best waterproof replacement for rivets? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
That`s #10-24 screws....the length that I used were either 3/8" or 1/2"....I used hex nuts and then followed up with acorn nuts to jam the hex nuts on to keep them from loosening......the hex nuts will take up about 1/8" of the length by themselves....went looking for screws to get the right length but can`t find them at the moment......Benny

Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
Remember, it's not the rivet that's the hole! Same kinda sealing would apply whether using screws/washers or rivets.

That probably sounded like a dumb statement....but using screws isn't going to fix a leak and in some cases (weight bearing area) can actually enlarge the hole and make any leak worse.
Hi, regular Pop rivets tend to leak between the rivet body and the mandrel bit still left in it....on Bolers, the factory used something like dabs of liquid aluminum/steel to seal the middle of the rivets....whatever they used is hard....if you used the marine rivets that the mandrel hole doesn`t go right thru,... then the sealing method would be the same as screws...just under the head of the screw or rivet......Benny

Old 06-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #17
Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor

Quote: D Shubel : <<<It made me wonder what people without a fiberglass trailer would use them for. >>>

I didn't get them just for the trailer, I want to cover screws in all sorts of places.
Usually I am working with thicker wood, so I use wooden buttons. But I am making a lighter weight box, with thinner wood, and if I drilled out for wooden buttons, it would compromise the structural integrity. These buttons can just sit on the outside of the piece. They have them at Lowes, but at 74 cents for 2, I knew I would be better off, ordering them in bulk.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
Trailer: 1970 Boler
Thanks Benny. For some reason I ordered the 10-24 screws at 1" long. Needless to sy they are too long. I'll get some shorter ones.

Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
Hi again Kurt, my screws may have even been 5/8"...not sure and couldn`t find a package of them around here....will have a look in the morning.....or maybe take one out of the trailer that holds up the cabinetry..... ....Benny