Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi everyone I just sold my precious Boler and have bought a 1987 Bigfoot, but when I go on fiberglass.com /forums but I don't seem to see too many topics on Bigfoot so if there is anybody out there that can give me something to look out for or just to give new ideas would be much appreciated .
Rick...
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Actually, the real things, once the trailer is built, are the appliances and those are usually off-the-shelf items common to all the brands, so you just want to be reading this, and other forums, on everything in general, except maybe threads regarding the rebuilding of specific brand trailers.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Hi, Rick, can we see some photos of your bigfoot?
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Hi Rick We have had our 1989 19' Bigfoot for two years now. We are very pleased with the way it was built. We had a leak where the awning was fitted and had to re bed it. Last year I replaced the Dometic fridge (with a new Dometic fridge). Bigfoot was not very helpful in answering specific questions but the axle manufacturer Standens replied to emails and were very helpful. I updated the converter/charger with a WFCO 45 Amp model. This works very well especially when charging the battery with the generator. Tony
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #5

Well I dont have any pics yet because THE BC BIGFOOT is not here yet but when I get her home this Sat. she will be all spiffed up and I will put some pics on the site and I have lots of great ideas for her as I did for The BC BOLER anyway stay in touch as I am in a new world with having a Bigfoot and yes I do miss having a BOLER.. Rick.......
Old 05-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Rick, just a reminder....you owe us pics!
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #7

Well the pics are coming ,she is just perfect has everything I want I have a spot for the flat screen and the stereo but other than that except for buffung up the outside there is not much to do ,I did lower axle so it will fit my Van and when I hooked her up it was great did not have to change hitch or anything ,I am getting ready to go to fibreglass meet in Fort Langley on the 9th to the 11th of May I hope I will be ready as there is only one other Bigfoot there ,anyway I will try and get pics out after the weekend.. Rick and THE BC BIGFOOT....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Hi everyone I just sold my precious Boler and have bought a 1987 Bigfoot, but when I go on fiberglass.com /forums but I don't seem to see too many topics on Bigfoot so if there is anybody out there that can give me something to look out for or just to give new ideas would be much appreciated .
Rick...
Hi Rick
Like you, I'm a recent convert to a Bigfoot. Sold our 73 Trillium recently, having acquired an 89 17 ft deluxe back in the winter.
I'm just starting to look after some issues it came with:bought 3 new DURO ST tires to replace what looked like orig. rubber, badly cracked.Will be getting bearings done when tires installed.
Right now, I am having some grief with the electric tongue jack...frozen in the UP position.Makes noise when the rocker switch pressed for UP, but is silent when DOWN is selected.Have just got a new switch, will install later today; have this nagging feeling it is not the rocker sw. at all...maybe a limiting switch in the motor housing, perhaps ??

Anyone out there have electric tongue jack probs ?

Oh, and then there is the inoperative fridge, and the awning...
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1992 17 ft Bigfoot
We have recently bought a 17ft 92 Bigfoot and are having fridge issues as well. It works on gas but is dead on electric. Any ideas?
Marianne B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
We have recently bought a 17ft 92 Bigfoot and are having fridge issues as well. It works on gas but is dead on electric. Any ideas?
Hi Marianne, when you say electric.....if you mean AC and not DC, then access the exterior fridge panel (street side of the rig) and ensure that the fridge's AC plug is plugged into the the AC receptacle.

I hope that makes sense...

Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1992 17 ft Bigfoot
Quote:
Hi Marianne, when you say electric.....if you mean AC and not DC, then access the exterior fridge panel (street side of the rig) and ensure that the fridge's AC plug is plugged into the the AC receptacle.

I hope that makes sense...

Mike

Yes, we tried that to no avail. Our next course of action is to clean all the power connections and try it again. If that doesn't work, we've read on several dometic forums that if you remove the fridge and "roll it around" that could dislodge rust flakes in the fridge's internal plumbing.

We're hoping this works as it appears only the freezer section is cooling on gas now. Does anyone know how long (on a hot day - 30 celsius) it should take a dometic rm2310 to cool?

Thx for your help!
Marianne B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Yes, we tried that to no avail. Our next course of action is to clean all the power connections and try it again. If that doesn't work, we've read on several dometic forums that if you remove the fridge and "roll it around" that could dislodge rust flakes in the fridge's internal plumbing.

We're hoping this works as it appears only the freezer section is cooling on gas now. Does anyone know how long (on a hot day - 30 celsius) it should take a dometic rm2310 to cool?

Thx for your help!
Hi Marianne,
If the fridge works on propane the plumbing is OK. The propane burner sends heat into the tube above it which causes gas to start circulating thru the fridge. Above and beside this tube there is an electrical element which when working properly also heats the air and makes the fridge work. You may have a blown fuse or damaged element. The element can possibly be disconnected at the back of the fridge without removing the fridge. If you expose the two wires you can then use a multimeter to check for continuity thru the element. If there is no continuity then the element will have to be replaced and you would almost certainly have to remove the fridge to do that. There are two tests you can do to check the fridge. I find that it takes 2 to 3 hrs. to make ice cubes at 25c and you can place a small thermometer in the fridge section that would likely show 4 to 5c in the same time. Make sure the freezer door closes fully and that the main door seal is clean and making contact all around to get the best result.
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #13

Good points Bill,

Marianne have you checked your breaker panel too?

I should ask if you have the Dometic Americana do you see any activity lights on the panel above the freezer door and or does the interior light come on when you're connected to AC? Just trying to establish power to the unit as a first step.

It took our BF 1500 CB17' Dometic Americana quite a few hours to get to "cool". Generally we'd plug it in the day before leaving for a trip to cool it down then we'd run with just frozen food to keep the chill while traveling.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Here's an idea -- just use it on propane. They all work better on propane than electric anyway. I wouldn't even consider that an issue.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #15

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Quote:
Rick, just a reminder....you owe us pics!

x2
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #16

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Rick just a reminder, you owe pix.

oh and as you already know, I have a 85 Bigfoot double axle.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #17

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
fridge problems....

I had 'em in a 97 BF....big, two door, 3-way Dometic....it was "confused"....would shut down going from one heat source to another...just to make it more frustrating the problem was intermittent (hard to diagnose for sure)

then I heard of a local RV tech who works from his own backyard shop and does house calls !!!! he came over did a few tests and determined that the circuit board that controls the fridge functions was "bad"...probably a failed diode or something....

whenever these guys part out a trailer they always save these circuit boards as failures are common in them.....after looking he found he had a 2-way Dometic board, complete with the insert that fit the front of my fridge as well...2-way is all I really needed so problem solved...still cost me 150 bucks but that's known as "cheap" when it comes to RV fridge problems/repairs...good luck (pic is of my fridge with the "new" 2-way front plate installed)
Attached Thumbnails
topfridge2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot