BIGFOOT CURTAINS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
BIGFOOT CURTAINS

Like many other questions the answer to this is probably embedded deep in the bowels of an old thread but I will short cut the process by asking....
My new [to me] Bigfoot B17 is in storage near London, ON and I will rig it out in November before heading south.
The white pleated curtains will need to be cleaned. I imagine that dry cleaning is the best and safest process but there is nothing in the paperwork about it. I do not want to lose the pleats or spend time ironing them back in. The new curtains in my old Trillium 4500 have weird faces in them and the pleats will keep these spirits away from the B17, I hope.
QUESTION.... Dry clean or wash and iron by hand??????
Thanks in advance.... Scouter Dave
Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Most fabrics can be safely hand-washed even if they have a tag that says dry clean. I like to use a mild detergent called Biz for old fabrics. There is even a product with which you can dry-clean at home using your electric dryer. It is called Dryel.

Yes, pleats can be a bear! If the pleats are not permanently embedded or "knife-sewn" on the edges you will have to press them. If you don't want to do the pressing, hire your local dry-cleaners to do it. To "set" your pleated curtains hang them so the pleats are closed (and the window is showing). Tie the bottom semi-loosely with a strip of cloth. (a rubber band would be too tight) Let them hang for a few days to a week and then release the curtains by taking off the cloth. This is the way professionals hang pleated curtains. After you've taken the care to clean, press and properly hang your curtains they should serve you well and look attractive for years to come.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot