Bigfoot Converter adjustment? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1985 17ft Bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoot Converter adjustment?

I am a new owner of an old 1985 17ft Bigfoot. The previous owner, just before we purchased it had an AC unit removed and a Maxxfan installed. The fan runs fine on the 12v battery, however when connected to shore power it spins a few times and cuts out. I have spent a lot of time changing the ground and new power source. It still has the same issue. With a voltmeter when on 12v battery the fan is getting 13.6v. When on shore power the converter is putting out 14.09v.
I am thinking that the fan is cutting out because the voltage going into the circuit is too high, a safety feature? I read somewhere on the internet that a service tech from Maxxfan said the max voltage the fan will take is 13.8v. Seems low to me but I'm no expert.

The converter is an Allanson D20-BRA-A. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the output voltage can be set lower?

Thanks for any responses!
Mike
Mike RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
do you have a battery in the trailer?
without turning the fan on, check the voltage at the battery when on 12v and then when on shore power, there should be a slight increase on shore power.
Then perform the same test with some load applied(lights etc).
if you see the same increase, then your converter is working, just a little high.
typically there is no adjustment on the converters, and if it is original, the charge circuit is probably not well regulated, might be time for a new converter. I have never seen a fan with high voltage cutout, but that doesn't mean they don't make them

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #3

British Columbia
Hi Joe, yes the there is a battery on the trailer. That is the only way the fan will run. If the converter is active, meaning plugged in to shore power and breaker on, fan cuts out. I did check the battery as you suggest and the converter is working properly with the battery, the voltage does go up when its on.
I wondered if there was something I could wire into the system that would reduce the voltage going to the fan?
Mike
Old 04-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike RC View Post
I am a new owner of an old 1985 17ft Bigfoot. The previous owner, just before we purchased it had an AC unit removed and a Maxxfan installed. The fan runs fine on the 12v battery, however when connected to shore power it spins a few times and cuts out. I have spent a lot of time changing the ground and new power source. It still has the same issue. With a voltmeter when on 12v battery the fan is getting 13.6v. When on shore power the converter is putting out 14.09v.
I am thinking that the fan is cutting out because the voltage going into the circuit is too high, a safety feature? I read somewhere on the internet that a service tech from Maxxfan said the max voltage the fan will take is 13.8v. Seems low to me but I'm no expert.

The converter is an Allanson D20-BRA-A. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the output voltage can be set lower?

Thanks for any responses!
Mike
Mike,
I charger needs to output more then the 12v in order to charge the battery so the jump up shouldn't be a problem. I can't imagine the fan having a problem with 14.5 volts. Sorry other then that I can't imagine why this would be happening.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go here for Maxxfan discussion on Escape Forum:
Maxxfan Problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I may be wrong but I think the Maxxfan is running off the 12V system IE the Battery even when your plugged into shore power.
The converter needs the Battery to run all the 12 volt appliances in my 2 campers because it picks up the ground.
My converter and solar controller will put 13.8 volts to the appliances plus give enough umph to charge the battery if it is low.
I did install a new Maxxfan last fall and it came from factory with faulty switch. I called company and they sent one out no questions asked.
Maybe a common problem.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Those fans do have a problem with 14.5V.
Casita folks have noticed a problem when running with solar controllers that occasionally pump out 14.5 volts
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...comment=245627
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:18 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Those fans do have a problem with 14.5V.
Casita folks have noticed a problem when running with solar controllers that occasionally pump out 14.5 volts
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...comment=245627
Well you learn something new everyday. 14.5 doesn't seem to be all the unusual for a charger so that is pretty short sighted on the part of Maxxfan. I will be sure to avoid them when replacing vent fans.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
when I changed out my 1981 era converter, I upgraded to a PD9245, but kept the original power center. It took a bit of finessing, but in the end I think it was a better choice for me, as I wanted the original look of the power centre. I had it done within a day, and was back to running everything on battery or shore power.
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #10

British Columbia
Update

After much trouble shooting I was convinced the issue was the maxxfan. I tested a battery charger on the trailer battery and with the charger going tested the fan. The fan had the same issue, cut out after a few seconds, thus I eliminated the issue as the converter. I contacted Maxxfan explained the issue and they felt it was a faulty PC board and would send me a new one. I replace the PC board when it arrived and guess what, still the same issue.
We have a 2nd RV that has a Fantastic Fan that has more option. We decided we would prefer the Fantastic Fan in the Bigfoot so I decided to swap them. The Fantastic Fan works perfect installed in the Bigfoot, both on battery and when the converter is plugged. Also the Maxxfan works perfect in the 2002 Trillium! So in the end it appears the Maxxfan is overly sensitive to the amperage or voltage output of the Bigfoot converter. I can't really explain it but happy I have them both working properly and hopefully this thread helps the next person dealing with a Maxxfan not working!
Cheers and thank for all the responded.

Tags
bigfoot