (Jan to early March) making for less of a buyers frenzy often giving you a bit more time to go to see a trailer as well as some price relief. Less demand lower prices.

Been successful in purchasing my last two trailers with no drama in late February early March.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Best time.

The best time to seriously look for a trailer is right now. So far I have bought three Casita's. The first in September and the next two in June. The SD17 I have now is a 2011 and cost $14500 when it was 15 months old. The best advice I can give is to have the money you want to spend in hand and be ready to drive. You set the limits on miles just as you set the limit on money. But whatever you decide, don't sit around waiting for the "correct or best " month.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Looking around the forums this year...I thought this spring and summer were some of the highest prices I'd ever seen, except for a few.
Seen folks get some pretty amazing cash for some of these. Not sure if waiting will offer better prices. I'd say no.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in Wyo View Post

I'm also in the West and it seems like trailers for sale anywhere within 10 hours' drive cost more. If trailers on the west coast -- California, Oregon -- are the baseline cost, then trailers in the midwest seem about 20 percent less. And Rocky Mountain trailers, when they appear, seem to come at a premium of 20 percent more than baseline. I can only hope that "off-season" will also mean a price drop -- ya don't sell skis in April at top dollar -- or hope my boss will get on board with a virtually-no-notice road trip that will take me 4-plus days.
There is no doubt that the location to a large urban area will indeed impact prices as well as the time of year.

I wil give you an example of this.

A member here picked up a very gently used 17' Escape up in the north eastern part of BC for a price that, well lets just say its not likely anyone will find the same deal any time soon. Something they rightly like to brag about! :lout

There were a number of reasons behind why they got that trailer at a great price 1) Seller had no use for the trailer & it had sat unused for a couple of years (owner had passed away) 2) Trailer was put on the market in a area with a fairly low population. 3) Area it was located is a good 8 -10 hour drive in good weather from major urban centres. 4) if I recall correctly the trailer went on the market in the winter or really early spring, in an area where travel to and from can be a bit shaky due to heavy snow fall and road closers due to avalanches pretty well from early Oct to the end of April. Turning a 10 hour drive in good weather into a 12 to 14 hour drive or in the worse case a 2 day drive (been there, done that). So few folks from the urban centers further south or east of it were wanting to take the chances of pulling it home at that time of year or even bothering to take the drive to even go look at it.

The trailer instead of selling in 24/48 hours as most of the trailers of the same make and size often do, it sat on the market for several weeks. As a result the party who decided to take a chance on it & purchase it without look at it in person was able to obtain it for less than the already very reasonable price the seller had put on it. To make the deal even sweeter the seller also arranged for the trailer to go to be inspected by an independent shop prior to the buyer making the purchase and in the end they also arranged to have it deliver it at no cost to the buyer 9 hours away - once the road conditions improved!

Had that trailer gone on the market in a different location &/or a different time of year, I have no doubt it would have gone much faster and a much higher price.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Asking prices can be somewhat better in late fall and winter, but not by a lot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Now that I've traveled a bit through our beautiful country in my 2011 (bought new) 13' Scamp I'd suggest that you keep your eyes open for trailers that you see parked in people's yards, in RV storage yards, gas staton, campgrounds, etc. Offer to buy the trailer(s). You never know when someone might be ready to sell and you will be cutting down your competition to zero.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Margaret, you've been on this site for a while now. I'm sure you've seen many posts of trailers that got away from buyers that waited to long to act. FG TTs are in a very small market as you know. I really don't think that someone looking to get into the molded family should worry about a "best time" mind set. The right unit will show up and you have to jump. Folks that are looking to upgrade can wait for the "selling" season. The Montana trailer you're interested in looks like it will work for you. Good luck to you.
Good information, thanks!!

Margaret
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Personally, I don't think there is really a "best" time. Overall the market is most active in spring and early summer- more listings, but more buyers, too, so it can turn into a feeding frenzy for good deals on popular models. It tapers off in late summer and into the fall. There may be a little bump in the fall in snow belt areas when people decide to sell rather than put their trailer into winter storage. As you would expect, sun belt markets tend to remain active throughout the winter.

I think you just have to jump in and start looking whenever you're ready. I stumbled on mine in the fall when a local owner decided he wanted an ATV instead of a Scamp. Hunting season calling, maybe? Patience combined with prompt, decisive action is required in any season.

As to a listing being closed… hard to say… Generally, moderators won't close a listing unless requested by the seller or a sold announcement is posted. The seller may have notified moderators privately that it was sold rather than posting it publicly, or they may have changed their mind about selling.
Thank you Jon,

I'm jumping in again!

Margaret
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #17

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in Wyo View Post

I don't live in the West; I'm just looking in the West, because I'm trying to avoid any possible mold problems whatsoever, plus things offgas better in dry climates.

Look at it this way: At least you're not buying an Airstream!! Check out the prices for used Airstreams!

Margaret
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
The best time to seriously look for a trailer is right now. So far I have bought three Casita's. The first in September and the next two in June. The SD17 I have now is a 2011 and cost $14500 when it was 15 months old. The best advice I can give is to have the money you want to spend in hand and be ready to drive. You set the limits on miles just as you set the limit on money. But whatever you decide, don't sit around waiting for the "correct or best " month.
No Steve, I'm not going to sit on my butt, LOL!!

I'm looking, but also kinda wondering what I should do if I don't find anything; that's all.

M
Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
There is no doubt that the location to a large urban area will indeed impact prices as well as the time of year.

I wil give you an example of this.

A member here picked up a very gently used 17' Escape up in the north eastern part of BC for a price that, well lets just say its not likely anyone will find the same deal any time soon. Something they rightly like to brag about! :lout

There were a number of reasons behind why they got that trailer at a great price 1) Seller had no use for the trailer & it had sat unused for a couple of years (owner had passed away) 2) Trailer was put on the market in a area with a fairly low population. 3) Area it was located is a good 8 -10 hour drive in good weather from major urban centres. 4) if I recall correctly the trailer went on the market in the winter or really early spring, in an area where travel to and from can be a bit shaky due to heavy snow fall and road closers due to avalanches pretty well from early Oct to the end of April. Turning a 10 hour drive in good weather into a 12 to 14 hour drive or in the worse case a 2 day drive (been there, done that). So few folks from the urban centers further south or east of it were wanting to take the chances of pulling it home at that time of year or even bothering to take the drive to even go look at it.

The trailer instead of selling in 24/48 hours as most of the trailers of the same make and size often do, it sat on the market for several weeks. As a result the party who decided to take a chance on it & purchase it without look at it in person was able to obtain it for less than the already very reasonable price the seller had put on it. To make the deal even sweeter the seller also arranged for the trailer to go to be inspected by an independent shop prior to the buyer making the purchase and in the end they also arranged to have it deliver it at no cost to the buyer 9 hours away - once the road conditions improved!

Had that trailer gone on the market in a different location &/or a different time of year, I have no doubt it would have gone much faster and a much higher price.
I guess I'd better look for avalanches, LOL!
Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Now that I've traveled a bit through our beautiful country in my 2011 (bought new) 13' Scamp I'd suggest that you keep your eyes open for trailers that you see parked in people's yards, in RV storage yards, gas staton, campgrounds, etc. Offer to buy the trailer(s). You never know when someone might be ready to sell and you will be cutting down your competition to zero.
Good idea, but I'm not buying in my area; too damp here.