BIG Title transfer problem! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #41

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
That's why I got a temporary operating permit every time I used the trailer for the first year. Even though I never got stopped once and drove with out of state, out of date plates on a trailer towed by a car with an in-state plate. It was kind of a hassle- and the first permit wasn't free and was for three days. California gave me a series of sixty day permits while I was waiting for the registration to come. (I used the trailer normally that year, just always with a temp. permit.)

What I would do when you call the DMV is ask if they can give you a temporary permit. Then you are legal and your insurance will cover you.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16Ft. Spirit Deluxe
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
That's why I got a temporary operating permit every time I used the trailer for the first year. Even though I never got stopped once and drove with out of state, out of date plates on a trailer towed by a car with an in-state plate. It was kind of a hassle- and the first permit wasn't free and was for three days. California gave me a series of sixty day permits while I was waiting for the registration to come. (I used the trailer normally that year, just always with a temp. permit.)

What I would do when you call the DMV is ask if they can give you a temporary permit. Then you are legal and your insurance will cover you.
Most states won't give you a temporary tag unless the title is in the name of someone who titled it in their resident state and is signed over to you witnessed by a notary in the state you are buying it in.
In effect if you the buyer are the third party you are not getting temporary tags, till the title was signed by the second party, and the state taxes are paid by the second party, and the title transfered to the second party in that residents state, he then can sign the new title as the seller to you, and you then can get a temporary tag to get home.
Then you get a new title in your home state after you pay the sales tax in your state. This get complicated fast when you don't have the correct paperwork.
This is why you have titles and they are registered in the state which issued them.
When checking a title, if its not in the first parties name you better walk away from the deal, or you will run into a mess.
Most states but not all require a notary to witness the signing of the title by the seller.
By law a notary of which I am one cannot witness a signature on a title which is being transferred from the first party who isn't present, to the second party who never had the title transferred into their name, and then sold to you the third party.
Most people trying to sell this way are "resellers" which is illegal in all states. The fiberglass trailer market has a number of "resellers", and who are trying to avoid paying sales tax or getting a dealer license. These people are buying all the trailers they think they can make a buck on, without becoming a dealer in their state.
This may work for them but will leave you the final buyer in a great deal of trouble in getting a title for your new to you trailer.
Bob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Linda View Post
Most states won't give you a temporary tag unless the title is in the name of someone who titled it in their resident state and is signed over to you witnessed by a notary in the state you are buying it in.

Most people trying to sell this way are "resellers" which is illegal in all states. The fiberglass trailer market has a number of "resellers", and who are trying to avoid paying sales tax or getting a dealer license.
In Washington and Oregon, at least, you can buy what's called a "trip permit", which is designed for exactly this kind of situation:the need to take an unlicensed vehicle on the road legally. It isn't issued to a vehicle but to a driver. Here, it can be purchased any time and used for up to a ten day period that begins whenever you decide to take an unlicensed vehicle on the road. You fill in the vehicle information and dates-of-use at that point.
I have an old unused one (Changed my mind about that second '65 Falcon wagon!). Several years old though it is, I can still use it since none of the above information has ever been entered on it. I think most states have this kind of permit, or something like it.That's the "temporary permit" I'm talking about- possibly what Bobbi used, too.

Also, it seems unlikely to me that the seller in this situation was working some kind of tax dodge, since as a matter of the laws of the involved states, sales tax is due on neither the California nor the Oregon transaction.
California levies no sales tax on vehicles purchased and immediately removed to another state's jurisdiction.
And Oregon has no sales tax at all.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #44

Registry
I actually had both kinds of permits- a trip permit from Washington, and then when I got back to California, a temporary operating permit (like a dealer gives you) until my registration was finally issued. But that's true, I probably could not have gotten the latter without a valid bill of sale.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
I actually had both kinds of permits- a trip permit from Washington, and then when I got back to California, a temporary operating permit (like a dealer gives you) until my registration was finally issued. But that's true, I probably could not have gotten the latter without a valid bill of sale.
Go, Bobbie!!!
Doing it the right way!

Francesca
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #46

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
It isn't issued to a vehicle but to a driver.
Francesca
ahhh no, it's to a vehicle... not the driver.

"Trip permits allow temporary operation of a vehicle on Oregon's public roads and highways. Trip permits are for vehicles that are not currently registered and/or for vehicles being used in a way not allowed under the current registration. "

"Recreational vehicle trip permits allow the operation of unregistered campers, travel trailers, and motor homes that are no longer than 45 feet in length.

They are issued for periods of 1 to 10 days.

A given recreational vehicle may only be issued recreational vehicle trip permits that total a maximum of 10 days within any 12-month period."

More info here: Oregon DMV Vehicle Permits
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #47

Registry
I got 60 day passes from California.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #48

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Jen B is right.... Pa does require a personal VIN Inspection from out of state trailers. I live in Reading Pa and i went down to title the trailer locally that i purchased in Michigan and they made me go back to the house and get the trailer and bring it to them for VIN Inspection
Joe
Interesting, I wonder how the previous owner I purchased my CT from got it titled, he said they didn't do a VIN inspection, maybe he bought it in-state? Anyways, I brought it back to Ohio and had issues until I figured out my solution.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

"Trip permits allow temporary operation of a vehicle on Oregon's public roads and highways. Trip permits are for vehicles that are not currently registered and/or for vehicles being used in a way not allowed under the current registration. "

"Recreational vehicle trip permits allow the operation of unregistered campers, travel trailers, and motor homes that are no longer than 45 feet in length.

A given recreational vehicle may only be issued recreational vehicle trip permits that total a maximum of 10 days within any 12-month period."

Thanks, Donna
I should have checked out my memories of Oregon's laws- it just goes to show how much things have changed since I left the old Home State
Still, it does sound like the Oregon paper would have done the trick for Cyndi.
The one I have in my possession is State of Washington, and is as good as gold for anything that rolls!

Francesca
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #50

Registry
If there were two of you in the car, you could leave it blank and if you start getting pulled over, one of you quickly fill it out. Preferably the one who isn't driving.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:
If there were two of you in the car, you could leave it blank and if you start getting pulled over, one of you quickly fill it out. Preferably the one who isn't driving.
Bobbie!

You see right through me, you little x-ray vision devil, you
Trouble is, I'm so paranoid, I wouldn't remember my own NAME, let alone the date, etc, with a big bad Stater watching me.....

Francesca
Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Yeah we had to cough up the money for one of those permits when we went to pick up the Bigfoot because the PO hadn't registered it when the fee was due. We thought about making a run for the border but figured with our luck (and California truck) we would get stopped and fined. It was 30 bucks.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #53

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
How did Cyndivg11 make out?
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #54

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Yes, I wish Cyndi would let us know how it's going--------
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #55

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16Ft. Spirit Deluxe
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Interesting, I wonder how the previous owner I purchased my CT from got it titled, he said they didn't do a VIN inspection, maybe he bought it in-state? Anyways, I brought it back to
Ohio and had issues until I figured out my solution.
Most states require a VIN inspecton for anything bought out of state, the VIN on purchased item has to match title. Ohio requires this for all vehicles purchased out of state, most states including Ohio don't require a VIN inspecton for a vehicle which have a in state title.
Bob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #56

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Cyndi's main problem is chain-of-possession, and it's almost impossible to fudge your way out of that situation.
BUT, as if that weren't enough...
If it's the trailer in this forum at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eam-43061.html "1984 16' Fiberstream" she might have your VIN problem, too.
According to another member who posted in that thread, the seller was upfront about both defects, and willing to go to the Oregon DMV with the buyer to solve them.
And probably still is, except that Cyndi hauled it (unlicensed and uninsured) 3000 miles away from the nearest Oregon DMV office.
Quickest solution:
Cyndi must buy a short term trip permit permitting her unlicensed vehicle to travel on public highways and drive all the way back to Oregon where the seller will accompany her to the DMV office. I'm sure her insurance company will issue a temporary rider so that she needn't traverse the country again uninsured.

Problem solved!

Francesca
Not really- I drove 1000 miles a day- got up at 4 am and drove till 10 pm- for 3 days- just to GET there. I'm in no position to pack that trailer up and haul it through the winds of Wyoming, and mountains of Utah once again. That is just not an option for me.
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Not really- I drove 1000 miles a day- got up at 4 am and drove till 10 pm- for 3 days- just to GET there. I'm in no position to pack that trailer up and haul it through the winds of Wyoming, and mountains of Utah once again. That is just not an option for me.
Cyndi!

We've been wondering how it's been going.

So-
What other legal options has Connecticut offered?
It's kind of hard to visualize them communicating with Oregon in your behalf since the trailer doesn't "exist" in Oregon's system.
It may still exist in California's system, but probably as "reported sold to"... an Oregon buyer.
Hard to see any legal road that doesn't take you back to Medford, or wherever Alan lives.

Keep us posted- we're all hoping to learn from your experience!

Francesca
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #58

Registry
Smile

Quote:
Cyndi's main problem is chain-of-possession, and it's almost impossible to fudge your way out of that situation.
BUT, as if that weren't enough...
If it's the trailer in this forum at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eam-43061.html "1984 16' Fiberstream" she might have your VIN problem, too.
According to another member who posted in that thread, the seller was upfront about both defects, and willing to go to the Oregon DMV with the buyer to solve them.
And probably still is, except that Cyndi hauled it (unlicensed and uninsured) 3000 miles away from the nearest Oregon DMV office.
Quickest solution:
Cyndi must buy a short term trip permit permitting her unlicensed vehicle to travel on public highways and drive all the way back to Oregon where the seller will accompany her to the DMV office. I'm sure her insurance company will issue a temporary rider so that she needn't traverse the country again uninsured.

Problem solved!

Francesca
That is me...that is the trailer I bought!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Maybe a political solution?

Cyndi, have you contacted your state representative? All things are possible with politics. I have even heard of individual bills where something like this would be resolved through law. It can't hurt, all they can say is, "No."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Cyndi---saying a prayer for you that you find out there's a simpler solution!!!!

V
PA sure does require a vin inspection. I had to get one on my 74 Trillium- and bought that out of state in NJ.

Man 'B' seemed nice enough- I believe he will do all that he can to assist. I will let everyone know the outcome. Hopefully- he has the contact info to Man "A" who can just get a replacement title and sign it over to me. Simple.

Tags
title