Best ways to pickup and boost free WiFi signals while in motorhome? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Toyota Sunrader
California
Best ways to pickup and boost free WiFi signals while in motorhome?

Does anyone have suggestions for the best equipment and best ways to boost free WiFi signals?

I'm going to be living full-time and traveling in my motorhome and want to be able to use the free WiFi while I'm parked outside of places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. for my Macbook Pro and iPad. The distance from me in the parking lot to their equipment will require a good antenna and a WiFi signal booster. (In case its relevant, the shell of my motorhome is made out of fiberglass.)

This setup was recommended a couple years ago...

1) Amped Wireless A8EX Power Outdoor 8dbi Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna Kit mounted on top of motorhome: Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Wireless...Fi+Antenna+Kit

2) Coax cable from Amped antenna described above connects to Hawking HSB2 Hi-Gain Signal Booster inside: http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-HSB2-H.../dp/B0009MYSHU

3) Cable from Hawking signal booster connects to Sabrent NT-H802N IEEE 802.11n USB - WiFi Adpater - NT-H802N: http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=KT5750

4) USB cable from Sabrent external adapter goes to USB port of MacBook Pro.

Computer stuff keeps getting better so I'm wondering if there is better equipment and better ways to do this now?

Thanks

Steve

Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We got so aggravated with the poor Wifi at the campground where we spent last winter that we finally bought a jetpak from Verizon. However that doesn't answer your question relating to free Wifi. It's expensive but we are happy to have service wherever we want, and supposedly more secure than the public Wifi. I've heard that most car dealers also have free Wifi, and many restaurants too.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Toyota Sunrader
California
Thanks. I have a 4G Android phone with FoxFi and use Solavei for my carrier (used T-Mobile towers) which so far has no data limits but would still like to figure out a way to boost and access free wifi when possible.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
A C.Crane WiFi antenna, approximately $100 from Amazon or directly from C.Crane took care of all weak WiFi signals for me.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
C.Crane seems to have a few offerings, Carl. Which one do you use?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
What I use is, according to the box, a Super USB WiFi Antenna 3. It's about a foot long, 1 inch wide, and 1/2 inch thick. I typically hang it in a window using an S hook on the curtain rod.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Is there a booster available for iPhones?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #8

Alberta
Registry
That one does get some good reviews.

There are cheaper ones that get mixed reviews, and another more expensive one that gets great reviews too, and can work as a hotspot for more than one device, if you should be in need of that. You would be in the good books of all those near you too.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Is there a booster available for iPhones?
A big slingshot maybe.

I think that last JEFA Tech solution I posted would work, as it becomes a hotspot, and not a direct connection.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
The Super USB WiFi Antenna 3 strictly works with a PC. It plugs into USB port and requires installation of software. Unfortunately, does not work with iPhone/iPad. I use iPhone myself but unlike my notebook which I use for camping and prefer for larger screen size, I can easily walk to a location where the iPhone can connect, even though not as convenient as staying in the camper.