best way to fix these massive rips in closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
best way to fix these massive rips in closet

hey guys

getting almost done with the project just fixing a bunch of small things....wondering the best way to fix these big rips and tears in my closet. Ive glassed it back together in the back, but wondering the proper steps for the front....going to paint them a different colour so i'm trying to get this all figured out......check it out
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0836.jpg   IMG_0834.jpg  

IMG_0835.jpg  
thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Name: ronny
Trailer: 74 boler
British Columbia
sand
body fill
sand
paint?

if im correct, then what is the best way to get everything "flush" again because at the tears, although ive glassed them together in the back, there is still a gap between them in the front
thenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
I would grind or sand everything flush and then add a layer of glass and then repeat the sanding before painting. Glass on the back and glass on the front would make it a very strong sandwich.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
If I understand correctly, the back side will show as well as the front side when completed? I'd add the fiberglass cloth on the backside only and use the epoxy filler mix on the front side that shows more than the back side. You'll need the cloth for strength so the best you can do is put it where it'll be the least visually objectionable. Good luck, Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #5

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Own a PUP and looking for a Boler
Alberta
For something non-structural like that I would grind away the loose stuff on the back side and glass the back side with 1oz mat and GRP polyester resin.

Then grind out the front down to the new material you applied and do the same to the front.

Grind and finish sand both sides to the required thickness when all is cured.

Start with small width strips and make them wider to build up the v-grove that you have ground out and do not cut the mat with hard edges. Tear them by hand and feather them.

If done properly very little bondo or any other kind of filler should be required.
brslk is offline   Reply With Quote