Bigfoot B19 Dinette Bed Modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
We have decided that we cannot part with our beloved 1988 Bigfoot B19 Deluxe, so we are continuing to renovate it.

I just changed out the lavatory faucet and was about to change out the kitchen faucet when I realized that it would make sense to widen the dinette bed at the same time so that we can really have enough sleeping space to be comfortable -- it's a bit too narrow at the moment. To do this, we are going to go from a double sink to a single sink to expand the width and while we are at it, we are going to replace the countertop. Has anyone else done this kind of modification?

I have already seen the modifications of the sofa/gaucho bed (but it can't be made wide enough for our preference) and the website of one Bigfoot owner who raised the dinette bed to the level of the surrounding ledge/trim (which puts one sleeper right next to the window), but nothing similar to what we are going to do. I will document the process to share on the forum, but would love to hear from any Bigfoot owners who may have already done something similar.

Some initial questions (I am sure more will come to mind as we move forward):

1) When we remove the countertop, I am wondering what is holding the stove in place -- will it slide out easily or are there hidden screws somewhere? What is the best way to remove the countertop to avoid damaging the walls and cabinetry?

2) Where to find lightweight countertops -- the ones at Home Depot & Lowe's are all heavy. I was thinking of using plywood and putting a heavy-duty laminate over it, but is there some other source of lightweight countertops for travel trailers?

3) has anyone removed the dinette ledge closest to the big bay window -- and if so, how did you do it so as to not damage the paneling?

4) Has anyone replaced their 5 gallon water heater with an on-demand water heater? Are there any on-demand that can work with propane?

5) Has anyone removed and "rebuilt" their furnace? Ours works great, but is starting to make a loud screeching noise, so I thought it might need a good cleaning... will be removing it and cleaning it and wondered if I should do anything else while I have it out?

Thanks for any and all input!

Val & Kayla
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I checked online and can't find any fresh water supply lines so am going to call our local hardware stores to see if they carry any, as well as what appear to be the compression connectors -- anyone know what tools are used to clamp those on? Will see what the hardware supply folks have to say...
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot