bigfoot 5th wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Kev & Melis, maybe you shouldn't give up on this quite yet if it's just the weight issue. Paul's logic seems sound to me: the tandem 5er may not be much more than 2900 lb loaded, and my Boler 17' is around 3000 lb loaded, so maybe there isn't much to be saved with a Boler 1700 or Trillium 5500. Have you actually seen the Bigfoot paperwork, to understand which weight is being quoted? "Bigfeet" only seem to get bigger with each generation, and even the heavier variation of the current 21' trailer (a 25B21FB, no 5th wheel model in production) is 3815 lb empty in the Bigfoot specs; at the same time, even their lightest unit (17.5 ft) has a 4300 lb gross vehicle weight rating.

If you scan and post the paperwork from Bigfoot, I can point out what I mean or concede that my guess is wrong - either is fine with me!

And now the obvious question: Herschel! What does your trailer weigh?

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I saw this old thread and it is helpful, but I'm hoping that Paul (or any other Bigfoot 5th wheel experts out there) can clarify something for us. We are in the market for a new tow vehicle and are thinking about a Toyota Tacoma or maybe a Nissan Frontier. We have enjoyed our 17' Bigfoot but would like to be able to upgrade to a 5th wheel at some point.

So Paul, is your Tacoma a long-bed pickup? It seems to be working out great for your fifth wheel. Would it be best to rule out a short-bed? Keep in mind that I doubt very much that my hubby would want to pay $3000 or more for a Superglide type of hitch. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #17
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Good news

I pull my 87 bigfoot 5th whl with my F-250 4x4 crew cab shortbed.

I do have a slider hitch that i bought new for under $700

The only time i have to use the slide is for jack knife turns which i try to keep to a minimum.

I dont think that you would have any trouble using your f150

Harv in Colo
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
Name: Chris & Maureen
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Thank you, Harvey! Actually we don't have a pickup yet. I just tacked on to the original posting of someone who did, but we are currently in the market for a pickup. So it appears that a 5 1/2 foot bed short bed will probably work. That is good news. It's also good to hear that the slider hitch wasn't too expensive.

If anybody else out there is pulling a Bigfoot 5th wheel with a Toyota Tacoma or a Nissan Frontier, we welcome any advice you have. We've been truck shopping and the long bed 4X4s with the options we want are hard to find (or really expensive). It might be a good idea to get the short bed anyway, if we can manage it. Thanks again.

Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5

Sorry I did not reply sooner.

As it turns out, I sold my 85 5er which weighed 2900#s and purchased Herchell's 94 5er which weighs in at 4800#s...That tandem axel must be really heavy.

We still pull the new 1994 Bigfoot 5th wheel with our Toyota Tacoma short bed (6') pickup. It is a 6 cln. engine....If I had it to do over I would buy the Tundra.

We bought Herchell's slider hitch also, it's a $500.00 value at Camping World. I use it when backing up as it is simple to set up.

jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote