Bigfoot battery needed for boondocking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
one source...

and there's several....(Each Buyer, DX...just google)....been happy with both...not 100% glitch free but the prices are so CHEAP they more than make up for it...bought quite a few items from these companies...customer service/replacement was great one time I needed them...shipping is about ten days and it's free....

smalls were 2 bucks...large were 3 bucks....
Attached Thumbnails
leds1.jpg   leds2.jpg  

leds3.jpg  

Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The front cowling on my Bigfoot has room for two form 24 batteries in front of the propane tanks. After considering all the recommended choices I've chosen to go with the inexpensive Walmart 12v deep cycles. My reasoning? Simple, 12v instead of 6v so that if I'm off boondocking and one dies, I've still got power. And while these are not the most reliable, again if/when one dies, I've got power till I have time to stop in at a Walmart, Advance Auto, etc. and pick up another inexpensive replacement. After all most of our eggs have only one battery and get along just fine. Having two 12vs gives me tremendous versatility.

Walt

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #17

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I'll see how my new deep cycle flooded acid battery does. It's what I've always used before, and with my typically low power draw, it's been fine. I only boon dock; have yet to plug in. I'll probably change to a different battery type eventually, but for now, my $100 group 27 deep cycle flooded lead acid will definitely do.

I learned in solar power design and installation classes that there is not a "best" battery. They all have their uses, their good points and bad points. What there is, is a "best battery for a particular application".

Even for a solar set up in a house, which battery is best depends on a lot of different factors. From the info I learned, each type of battery, including the old fashioned flooded lead acid batteries, have their place. And cost is typically not the #1 consideration, though it factors in.

Like Carol, I think learning how to correctly use your battery is the most important, and for people just getting started, it's cheaper to learn on a cheap battery. Spend all the money you want, if you over-discharge and under-charge your battery, you're going to kill it.

So the information here is very valuable, hard-learned info we can all use. The only argument is coming from a point of view that "there is no one-size-fits-all" "best" battery. There are simply "best batteries for certain applications". And different trailers have different applications depending on how they're used.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Here is a little known fact I discovered the hard way....some LED bulbs interfere with your television reception off you RV roof antenna!!! I discovered this by trial and error and later confirmed what I had suspected. My solution was simple turn off lights when watching TV in the trailer. The LEDs did not disrupt television when connected to cable.

Any chance its a polarity issue with some of the LED's. i know other folks here have had issues with that.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
There is a ton of great info in is thread ...thanks folks , all of you. Thanks for passing along the savings $$ ideas and sage advice.

In my local supplier check today I came across this battery:

MotoMaster Nautilus Ultra Group 27 AGM Deep Cycle Battery | Canadian Tire

I hope that link works. Uplander, how do you think this measures up with respect to your first post and description of true deep cycle batts? note it is actually rated at 92 amp hrs, not 175 (that is reserve capacity). There is a smaller group 24 listed for a lot less $...

I yearn for Amazon.com vs Amazon .CA and the deals / delivery to be had on Amazon.com, but it just does not happen here in the fibreglass rv wasteland of northern BC, or Canada for that matter.

I will check out Costcos offerings next week when I go to the big city ..lol. There are definitely no group 27 flooded acid plate batteries in the 100$ range either in these parts, just check the rest of the selection on the link posted here:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automo...marine-rv.html
Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
Franswa, thanks for posting up that great led information! As Zack mentions, I too find the LEDs sort of harsh , but at those prices I cannot complain much!!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #21

Montana
Registry
You've probably found this already, but if you want good light you've got to go with "warm white". The warmest LEDs will be the closest to incandescent light. I've found that I don't even notice the difference.

I got my LEDs from this site (not of those looking to go cheap!), and it has good photos/descriptions of the different temps of LED. I went with all warm except in the bathroom and just one of the two bulbs in kitchen, since those are places I want brighter, rather than more comfortable light. In those I just went with "natural". "Cool" white is too harsh for my eyes.

