Bigfoot floor support question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
There is an area behind the axle where the floor feels a bit springier than the rest.

Looking underneath, everywhere the trailer meets the frame there are continuous shims of what appears to be some sort of fiberboard. Where the black water tank sits, there are no shims and the floor is about 3/4" away from the cross member at the front side of the tank. The tank is held by a cross member to the rear and sits against the floor, but the floor is only supported in this area by the tank. The frame cross member towards the front of the tank is not supporting the floor. This may be similar to what Scott experienced with his 5th?

Is this something I should worry about beefing up, or is it the normal assembly for this floor area? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame_and_tank.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	9241
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Lainey, this is exactly what I ran into with my 5th wheel. I assumed that the origional shims had compressed over the years and shaken out. I was unable to find any at RV shops but solved the problem by purchasing a thick rubber mat from Totem Supply that had bevelled edges. I simply cut the edge off one side and cut that strip into 4" lengths to use as shims.

I tapped them into place where needed with a mallet after coating them in clear silicone to help hold them in place. Worked like a charm, the floor is nice and solid now... no soft springy spots.

Hope that helps.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Thanks Scott

Pictures??
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Thanks Scott

Pictures??
Sorry Lainey, I went through my photos last night but I haven't kept any of that particular repair. My son has the truck and the rubber mat I used is in it so I couldn't take shots of it either.

The mat is heavy black rubber with a bevelled edge on all four sides. It measures about 3 ft by 2 ft and about 3/8" thick. I cut one of the long side bevels off to make the shims and kept the rest of the carpet to use outside the camper door, it helps keep the dirt from getting tracked in. Two problems solved with one purchase that way. However, you could use any thick heavy duty rubber to make the shims. A mudflap off a semi would work I'm sure, or anything like that.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot