BIG Title transfer problem! - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #85

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Glad to hear that you got it worked out. One of the previous owners of my '84 Scamp had it registered as a home built, so I imagine they had a similar issue. The brand name is now listed as SKAM. Sounds a little shady to me!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #86

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
How do I drop you a line

about my un titled un registered Play Pac? A caretaker who owned the play pac died 15 years ago leaving it in the barn he care took. 7 years ago a lady bought the barn and contents with no listing of the camper just "contents" from the owners who hired the care taker. This week the lady who bought the barn and its contents sold it to me. I have a bill of sale only. And I cant find a VIN. I have tried many routes and am getting nowhere. I didnt read the entire thread, but do you have any advice? I am in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
AWWW!!! I can't thank everyone enough for your support! ~ Should anyone have a similar problem, drop me a line...it worked- that's all that matters! Taking my FiberStream "Malarky" to PhanPhare Festival next weekend!!! I can't wait!

Yee haw!!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #87

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
about my un titled un registered Play Pac? A caretaker who owned the play pac died 15 years ago leaving it in the barn he care took. 7 years ago a lady bought the barn and contents with no listing of the camper just "contents" from the owners who hired the care taker. This week the lady who bought the barn and its contents sold it to me. I have a bill of sale only. And I cant find a VIN. I have tried many routes and am getting nowhere. I didnt read the entire thread, but do you have any advice? I am in NY
The camper that I had prior to my Scamp was from New York.The man that I bought it from didnt have a title or a vin so he went to the DMV in New York and they issued a "homemade" title for it.He said it was really easy.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #88

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Upstate New York (near Albany)
Play Pac

Quote:
Contact DMV. I bought my Uhaul in PA & had to send the title back to owner in PA.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #89

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Upstate New York (near Albany)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty S. View Post
Contact DMV. I bought my Uhaul in PA & had to send the title back to owner in PA.
BTW, you are only about 30-40 miles from me...
Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #90

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Hi, Meghan!

In the thread you started at Hi! I just bought a play pac you say that you're picking up the trailer on Monday...
Sounds like your transaction isn't complete yet!
That's good for you, since it means the seller is still in the picture, and motivated to finish the deal!
Try to get past your feeling that you've copped a major score, and focus on the FACT that you're involved in a business transaction in which the other guy's not keeping his/her end of the bargain. You've (almost) purchased a piece of merchandise that the seller "warrants" to be usable, but without a legal title, IT'S NOT.
Unless New York is an exception to the rules of most states, you can't legally take this unit on the public roadway without either a valid registration or a trip permit.
You can't register it without a title.
Pay close attention to what comes next:
DON'T REMOVE THE TRAILER FROM THE SELLER'S PROPERTY UNTIL THE TITLE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED. This is your only leverage against the seller.
At this stage of the game, possessed of your money, all the seller wants is for the trailer to be gone. They can't "sell" it to anybody else without fear of a hellacious (promise me, now!) lawsuit from you. You're just another (living ) encumbrance on the trailer, and that's the last thing they want.
They've taken your money, and as fulfillment of the bargain, they have to assist you in straightening out the title mess.
NOTE: They also can't "make you" give the trailer back, if you want to keep it. Their obligation is to finish the deal if that's what you want.
I guarantee you that if you remind them that whatever drama surrounds this trailer's history has NOTHING to do with the bargain they've made with you, they'll very willingly accompany you to the DMV to get this sorted out- not because they want to, but because they have to!

I recommend the soft-soap "babe-in-the-woods" approach when you talk to them about this- you know, get all wide eyed when you tell them that you "want to do everything right", and you "don't want to muddy up your perfect driving record by getting ticketed", and "your insurance won't cover an illegal/unregistered tow", and etc.
All of which is true, am I right?
And don't let'em scare you by "threatening to just "sell the trailer to someone else". It's yours, they've told you in writing that it's yours, and it would be fraud for them to "take it back" simply because you have the brains to demand that they come across with the paperwork that perfects the bargain they've made with you.
Just make sure that they understand that YOU won't let them make their problem (bad title) a problem for you! You'll likely be in for the surprise of your life when they fall all over themselves beatin' feet down to the DMV

Now, make us all proud!............... Go Forth and Do Battle!

We're all rootin'for ya

Francesca
Old 05-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #91

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post

Also, Man "B" says a senior member of the forum here contacted him- and he is hurt and upset (hopefully not too furious if he could assist me he would still be willing) his integrity is questioned. Man "B" did offer to go to the DMV with me- I chose not told. It was a Sunday (DMV closed)- and I thought this would be a no brainer. This is my fault, not his.
I sure hope your JOKING!! Did you give someone on this forum permission to do that on your behalf?
Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #92

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hey Meghan!

I think I might have found what you need to know/do!

I posted this at your other thread, but I'll stick it in here too just in case you don't see it there, or in case anybody else finds her/him self in a predicament like yours.
It's from a Scooter site talking about "barn finds", which I guess means without paperwork.
If it works for scooters, it should work for trailers, too.
The site has instructions for many states, and is at Register a barn find - scoot.net

These are their instructions for New York:
Begin quote:
New York
Take ALL of these things down to the DMV, wait in line and hand them all over.
Original Bill of Sale by New York state resident(needs to include price, year/make/model, odometer reading and VIN number and the names and signatures of the buyer and the seller.) A bill of sale from an out-of-state resident may need to be notarized and include additional details about ownership history.
Completed FORM DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf802.pdf
Completed FORM MV-51B (Statement of Ownership) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv51b.pdf
Completed FORM MV-82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv82.pdf
Verification of the VIN # (tracing/rubbing/clear photograph of VIN or signed statement from a police officer)
Proof of name and date of birth (NYS Driver's license or "six points of identification" found at the bottom of NYS DMV - Identification Required to Apply for a Driver License)
Proof of insurance (original insurance card)
You walk out with a NON-TRANSFERRABLE registration and the TRANSFERRABLE one comes from Albany in 4-6 weeks. Also- it only cost someone $63.00 (and that included the tax they had to pay on the vehicle purchase price!).
If you want historical or vintage (scooter must be 25 years or older) license plates, you must mail or visit the Albany DMV directly. The local DMV office will not be able to handle this - www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv440H.pdf.
(Thanks Tom and Anna, via Stian) For reference: http://www.iscootny.com/faq
[Giving credit where due: This was written and first posted by "Chonky" (Allison) on Gotham Rally board. - Rob S.]
End quote

If you can't find the VIN/Serial #, you might have to get a new one of those, too.
Do remember that this requires the full cooperation of the seller...
Good Luck!

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #93

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I sure hope your JOKING!! Did you give someone on this forum permission to do that on your behalf?
No. I gave no one permission to contact him. Who ever it was, did some research to find out who he was.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #94

British Columbia
Registry
Ok folks so am I the only one here that thinks that something is very wrong when a member of this forum decides to directly contact one of the parties involved in a transaction that they have nothing do with, without the permission of the people involved thus upsetting both parties?

Gezzzz guys - who wants to fess up?......... a bit scary.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #95

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Massachusetts
Registry
I am curious. How many people actually receive titles for their trailers? In Massachusetts we only register them and need a Bill Of Sale to sell them. Maybe because of the weight of them or the length being less than a certain requirement for a title. Just curious. Randy
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #96

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
[QUOTE=Carol H;252869] Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11

Also, Man "B" says a senior member of the forum here contacted him- and he is hurt and upset (hopefully not too furious if he could assist me he would still be willing) his integrity is questioned. Man "B" did offer to go to the DMV with me- I chose not told. It was a Sunday (DMV closed)- and I thought this would be a no brainer. This is my fault, not his.

I am puzzled because I can not find the above post from Cyndi in this thread or on this site. Is it from another thread or site; or has the original post been edited or deleted?
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #97

British Columbia
Registry
Page 5 of this thread - dated 04-22
Old 05-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #98

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I'm with you Carol H. In certain situations people should mind their own business.

Tags
title