I have no doubt these lights are made at the same factory in China as some others you could order for much cheaper, but...you know.

Expensive, but as you know, short of actually changing your habits and energy use, this is probably the single biggest way to drastically reduce energy use in a camper.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #22

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Tyhee, One fact is evident batteries do cost more up north where you live. Too bad Amazon.com does not deliver to the North country.
The battery you linked to had some terminology in the discription that differed from what I am used to reading...all my deep cycle AGM batteries are rated in
Amp hours (AH).... While yours used "minutes of reserve capacity" and not Amp hours...confusing.
Read "the 12 volt side of life" from the Internet....a two page summary of everything you need to know about 12 volt storage batteries...it should clear up the AH vs. minutes of reserve capacity. My big question is "what AMP load is used in the minute calculation?"
The battery you focused on also listed CCA (engine starting power) only listed in dual purpose Marine batteries that have thinner plates than pure deep cycle batteries (the web site for the 12 volt side of life explains the difference better than I can).
Also on that Canadian website there was another group 27 size deep cycle that sounded like a real deep cycle battery but it had a higher retail price (over $400). Prices like that drove me to Amazon.com in the early stages of my battery research. I had no idea Amazon did not ship into your neck of the woods.

On another matter (LED bulbs) the question of polarity came up regarding off air antenna television reception ....as I understand it the reception problem came from "RF" interference from some LED bulbs...the whole subject is all smoke and mirrors for my tiny brain...in my trailer...LED lights on = bad TV reception....
LED lights off = O.K. TV reception.

New technology = Confusion

Happy Camping.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #23

Montana
Registry
Luckily with my LEDs it doesn't matter.

My trailer = no TV
Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Luckily with my LEDs it doesn't matter.

My trailer = no TV
I don't have TV service even at my home
Old 03-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #25

New York
Now to add to the information overload...I just read all about solar charging and even more about batteries via the latest post on solar panels etc. on this board.
There is a recommended website (amsolar.com)...if you read it all your education might be complete. Nothing about LEDs and television...just electricity/solar panels/batteries...a wealth of information all concerning RV travel trailers etc....well worth reading...then impress your friends with all you know!!!

This site confirmed that AGM batteries are the way to go!

Happy Camping!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Now to add to the information overload...I just read all about solar charging and even more about batteries via the latest post on solar panels etc. on this board.
There is a recommended website (amsolar.com)...if you read it all your education might be complete. Nothing about LEDs and television...just electricity/solar panels/batteries...a wealth of information all concerning RV travel trailers etc....well worth reading...then impress your friends with all you know!!!

Happy Camping!
I have LED's in my Scamp as well as my new trailer and both have TV's and no interference from the LED's with the TV.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #27

New York
Carol H, From what I was able to learn from another website (irv2.com) the LED/television reception seems to be hit and miss and quite often it is related to only some brands of LED bulbs. You got lucky...I did not...but I did save my old incandescent bulbs and use them in a few light fixtures when the TV is on using the off air antenna.

Technology has its mysteries!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhee View Post
There is a ton of great info in is thread ...thanks folks , all of you. Thanks for passing along the savings $$ ideas and sage advice.

I will check out Costcos offerings next week when I go to the big city ..lol. There are definitely no group 27 flooded acid plate batteries in the 100$ range either in these parts, just check the rest of the selection on the link posted here:

Marine & RV | Canadian Tire
Wow... I know that the $CAD is weak against the USD, but those prices are outrageous! Sticker shock here... Wow. I almost don't know what to say.

Here's the battery I was mentioning as the least expensive...

EverStart Marine Battery, Group Size 27DC - Walmart.com

And they may be no great shakes, but for $81.67 US, they're a good buy. And as I said, I usually see three to four years' use out of them, if you keep them filled and charged.

Tags
battery, bigfoot, boondocking