Bigfoot 25RQ black tank draining - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Bigfoot 25RQ black tank draining

I find when I drain my black tank the process is incomplete and there are a few holdovers (sorry). There is plenty of fluid in the tank and the tank drains fast until the end when it starts to trickle. I drain while the trailer is level.

Are there any tricks of the trade out there? I would like to know where the outlet of the tank is but the bottom is sealed on my trailer. Should I ramp up one side of the trailer or raise or lower my tongue while draining? Are my expectations too high?

Thanks for any help.
BurbDurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Drain the trailer unlevel and tilted towards the discharge point. Works every time.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since I always carry an empty 1 gallon milk jug, after I've drained the blackwater tank, I close the valve and pour freshwater in the toilet... maybe a couple of gallons, then drain again. That's not only rinses the tank, but the hose as well. Having a few cups of clean water behind the valve is not problematic, except during a freeze.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot 25.5 RQ
British Columbia
How do you know there are "holdovers"?...I have a "clear" fitting for my dump hose so I can see when flushed liquid is getting cleaner....I use my black tank flush whenever possible and open/close/open dump valve about 3 times after main flush is gone, with black flush turned on allowing tank to fill a bit between valve openings, until "holdovers" are gone.....if I cannot use black tank flush, then I dump at least 3 full buckets of water down toilet while dump valve is still open, then 3 buckets water into tank after valve is closed and I am finished dumping so that there is liquid in tank for new load of "holdovers".....
Bill on VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Thanks for the help. I also have a clear fitting which alerted me to my problem. I don't have a black tank rinse, wish I did. I've been dragging a hose through the window but maybe will invest in a good bucket.

I'm taking it out in a few weeks and should have some downtime to play with the black tank. I'll try lowering and raising the nose and see if I can find the tank outlet (front or rear) for more thorough draining.
BurbDurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I put a couple of my leveling boards made from 2 x 8s under the right hand trailer wheels to tip the trailer toward the drain opening. I also carry a plastic five gallon bucket with a snap on lid (multiple uses). I put about four gallons of water in it and carry it inside and give the toilet a couple of good flushes before I close the drain. That gets most of it. I only use the rinse system for final clean out after the trip is over.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot