BIG Title transfer problem! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #61

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Cyndi, have you contacted your state representative? All things are possible with politics. I have even heard of individual bills where something like this would be resolved through law. It can't hurt, all they can say is, "No."

Interesting idea...what should Cyndi say?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #62

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I don't think they'd even consider it until she exhausted the other avenues.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #63

Registry
While we wait...
Idea!
We may have it in our power to solve the "can't find the VIN" problem!
Cyndi, on your trip to the Redwoods in California after picking up the trailer, didn't you communicate with this site about the location of your heater?
I think Donna put out a call to Frederick (Fiberstream "expert") and he responded with the info you were looking for...
Why not ask HIM where the VIN is on your Fiberstream?
At least you'd have that info when you do whatever it is you decide to do

Francesca
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #64

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
While we wait...
Idea!

I think Donna put out a call to Frederick (Fiberstream "expert") and he responded with the info you were looking for...
Why not ask HIM where the VIN is on your Fiberstream?
My Fiber Stream's factory Serial Number (it was built before VIN's were invented) is on a thin aluminum foil ID "plate" glued to the driver's side / street side body just to the side of the front marker light, as seen in the lower right corner of this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
000_1078.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #65

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My Fiber Stream's factory Serial Number (it was built before VIN's were invented) is on a thin aluminum foil ID "plate" glued to the driver's side / street side body just to the side of the front marker light, as seen in the lower right corner of this photo:
One problem SOLVED!

One to go...

Francesca
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #66

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Assuming there is such a tag on Cyndi's trailer. But if not she might be able to use the picture showing where it should be to prove there is no VIN number.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Contacting your state representative.

Quote:

Interesting idea...what should Cyndi say?

Francesca
Tell the truth.

The Pennsylvania General Assembly - Find Your Legislator=

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #68

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

Interesting- upon another careful inspection of the documents I have- the title is NOT signed by Man "B".
I have a bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". An idea may be- because vehicles can be owned by more than one person, is to sign my name on the bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". Thus, making man "B" and me the owner. Then, I have a second bill of sale, for actually 1/2 the $ Man "A" sold the trailer for (when I bought it from Man "B"~ it truly is not in the full amount of the orginal sale) to me, which could indicate I bought him out. I could then get the VIN inspection, sign the title and Viola! Any thoughts?
The state trooper is out of the office until next week, so I have a few days to contimplate. Also, Man "B" says a senior member of the forum here contacted him- and he is hurt and upset (hopefully not too furious if he could assist me he would still be willing) his integrity is questioned. Man "B" did offer to go to the DMV with me- I chose not told. It was a Sunday (DMV closed)- and I thought this would be a no brainer. This is my fault, not his.

Also- there is no sticker on the outside of the trailer with a vin number. I do have a number stamping set- a friend at the garage to stamp a metal card- but I'd like to do this as legal as possible. I dont' want to fight the law anymore than I have to. I obtained the trailer legally through a bill of sale- the problem is just getting a title for it. Period.
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #69

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Go back in to DMV, BUT...

...this time, you take with you a print-out of this Whole-Blessed-Five-Page-Long Fiberglass RV thread. They will then know your FULL unabridged story and that you are an HONERABLE WOMAN, in that you turned down ALL devious routes to accomplish your goal.
They will also see that this is an upstanding site that has been around for a long time and is well used by knowledgeable Egg Owners.
As with many state agencies, they differ in various degrees from office to office. I bought a trailer for a friend, here in Oregon. The trailer originally came from Washington and was sold to 'another' friend of mine as an abandoned trailer (of course it had some major issues that lent credence to it's being abandoned). My 'other' friend had received a Bill of Sale from the Washington man, who 'was given' the abandoned vehicle from the property owner on which it had been sitting. My 'other' friend gave me a Bill of Sale, and I gave my friend (the last buyer of the Egg) a Bill of Sale together with the other Bill of Sale documentation. The true KEY to getting the title, after several attempts with different county DMV offices, was to go to the smallest and friendliest DMV office (a two person operation in Tillamook, OR). They bent over backwards and within 3 weeks, he received the title in the mail. Unreal that they don't always follow their OWN DMV rules and regulations and that they can sometimes find a bit of leeway!
My, MY...how do these stories get so long-winded....
Best of luck,
BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #70

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
I think "Shakespeare" might be an appropriate name for your tow Cyndivg11. It's certainly generated a lot of drama!
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #71

Registry
attempted to contact Man "A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
I think "Shakespeare" might be an appropriate name for your tow Cyndivg11. It's certainly generated a lot of drama!
Through the fiberglassrv for sale site. I see a listing for the trailer I purchased- which he, Man "A" sold to Man "B" via that site and emailed Man "A my story.

Man "B" contacted me last night via email to say he was the rightful owner when he purchased it from Man "A" having a bill of sale with both signatures. Also to say, he had no way to contact Man "A". Maybe man "a" will return my email...we will see...

Funny, I had no idea this topic generated so much response until I saw the page number in the upper right hand corner...I can't thank everyone enough for your thoughtfulness and care in helping me solve this problem. I have my entire summer scheduled with festivals! I'm ready to go...! (with or without a title.)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #72

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Well...in California Man B would not be the legal owner until Man A sent a release of liability to the DMV and it was recorded. This release is to protect Man A (in case of accidents) until Man B legally titles it which did not happen. We do not know if Man A filed a release or not, some people don't, having good faith that the new owner will transfer and register their new vehicle as required by law.

If I was Man A I would certainly contact you and get this straightened out, legally it is to his benefit.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #73

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post

Interesting- upon another careful inspection of the documents I have- the title is NOT signed by Man "B".
I have a bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". An idea may be- because vehicles can be owned by more than one person, is to sign my name on the bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". Thus, making man "B" and me the owner. Then, I have a second bill of sale, for actually 1/2 the $ Man "A" sold the trailer for (when I bought it from Man "B"~ it truly is not in the full amount of the orginal sale) to me, which could indicate I bought him out. I could then get the VIN inspection, sign the title and Viola! Any thoughts?
The state trooper is out of the office until next week, so I have a few days to contimplate.
Cyndi!
NOW you're cookin' with GAS

I think this is a brilliant idea.
It's even TRUE, sort of: you and man "B" are in a kind of "unholy alliance" partnership that you'd both like to dissolve...
If you can make that your story and stick with it you might have found a legitimate way out of this kerfuffle.
If you can persuade man "B" to provide you with a notarized letter releasing his interest to you, the subject of an intervening transaction needn't come up!
The letter should state SIMPLY THAT-his release of interest to you. The less said, the better. The State's main interest is that the line of succession of owners is unbroken, and this would satisfy that concern.
Per the missing VIN/serial number tag: You might search this site's trailer registry for owners of Fiberstreams that are the same year as yours- it may be that Fiberstream changed to a more permanent marking method by the mid-'80's (Frederick's is a '70's model ). It may even be inside the trailer somewhere, as is true of some other TT's. BUT if it was missing when California licensed the trailer, they would probably have issued a new one. I don't know about other states, but in that circumstance in Washington, they stamp the new VIN permanently on the tongue. You might call California DMV and ask them how they go about re-numbering, and where on the trailer you should look for the number as it appears on the title.
One word of caution- if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't talk (except "anonymously") to any licensing authority in my home state, no matter how friendly, until I had all my ducks in a row. I'd be concerned about inadvertently revealing to him/her information that she/he may be duty-bound to act upon, if you know what I mean.
Remember: The less said, the better.......for everyone!

Good luck!

Francesca
Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I have a bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". An idea may be- because vehicles can be owned by more than one person, is to sign my name on the bill of sale from Man "A" to Man "B". Thus, making man "B" and me the owner.

I don't think it is a good idea to modify documents. Consult a lawyer.

It is difficult to get everyone "on board" when "stretching the truth." Most people don't have a good enough memory to "lie."

"What a wicked web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #75

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...If "A" appears with a title (Ownership) and it has never been changed by the DMV... to "B" or "C"... the trailer is still his no matter who has paid whom!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #76

Name: Jay
Trailer: 70's 13' Scamp
Georgia
Registry
Similar problem...

Bought my first Scamp in Nashville and just got a bill-of-sale. Got back to Atlanta and found the unit had no serial number on it anywhere. Was not stamped on the tongue anywhere. Had a cop come out and verify that there was no serial number. Then the city issued me a VIN, calling it a home-built trailer. Attached the plate to the trailer and then had to take it down to the State Patrol to have them verify that it had been attached. Got my plates the next day. Sounds like a hassle but it really wasn't. Men in blue were very helpful.
Jay B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #77

Registry
Hi, Jay

Glad everything turned out for you!
Some title transfer situations are easier than others, all right

I wonder how everything finally turned out for Cyndi???

I hope she was able to sort out her problems...

Francesca
Old 05-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #78

Registry
...working on it...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #79

Registry
Hi, Cyndi

We're all still "pulling" for you!

Francesca
Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Hi, Cyndi

We're all still "pulling" for you!

Francesca

All I can say...the Fiberstream is titled...rightfully mine, as I paid for it from Man "B" with a bill of sale. It is legally road worthy, registered and plated!!!

Through this entire ordeal, one name came to mind (to give a name to my 'new' fiberstream trailer) since the very beginning of this title ordeal- AND, it is available as a license plate: MALARKY
What do you thinK?!!!
No more detail available...- just used my resources.

Tags
title