Bigfoot age vs. condition - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #15

Name: Ritchie
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoots aging gracefully

My general impression is that Bigfoots (Bigfeet?!) age gracefully. We have a relatively new model - a 2008 25B175G - that seems quite like new despite being high mileage. We bought it used last July and the PO had driven across Canada at least a couple of times if not more. Passers by mistake the unit for new.

The upgraded insulation, thermal windows and so on in the "new design" Bigfoot trailers is great, both in hot and cold weather. And the fit and quality of materials is way above average - although the appliances and plumbing use standard products found in pretty much any RV. Whiich is a bonus if you need parts or service for the water pump or the fridge in Boondocksville.

Be aware that the "new design" trailers are over 3000 lbs dry weight with a tonque weight of over 300 lbs and a full 8 feet wide. They need a half ton or a real SUV (as opposed to a mall SUV) as a tow vehicle. The "older design" is considerably lighter.

As for an older design model, they are certainly more affordable and there are a lot of them about here in BC. I'd suggest you contact the Bigfoot factory in Armstrong, BC as they are responsive to emails and will likely tell you the key design differences between the two generations of trailers. Gilmay RV in Vernon, BC specialize in restoring Bigfoots and may well share a couple of key things to look for in an older unit if you call them.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I think the 5th wheel Bigfoot trailers have a "full size" bathroom. Separate shower area, aka "dry bath".

Old 08-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: Airstream
New Mexico
Thanks Zach,
That makes better sense. I always have thought the unitized wet baths were similar to each other in size, although I suspect that has to do with the nanuf. and the trailer they are going in. ie. Casita vs Bigfoot...the ergonomics of each trailer is different so the "feel" of each wet bath may be somewhat different.

Just my uneducated take on it.

Greg
Old 08-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #18

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Ritchie, have you weighed your Bigfoot?
Old 08-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #19

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apltrez View Post
Bobby,
Thanks for the comments. I was really interested in your comments about the shower. After having had self contained shower bathrooms in Scamp, Casita and most recently Rpod, I have always though they were sized for mere mortals. Airstreams were much better.
But you feel yours is larger than a Scamp?

How so?

Greg
Hello Greg.
The shower is separated from the toilet only by a curtain but that means the TP and towels do not get wet and there is an elevation to the rest of the bathroom so the water does not get the entire bathroom wet as well. I am not sure about scamp but I can tell you it is way better than Casita! You cannot swing a cat in there but at least you can bend over to pick up the soap!!
Too bad Bigfoot lost the molds for this 5th wheel trailer because there are so many great ideas!
Bobby
1987 Boler Voyageur
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #20

Name: Ritchie
British Columbia
Bigfoot trailer questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Ritchie, have you weighed your Bigfoot?
Dry weight is 3040 lbs for a 2008 25B175G. That includes two empty 30lb propane tanks and the spare tire but no battery. And no A/C.

Most trips we figure the trailer is around 3600 lbs if we travel with 1/3 to 1/2 a tank of fresh water and empty waste tanks, which is our usual configuration. GVW for the trailer is 4300 lbs. We have a group 27 battery on the tongue, which adds at least 50 lbs in itself.

And to answer another point the 17.5 trailers (model number includes 175) and the smaller Bigfoot truck campers all have wet baths. Design of the wet bath has not changed for years and years as far as I am aware. 21 and 24 foot trailers and the larger truck campers have dry baths. I'm 6ft 1 inch and find the trailer fine for headroom and the wet bath OK. A fantastic fan in the bathroom is a good upgrade. Our trailer had a dinky little & totally useless fan in the bathroom skylight so we simply used that power wiring to run the fantastic fan.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:56 PM   #21

Montana
Registry
I would assume that because Bigfoot trailers don't taper into the egg shape of the other fiberglass trailers, the bathroom has more room. But I haven't done more than really quickly peek into one Scamp trailer bathroom, so I can't say for sure.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: Airstream
New Mexico
Thanks zacho

I wanted to thank all and particularly zach who showed me his trailer and shared time and info when I was recently through Dillon MT.

One final question for those who might know. What changes were made to the 17G between 1990 and 2004?
Also when did they change to the whiter color from tan/off white in the gel coat?

Thanks to all again
Apltrez
Old 09-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #23

Montana
Registry
It was great to meet you guys, Greg. And thanks again for the chilies!

As best I can tell, around 97 or 98 they got the whiter, to me nicer-looking color and finish. Hopefully someone else knows more. Otherwise it was just the introduction of the 2500 series. More insulation and weight. This seems to be around 95
Old 09-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #24

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry

my 97 is white....there a lot of BFs 17s in the town where I live....certainly before 88ish models were a tan color....I'm not sure if I ever saw a 90s (around when the 1500 badge appeared...when the rockguard got more "substantial" with supports/schocks INSIDE the guard) that was not white....

2500 series started in 2005 or so (different molds, insulation, windows, heated tanks....and yes heavier)
Attached Thumbnails
17d.jpg   17517.jpg  

2weird4.jpg  
Attached Images

Tags
bigfoot