BIG Title transfer problem! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
BIG Title transfer problem!

I just bought a 84' Fiberstream in Oregon from Man "B" . I drove from PA for it. Man "B" bought the fiberstream from Man "A". The title is in Man "A"s name. When I went to the DMV, they said Man "B" had to put the title in his name, then transfer it to me. The problem is, the trailer needs a VIN inspection, which means the trailer has to be back in OREGON!!! Man "B" said he had no problem w/me scratching his name out and putting my name on the title as the buyer from Man "A". The problem: a title is a legal document and that may raise a red flag with a name scratched out. Option #2, which I don't know if it will work, have a VIN inspection here in PA, and somehow have the PA state trooper contact the DMV in oregon so Man "B" can title it, and transfer it to me. Any thoughts?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
By NO means scratched out the title. You will create more problems. As for having a VIN inspection in PA, and having the PA state trooper contact the DMV in Oregon so Man "B" can title it, so it can be transfer to you. I would just call them to see if that would work.
GOOD LUCK
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
By NO means scratched out the title. You will create more problems. As for having a VIN inspection in PA, and having the PA state trooper contact the DMV in Oregon so Man "B" can title it, so it can be transfer to you. I would just call them to see if that would work.
GOOD LUCK
Yes, I agree- scratching off a name would be a big 'no no.' As I said, it is a legal document. I hope the state trooper will work with me. He was here about 3 years ago to verify my Trillium, so he's aware I like these trailers. It's worth a shot!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Man "B" did not do things properly, and you reap the headache that results from his actions. Hope you can get it straightened out without too much agony.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
How did Man "B" get tags for the trailer to be able to use it without the title being in his name? I dont understand why folks would buy something and then not put it in their own name. I'd worry the person I bought it from may try to claim it since the title still shows ownership.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Did you tow it from Oregon to PA without a title and registration? If you were able to drive that distance without problems, maybe you don't even need to register it.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
If man B knows man A maybe he can contact him and have him apply for a new title and then mail it directly to you. Like the others said " don't scratch out the name"
Or
maybe you can transfer title from man B to your Pa address (mail him the paperwork) then transfer it over to you after that.
In another state i lived you where able to get a "Home made trailer title" maybe that would help.
It's too late now but when in Oregon and i saw his name on the title i would have had him transfer it then.....
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
You should be able to do the VIN inspection in PA, check for a form from the Oregon DMV for doing this. (I had that done on mine in Washington for registration in California and there was a form, any state patrol or police officer or sheriff's deputy could do the inspection so I just called the local sheriff's office and someone came out.) I'm sure Oregon will have something similar as it would be used when someone buys something out of state.

But another option would be to contact Man A and ask him to reissue the bill of sale to you; give him a copy of your bill of sale from Man B so Man A knows you got it legally. It's to Man A's advantage to get it legally transferred to you so he has no more liability for it.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
That sucks! I have not gone to transfer the title on mine yet but, It has a permanent Ca. tag and Ca. issues paperless titles on trailers, fun,fun.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
How did Man "B" get tags for the trailer to be able to use it without the title being in his name? I dont understand why folks would buy something and then not put it in their own name. I'd worry the person I bought it from may try to claim it since the title still shows ownership.
Man "B" never used the trailer. He bought it March 2010 and through the Summer his wife decided it didn't fit their needs- he never had it on the road. I bought it in Sept. but didn't make the trip from PA to Oregon to get it until 2 weeks ago.

The license plate is the original CA license plate from Man "A" with expired registration sticker.
I'm thinking of applying for a new title- so long as I have my bill of sale- that may solve PA state troopers from communicating w/Oregon and I can settle this on my own. Would that work? Can I apply for a new title?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
That sucks! I have not gone to transfer the title on mine yet but, It has a permanent Ca. tag and Ca. issues paperless titles on trailers, fun,fun.
You can pay extra to get a paper title which is important if you might sell out of state.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The title you have is from california? If so you have a multi-level/state problem.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #13

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
The title you have is from california? If so you have a multi-level/state problem.
Is it possible to say Man "B" never received the title? Can I get a NEW title issued, or would it be considered a "lost" title?

Yes, title is from California. Oh brother...
Old 04-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Is it possible to say Man "B" never received the title? Can I get a NEW title issued, or would it be considered a "lost" title?

Yes, title is from California. Oh brother...
Perhaps I can get a hold of Man "A" and have him get a duplicate title, send it to me, as the buyer. ? Would that work?
Old 04-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Getting A to send you a duplicate title would be the absolute best thing to do.

Offer a CASH incentive for A to apply for a duplicate title and send it to you. By incentive, I mean something like $100 US Dollars.

Another suggestion: Can you get an abandon vehicle title?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Is it possible to say Man "B" never received the title?
Not if man B signed the title as he did. That proves he did receive it. But he should have taken it in and gotten a fresh title in his name.

I encountered a somewhat similar situation... Floyd bought a trailer and rebuilt it, then sold it to me. He never re-titled the trailer either; but then, he never signed the title... so it never presented a problem. (There was a different problem with the VIN not matching, but that's another story.)

The way it is now, the appearance is the same as if you got hold of a title and trailer that wasn't yours, and tried titling it in your name. So you can see why your state is proceeding with great caution.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #17

Registry
It could be more of a problem. California requires the seller report the sale within 5 days. If Man A reported the sale to Man B, California now has a record of Man B owning it. You might want to call them and find out the status- did he report it or not, and if he did, what your options are.

Another potential complication- Oregon has no sales tax. California will want sales tax on the sale if it hasn't previously been paid. Or maybe even if it has, we need lots of $$ here!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Rather than guessing just wait till Monday and call Pa. title place and ask them ?

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I believe your best shot is as suggested on an earlier post here. Get in touch with man A and ask him to get a duplicate title and sign it over to YOU. If you feel he needs some compensation, that's up to you and him. Good luck!

PS--offer to send him a copy of the bill-of-sale and the old title to prove everything is on the up and up. You might also have man B call him to verify your situation.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like Bill K's answer. We can speculate all we want, but truth be told it's entirely up to your state's DMV what they require. Trying to get a duplicate title, dealing long distance with a prior owner, etc. could all be a moot point... or necessary. Talk to your DMV, then go from there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
title