Best way to charge the battery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Best way to charge the battery?

I finally got my generator to recharge my battery on our Scamp 16.

What is the best or fastest way to charge the battery. Should I just plug in the cord from the Scamp to the generator? Or should I charge with a direct cord to the battery from the generator?

And how long does it take to top off a typical deep cell battery using wither the generator or on board charger? I tried to ask this once before and don't believe I got an answer or cannot the thread.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
What we have done (successfully) for years is to remove the battery from the unit and take it into our garage where I clean the positive and negative terminals and then place the battery on a battery maintainer till its needed in the spring. Never had a normal 12V battery go down on us yet....!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Hi Doug,
I run a C-pap with a 12 volt cord and have gotten 2-3 days out of a deep cell battery. I used it in conjunction with the furnace yesterday and the not so good battery I had went down fast. I would need to run my generator to recharge the battery as fast as possible and wonder if the on board chargers on the Scamps are as fast as direct from generator. My hunch is the generator to battery but wonder if it is a horse a piece.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
First, fastest and best are not necessarily the same.

There are a number of variables to consider. Is your deep cycle battery flooded, AGM or gel? AGM batteries for sure require special chargers made to charge AGMs.

" Should I just plug in the cord from the Scamp to the generator?" Are you talking about charging via the converter or using a dedicated charger?"

"should I charge with a direct cord to the battery from the generator?" Unless the generator is set up with a DC charge function, you will need to use a charger to rectify and control the charging.

As to how long it will take to charge the battery, that depends on the battery(ies), there condition, current state of charge and the charger you are using.

What's your setup?
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As alluded to, the "Best" and "Fastest" way are going to be different. For "Fast" a direct connection may be fastest IF the DC output of the generator is greater than that in the next idea. But a direct connection can also lead to under charging or overcharging and battery damage.

IMHO, the "Best" way would be to use a quality, "smart" charger connected to the AC output of the generator. This may provide a faster initial charge, as well as protect from overcharging. And "How Long? can't tell with the information provided, i.e. battery condition, state of charge, charging output etc. are all unspecified variables.

But, if you bought one of those economy generators that sounds like a lawnmower when running, what ever it takes may be to long for fellow campers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
The direct connection to generator is typically about 8 amps unregulated.

What is the converter output? If more than 8 amps it will be faster.

Unless you have a top quality upgraded converter, the fastest charge will probably be if you attach a good portable charger. Get a high output portable charger like the VEC1093DBD.
Amazon.com: Black & Decker VEC1093DBD Smart Battery 40/20/10/4 Amp Battery Charger: Automotive
It is 40 amp output at the highest setting.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

That's a powerful battery charger that should do both rapid charges as well as have a smart charge feature, and run off of a generator with about a 800-1000 watt capacity, but it is a bit on the pricy side.

Here's a link to the owners manual: http://servicenet.blackanddecker.com...VEC1093DBD.pdf

Old 06-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #8

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Best way to charge a battery

The best way to charge a battery with a generator is to throw away the generator and strap a solar panel on the top of the camper. The only thing you can accomplish with a generator is pissing everyone around you off. Generator is only necessary if you are running your AC or electric heater. Otherwise enjoy the peace and quiet and get a solar panel.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
The best way to charge a battery with a generator is to throw away the generator and strap a solar panel on the top of the camper. The only thing you can accomplish with a generator is pissing everyone around you off. Generator is only necessary if you are running your AC or electric heater. Otherwise enjoy the peace and quiet and get a solar panel.
Agreed.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yup....my 100 watt panel keeps the batteries charged....generator for air conditioning.

Oh next weekend I'm heading to NY to mine Herkimer diamonds and they advertise for $5 extra electricity. ...so I asked if it will run a 5000 watt a.c. unit he said no.....can I use my quiet Yamaha generator at night....was told no problem! Psych!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Yup....my 100 watt panel keeps the batteries charged....generator for air conditioning.

Oh next weekend I'm heading to NY to mine Herkimer diamonds and they advertise for $5 extra electricity. ...so I asked if it will run a 5000 watt a.c. unit he said no.....can I use my quiet Yamaha generator at night....was told no problem! Psych!
What's a generator and air conditioning?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
...so I asked if it will run a 5000 watt a.c. unit he said no...
I'm not surprised he said no, 5,000 watts is almost 42 amps and would require a 50 amp connection. I'm pretty sure you mean 5,000 BTU which would probably use less than 800 watts and could easily operate on a 15 amp (1,800 watt) circuit.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #13

Somehow I think that the question should have said "5000 BTU". if only because a "5000 watt" a/c unit would not only would turn an FGRV into a walk in freezer, I doubt if they would be lugging a Yamaha generator big enough to power it.

If they ask the right question, as most 5000 BTU a/c pull <8-10 amps, they should get an okey-dokey for shore power.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile1 View Post
I'm not surprised he said no, 5,000 watts is almost 42 amps and would require a 50 amp connection. I'm pretty sure you mean 5,000 BTU which would probably use less than 800 watts and could easily operate on a 15 amp (1,800 watt) circuit.

obviously

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
Not necessarily Bob...I camped in a different campgrounds in Pa that offer very minimal electricity...enough for my microwave but not enough for the ac unit. They mention in the form you sign no air conditioners to be run off their ac ...generators are fine. A few people up near where the ac lines start might get away with it but on the other side of the camp there would be no power.

Ace of Diamonds Herkimer mine sounds from the feedback a touch ghetto lol but they are supposed to be much friendlier then the koa camp up the road(and a 3rd cheaper)

Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
What's a generator and air conditioning?
Cant say for sure Byron as I don't have one in my trailer & can't seem to find a real need for one, but I suspect they are direct relatives of one of them there micro waves that we occasionally hear folks talk about having.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #17

Some campground owners don't like a/c's because they are often run 24/7, playing havoc with their power bill, whereas microwaves just run a few minutes a day. And the generator noise doesn't bother them as they aren't sleeping right next to one.

I have been in campgrounds where power was one price, but adding an a/c raised that price.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Some campground owners don't like a/c's because they are often run 24/7, playing havoc with their power bill, whereas microwaves just run a few minutes a day.
Yup but sadly both the ac and the microwaves seem to have a direct relationship to the generator. While the microwave will only run for a few minutes a day it sucks back enough power that one requires the generator to run for an hour to put the power used back into the battery.

Been to a number of campsites in recent years - both public and private and forest service areas were generators are not welcome even on reduced hours of use.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
And I will avoid those kind of parks/camps during the summer. Spring and fall I no longer need it....hot humid summers and wintertime different story. I was camping in Pa last weekend and actually fired the heater on for a bit in the morning, it dropped down to 50'. Short runs with the blower fan my solar panel will recover it... running the furnace 24hours straight....need either ac or a generator.

As you can see we have generator haters and lovers. Sometimes for me its just a needed tool. I'm not going to stay home on a weekend just cause its going to be 90+ degree's and real humid. Daytime I can deal with it... night time I want a level of comfort. Hence why we are in campers and not sleeping on the ground staring up at the stars like the cowboys did lol.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup but sadly both the ac and the microwaves seem to have a direct relationship to the generator. While the microwave will only run for a few minutes a day it sucks back enough power that one requires the generator to run for an hour to put the power used back into the battery.

Been to a number of campsites in recent years - both public and private and forest service areas were generators are not welcome even on reduced hours of use.

Seems like it would make more sense to run the generator for a few minutes while using the microwave...

Tags
battery