Bigfoot 17.5 empty weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft CB
Does anyone have imformation regarding the empty weight of a '94 Bigfoot 17.5? Thanks, Dale H
Dale H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
Does anyone have imformation regarding the empty weight of a '94 Bigfoot 17.5? Thanks, Dale H
Bigfoot did not make the 17.5 model until 2005, the older 1500 series Bigfoots were listed as a 17 foot even though the actual length was 16' 7". The dry weight for a 2004 15B17CB was listed as 2615 lbs, and my 2000 17' model's dry weight is 2490 lbs. I expect a '94 would perhaps be listed at a slightly lower weight.

The weights of the 17 footers seems to have increased as the years passed, partially due to some options becoming standard in later versions, but more likely to more realistic numbers being quoted. In any case, the dry weight is almost meaningless as it doesn't take into account any options, no propane in the tanks, no spare tire, possibly no battery, no clothes or supplies etc. In fact, there is a itemized list of options that came with my Bigfoot, and it totals an additional 240 lbs for a actual factory dry weight of 2730 lbs. This is probably fairly accurate, as the last time I weighed my unit on a scale in camping trim, the axle weight was just slightly over 3500 lbs while connected to my tow rig. This indicates to me that the actual total weight of my Bigfoot is in the 3800-3900 lb range. It also is prompting me to replace the factory 3500lb axle with one of a higher capacity.

I would expect most recent 17' Bigfoots would average around 3500 lbs total fully loaded and ready to roll. My unit is slightly heavier due to the addition of air conditioning, stabilizer jacks and solar panels as well as a few other modifications. Early versions with few options and lightly loaded could well be closer to 3000 lbs.

If you want to tow a 17 foot Bigfoot, or any trailer, I think you should look to the total maximum GVW of the unit as a guide to how capable a tow vehicle is required and forget any listed dry or empty weights. To be on the safe side, I would add 10 to 15% to the GVW and use this figure to decide what tow vehicle to use.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft CB
Steve: thanks for you informative response.....I appreciate it. Dale H
Dale H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
My 1989 B17-DLX weighs 2618lbs, including 2 full tanks of propane.

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
This indicates to me that the actual total weight of my Bigfoot is in the 3800-3900 lb range. It also is prompting me to replace the factory 3500lb axle with one of a higher capacity... Steve.
I will consider replacing the 3500 axle too, as well as flipping the axle, in order to be able to fit the trailer with 15'' Marathons. Anyone has done this to their Bigfoots?

Yves.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
I will consider replacing the 3500 axle too, as well as flipping the axle, in order to be able to fit the trailer with 15'' Marathons. Anyone has done this to their Bigfoots?

Yves.
I have done some research on an axle replacement - if you are buying a new axle, just specify an underslung straight axle to replace the old 4" drop axle. I currently have a 3500 lb straight axle under my Bigfoot with 3/4" lowering blocks to acheive a nice ride height (3 1/4" taller than stock) with the 14" tires. The original drop axle was just too low, and a replacement straight axle tube was less than $150. Flipping the old drop axle would have been a little cheaper, but it would have raised the trailer 5 -6" which doesn't look too good in my opinion - especially with 14" tires.

I will soon be replacing this with a six bolt 5000lb straight axle with 15" wheels and tires, and I think this will solve my weight concerns without raising the trailer excessively and leaving too big of a gap around the tires. I also like the idea of the bigger 12" brakes on the larger axle. I was quoted $650 for a complete 5000lb axle including springs, so I will probably tackle this project in the fall.

In retrospect, I should have installed the 5000lb axle and 15" tires originally. However, at the time, the 14" rims and tires were all near new and I had not weighed the fully loaded trailer on a scale. I knew the dry weight and figured I had some headroom, unfortunately I discovered much later that I was loaded at the axle's maximum capacity.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I will soon be replacing this with a six bolt 5000lb straight axle with 15" wheels and tires, and I think this will solve my weight concerns without raising the trailer excessively and leaving too big of a gap around the tires. I also like the idea of the bigger 12" brakes on the larger axle. I was quoted $650 for a complete 5000lb axle including springs, so I will probably tackle this project in the fall.

In retrospect, I should have installed the 5000lb axle and 15" tires originally. However, at the time, the 14" rims and tires were all near new and I had not weighed the fully loaded trailer on a scale. I knew the dry weight and figured I had some headroom, unfortunately I discovered much later that I was loaded at the axle's maximum capacity.

Steve.
Thanks for the info Steve.

Let me know when you're done, as i will need the parts# as well as the suppliers adress. Right now, I'm putting this mod on the agenda, for spring 2007.

Yves.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot
My 03 Bigfoot came with 15 inch tires.In the begining I was worried about the clearance, but after 3yrs of towing I have not sraped a skirt.
DAVID K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, weighing, weight