Bigfoot 17CB batteries moved.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #29
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
sheeesh after all that work that must have been tough.....Are you "between trailers" now or did you pick up something else and bigger????
Francois, yeah, sold it earlier this year. Post is here:

Sold my beloved Bigfoot

I'm traveling south from Alaska right now, trailerless and hotelling it. I pass by all my old camping spots with envy. I love camping in the fall. But yeah, I plan to get a Bigfoot 25-footer in the future. For now I'm just enjoying the excellent gas mileage. I did Whitehorse to Fort Nelson on one tank a couple days ago, and Fort Nelson to PG on one tank yesterday. Crossing into Washington tonight. Can't wait to be a Bigfoot owners again soon. Cheers!

trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #30
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mbbear View Post
I'd like to join Ellpea's question - what is the advantage of two 6v as oppos two 12v? I know I want two batteries because I will be doing a lot of boondocking, but I don't ha e a clue which system is better. I will also have at least 100 watts of solar for charging. Thanks
Six volt batteries weigh more than 12 volt batteries because there is more lead in them. They are designed and constructed to provide more power over more hours and years. So if you take care of your batteries (don't drain them below 50%, keep charged all year, add water as needed, use a charge wizard if you use your converter for charging) they will last years longer. If you don't take care of your batteries buy cheaper 12 volt batteries and replace them every year or two. Many folks with well cared for 6 volt batteries report 10 years or more dependability. Most cared for 12 volt batteries give up around year six.

Any lead-acid battery will provide more energy in warm temperatures. (The rate of chemical reactions in batteries decreases in cooler temperatures, meaning less power available) If you do much cool weather camping placing the batteries in a heated space will result in more available energy. That's one reason cars have a harder time starting in cold weather. Cold viscous lubricant is another.

That said, my factory 12 volt deep cycle provides plenty of energy coupled with a 100 watt solar panel. I can go for 3-7 days with no sun depending on how much the furnace runs. With 4 hours of daily sun stays can be weeks long. In a few years when my battery dies I might go with 6 volt Trojans, or maybe Lithium Ion if prices come down. Right now I don't see a good reason to upgrade. The extra weight of two batteries figures into the equation too. Li-ion is much lighter in weight and can be safely drained far lower than lead acid.

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #31
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Several good points/thoughts there John. Thanks.

WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #32
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
John, thanks for explaining in more detail.
Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #33
Trailer: Boler
How do you guys and gals figure AGM into the picture. I understand that they are maintenance free and provide long life if they are charged correctly. I'm looking at the group 31 northstar AGM for reference. Expensive yes, but hoping it's worth it. For reference, we have a Bigfoot 17 and a Honda eu2000 generator but no solar.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote