Bigfoot 17CB Amps? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Bigfoot
Hi, I am putting power on a lot we bought and plan to take our Bigfoot to vacation there, anyone know how many amps? 30 amps or 50? Can we put in 50?
thanks, Francine
Francine P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hi, I am putting power on a lot we bought and plan to take our Bigfoot to vacation there, anyone know how many amps?
Link to Bigfoot website "Features" page
Scroll down to "Electrical":
"Electrical 120-VAC/[b]30-Amp Service"

They do make adapters so you can plug a 30-Amp trailer into a 50-Amp power pole.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
The adapter Frederick suggested can be used but SHOULD only be used to power down to 30 amp. Not to power up to 50 amps.

Please, Please do not use the adapter to make your rig a 50 amp! The wiring in your Bigfoot is 30 amp wiring. Meant to have only 30 amps of power running thru it. Now does his suggestion work, yes it does. But I have seen what can happen when someone thinks that just because they can plug into 50 amp means they can use up 50 amp........

I swear I wish I had a picture of the trailer cord, as well as the adapter Fried. Thank God the one persons converter stopped it at that point. It burned everything from the converter out................................ Another one I saw the end results actually fried some of the trailer wiring.

Again, it can be used. I carry one. For the main reason of pulling into a Rv Park and the only site they had left was a 50amp. But I understand amperage so I know not to get everything going at once, just cause nothings tripped.

If you read the manufacture recommendation on the package it recommends it be used with a 50amp rig to power down to a 30 amp pedestal.

As for your "lot" you can have a pedestal put in that has both 50 and 30 amp at it. Just like many campgrounds/rvparks. The 50 amp is there for future use if you were ever to decide to put a 50 amp rig in place as well as a great selling feature should you decide to sell your "lot"
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Francine P,

You can put in 50. This would allow you to bring in a larger rig, if you ever wanted to. Connecting your trailer to a 50 A outlet requires a "dog bone" adapter which only taps one hot wire out of 2 in the 50 A outlet. You could also put in both 30 A and 50 A outlets as stated above.

Bob
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot