Bigfoot Front Awning latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Bigfoot Front Awning latches

I'm hoping to source a fix for my front window fiberglass awning latch. One of the spring pin assemblies has broken & I'm hoping to find a fix. I've included a couple pics, but any Bigfoot owners out there will know what I'm talking about. I'm thinking surely by now somebody has run into this problem before. The latch pin assemblies are the same for my 1998 B17CB as they were for my previous 1987 Lil Bigfoot. Hoping to source a replacement, or the nessecary hog ring? to make what I've got to be repaired.Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5652.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	95139

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5653.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	95140
DwayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
mcmaster.com is where I had purchased a rock shield support arm that had that type of fastener, but I can not remember the name of that fastener. Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You are lucky, you still have the plunger and spring. I had to find new springs and they were a little heavier wire and longer. I had to cut them down. I also made new retaining rings by cutting one coil off one of the new springs and reducing the diameter of the single coil by squeezing the single coil with pliers. To accommodate the new retaining rings, I enlarged the size of the groove in the plunger by chucking the plunger into an electric drill and slowly turn the plunger and carefully putting a fine hacksaw blade into the groove. Wish I had a hobby lathe. Clean up the parts and grease everything, then reassemble. I did this 3 years ago and it's worked fine since. The first one took me well over an hour. The second one took about 10 minutes. If you loose the plunger, you have more problems A new plunger could be made but would be lots of additional work.

It's quite common to have this part fail and I know several people, including me have looked for some complete replacement but no one has anything that will work. Best of luck. If you need spring numbers, PM me. I've still got the package somewhere in the trailer
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have purchased an assortment of snap rings at Harbor Freight, perhaps that will be all you need for your repair.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It would be useful for the archives for future issues with this part if someone would take their calipers and get the measurements of diameter for the snap ring and also the other dimensions for length. If it would help the group I can turn measured drawings of parts like that into CAD part drawings including any measurements and also add replacement part numbers and even put sources for the part right on the drawing. Just be sure to take accurate measurements
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:49 AM   #6

Registry
I could kick myself because a few years ago I was told by guy at the now closed Langley RV Clinic another product that used this same type spring loaded pin fastener....it was part of a framework that was available and you would need to cut the frame off & that it was about $40 back then. I just cannot remember what the frame part was for, but some RV guy out there knows......
Old 05-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
McMaster does show a good selection of snap rings, or retaining rings. Would the one listed as "low clearance" work? With the dimensions of the pin known, someone with a metal lathe could easily make one. A good auto parts store may have a snap ring assortment you could look through, my local one does.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #8

New York
Vintage Trailer Supply sells the whole support arm with that type pin latch for $15
Old 05-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
There may be something in this thread that is of use...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...elp-68500.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Bigfoot Rock Guard Latch.

Many Machinists - Tool and Die makers would find this a simple job of a few minutes to repair. Luckily I had a local friend, but, before knowing this, I had drilled a small hole through the sleeve and pin to lock it in the up position and used a small cotter pin. I'd pull the cotter pin to open or close the latch and this worked for several years.
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
hi Dwayne...

mine came with the same problem.....PO had 1/4" (I think) bolts that he used to secure the guard since there are threads inside the original housing.....it worked but not as "slick" as spring loaded.....that project has not made it to the top of my "list"....so I'm still using the bolt option..; I only need/use one on drivers side.....

funny though that when I clicked on your registry I found my "double" !!! and not that far away to boot....mine's a CB as well...a 97....a PO removed the AC and replaced it it with a fantastic fan + max air cover....and another max air cover over the bathroom....

your lucky...your graphics look like they survived way better than mine.....mine are ok on the sides but both front and back graphics are very degraded by sun/weather.....
Attached Thumbnails
clone2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Franswa,
If you ever do make up some of these please let us know as I also need a couple. Mine are shown in trainjunkies link. The ones made up for me by an acquaintance also failed, so for now I'm using something like Mike suggested. Seems this piece just does not hold up well.
Thanks,Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
mine came with the same problem.....PO had 1/4" (I think) bolts that he used to secure the guard since there are threads inside the original housing.....it worked but not as "slick" as spring loaded.....that project has not made it to the top of my "list"....so I'm still using the bolt option..; I only need/use one on drivers side.....

funny though that when I clicked on your registry I found my "double" !!! and not that far away to boot....mine's a CB as well...a 97....a PO removed the AC and replaced it it with a fantastic fan + max air cover....and another max air cover over the bathroom....

your lucky...your graphics look like they survived way better than mine.....mine are ok on the sides but both front and back graphics are very degraded by sun/weather.....
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
For what it's worth, this is the clip on my 2008 Escape. But, manufacturer stopped making the rock guard. You could try to track it down through Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
Window clip.jpg  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #14

Registry
Thanks Glen👍
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #15

Oregon
OK, I have come up with the keywords for the part you need.
"hand retractable (spring) plunger"

I am pretty good at figuring out hardware and suppliers for items since it is part of my professional background in manufacturing.

The website below shows an example of the dimensions you are going to need to take from your existing parts to find a match for them. I have no idea if Bigfoot was using metric parts or standard inch measurements. If one of you is in the Seattle area we can meet up and I can take those measurements in person. That way we can get the measurements put into the archives and find a reliable source for a suitable replacement part.

Steel or Stainless Steel Pull Ring - Standard Length - Locking Plungers : Northwestern Tools :

In the diagram in the link above you will see mention of available with or without a locking element. The locking element is typically just a bit of nylon material in a hole that protrudes out into the thread area. This locking element would be good to have as it will help prevent the screw body from backing out of the hole and getting lost due to road vibration. But it would still allow you to remove and replace the part if needed at some future date.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler
I could use one new pin as well. The previous owner bent it trying to pry it. I also need to replace the wingnut tensioners. They are rusted and no longer work. Does anyone know how these work? There appears to be an aluminum ring in behind the wingnut that snugs up the tension. Mine doesn't release the tension. Sorry if I highjacked the original thread

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #17

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
I could use one new pin as well. The previous owner bent it trying to pry it. I also need to replace the wingnut tensioners. They are rusted and no longer work. Does anyone know how these work? There appears to be an aluminum ring in behind the wingnut that snugs up the tension. Mine doesn't release the tension. Sorry if I highjacked the original thread

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
you can find them in various places on the internet such as McMaster Carr.
keywords are "hand retractable (spring) plunger" You need to take measurements to match it up to the product specifics such as thread profile, length of body, length of tip, etc.
McMaster-Carr
Old 08-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Question

Hi - New Bigfoot owner here (2002 25B21R). One of my latches is gone and the other is missing the spring and clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply sells the whole support arm with that type pin latch for $15

I've searched on VTS and can't find this. Mind posting up a link? Thanks.

I'm thinking of installing rubber latches like this:

What do you think? I could shove it a little farther back if I cut the edge molding. Comments?

Here's a few pics of the "new" trailer:

South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Listed as "stone guard support arm" find it under "exterior" and then "window rock guard"
Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #20

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
OK, found it. Thanks.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bigfoot