Bigfoot 15B17G, How install curtains fabrics? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #1

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Bigfoot 15B17G, How install curtains fabrics?

In Bigfoot on 1986 (15B17G) which we have just acquired, there are only horizontal blinds.
Somebody would have photos or good explanation to install how curtains of fabrics in this model.
Thank You.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Gilles, this should be a pretty simple mod. Just remove your mini blinds. Then measure your windows and get some tubular telescoping curtain rods at any home improvement store, fabric store, hardware store, etc. They attach to the wall with small brackets at each end and sometimes another hook that goes into the ceiling (or upper surface of the window valance). If you or someone you know can sew, it's easy then to make your own simple custom curtains. I made all new curtains for our trailer and lined them with black-out lining so that we can keep out street lights and those big arc lights on poles at night. Here's a picture of ours:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7616 edit 1.jpg  
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Those look very nice Kathy. I wish I had that skill.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Gilles, this should be a pretty simple mod. Just remove your mini blinds. Then measure your windows and get some tubular telescoping curtain rods at any home improvement store, fabric store, hardware store, etc. They attach to the wall with small brackets at each end and sometimes another hook that goes into the ceiling (or upper surface of the window valance). If you or someone you know can sew, it's easy then to make your own simple custom curtains. I made all new curtains for our trailer and lined them with black-out lining so that we can keep out street lights and those big arc lights on poles at night. Here's a picture of ours:
Thank you Kathy, You made a beautiful work.
I look that with my wife and return to you with pictures when completed.

Have a good day,
Old 06-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Oliver Elite II (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Lil Snoozy)
Kentucky
When we had our Bigfoot, we bought some khaki solid colored blackout drapes at Walmart (they were smooth fabric & very thin for blackouts), cut them down to fit our windows (then hemmed sides & bottoms), and hung them on small tension rods that fit inside the existing cornices. That way we didn't have to take the cornices down or make any new holes. The fabric was nicer than anything I found in a fabric store.
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver Elite II (had Casita SD, Bigfoot 21FB, & Lil Snoozy)
Kentucky
One more thing...the cornices in our Bigfoot were wider at the top above the side pieces so once we got above the sides, the tension rods rested on the side pieces so I didn't have to make the tension very strong at all. Hope that makes sense.
Kentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
One more thing...the cornices in our Bigfoot were wider at the top above the side pieces so once we got above the sides, the tension rods rested on the side pieces so I didn't have to make the tension very strong at all. Hope that makes sense.

GOOD idea! I might just have to do that with mine. I have started making them but haven't put the pleats in yet. So this would be MUCH EASIER than doing all those pleats for the drape type that was like mine I took down. I found some tension rods at the thrift store so I have some on hand already.

I am also buying those things we use in our cars and trucks to block out the sun on the dash and right now I can't think if what they're called. I am buying those in the largest one I can get so I can cut them the size of my windows and then I am finishing the edges with the light gray seam binding and then putting on some hook and loop fasteners so I can put them up over the windows to block out the sun as well as the light at night time. They can just be stuck in place when needed since they'll have the velcro on the wall and the thing to keep the sun or light out. I had planned on putting a rod pocket in the bottom of the curtains to run a rod through so it would block out light at night but then thought about this idea and liked it better.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sewing curtains is about the easiest sewing job ever and a good project if you have never sewn before. Make a couple panels out of muslin or old fabric just to get the experience before you sew with your "good" fabric. See directions here https://snapguide.com/guides/make-cafe-curtains. You can hang them most simply with the "curtain clip rings" as shown.

If you want to put pleats in the top of the curtain there are many ways to do it. Check out some ideas online. If you use a cafe rod you'll need to attach curtains with rings not with drapery hooks. You need a drapery rod with hanging tiny rings in that case.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #9

Quebec
Registry
Thank you very much to all, to bring your ideas accompanied with Gilda Snapguide.
I am convinced that these ideas are going to help many members.

Have a good day,
Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Name: Eleanor
Trailer: Bigfoot TT
California
We have a Bigfoot with mini blinds and window cornices with side pieces.
I would like to remove the side pieces. Do they have a purpose such as keeping the mgniblinds from moving around to much while we're underway?
eryork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The very early 17' models had mini blinds but no window cornices. The blinds do not move at all when towing. I think the cornices are just cosmetic.

Front Dinette Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

Tags
bigfoot