Bigfoot gas fridge exhaust smell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Ontario
Bigfoot gas fridge exhaust smell?

Hi
I have a 1990 Bigfoot Trailer. The fridge wouldn’t light so I sprayed the Burner with air in can. I got what appears to be a nice blue flame (couldn’t see the top of the flame as it goes up too high.

The fridge works now but there is an exhaust smell coming into the trailer now.
I don’t know how this is possible. I don’t smell exhaust from my gas stove. Doesn’t make sense too me.

Anybody have a clue what the exhaust smell might be?

Thanks
Tom
hoppy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What's your history with the trailer? Did you just buy it? Had it for a while? Was the fridge working fine with no exhaust smell and it only started after cleaning the burner? Does your fridge vent out the roof or the side of the trailer?

The rear of the fridge should be more or less completely sealed off from the inside of the camper.

What does "exhaust" smell like, in this case? Propane should be pretty much odorless.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy1962 View Post
Hi
..I got what appears to be a nice blue flame (couldn’t see the top of the flame as it goes up too high....
What fridge is it?.. any pics of the flame?

Any propane (absorption) fridge that I have seen has a small flame.. only about 1/2 inch high at most. Perhaps someone cleaned the orifice improperly and you now have a way over-sized flame that is burning up the inside of the flue, or more.

At any rate, propane can go boom so I would take it to a certified repair person.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Montana
Good catch...
Old 06-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Good catch...
Perhaps.. just a theory at present but worthy of investigation.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Montana
Even if it's not the cause of the smell, if the flame is really that high, something isn't right.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Have you tested the stove top burner(s)? Do the front knobs regulate the flame normally? What if the gas pressure regulator at the tank is not regulating and the pressure is too high?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hi
I have a 1990 Bigfoot Trailer. The fridge wouldn’t light so I sprayed the Burner with air in can. I got what appears to be a nice blue flame (couldn’t see the top of the flame as it goes up too high.

The fridge works now but there is an exhaust smell coming into the trailer now.
I don’t know how this is possible. I don’t smell exhaust from my gas stove. Doesn’t make sense too me.

Anybody have a clue what the exhaust smell might be?

Thanks
Tom
Have it checked by a qualified person. It could be the fridge has gone bad and is leaking the ammonia gas out of the tubes in the back. That could kill you possibly. A few bucks is not worth dying or hurting yourself for. It could be a lot of things and others have spoken of those items.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
What's your history with the trailer? Did you just buy it? Had it for a while? Was the fridge working fine with no exhaust smell and it only started after cleaning the burner? Does your fridge vent out the roof or the side of the trailer?

The rear of the fridge should be more or less completely sealed off from the inside of the camper.

What does "exhaust" smell like, in this case? Propane should be pretty much odorless.
I had the Trailer for 5 years. No problems till now. Fridge works perfect on AC. It vents from the side. Smells kind on like a cars breaks over heating.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
What fridge is it?.. any pics of the flame?

Any propane (absorption) fridge that I have seen has a small flame.. only about 1/2 inch high at most. Perhaps someone cleaned the orifice improperly and you now have a way over-sized flame that is burning up the inside of the flue, or more.

At any rate, propane can go boom so I would take it to a certified repair person.
Flame is blue and about 3/4 inch too the tip. I got a dentists mirror and was able too look up the tube to see the rest of the flame. When looking up the tube I can see little red burning pieces of rust. Perhaps I smell rust burning and I just need to clean the flue.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Have you tested the stove top burner(s)? Do the front knobs regulate the flame normally? What if the gas pressure regulator at the tank is not regulating and the pressure is too high?
Stove top burner, furnace, and water heater all working perfectly
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #12

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Have it checked by a qualified person. It could be the fridge has gone bad and is leaking the ammonia gas out of the tubes in the back. That could kill you possibly. A few bucks is not worth dying or hurting yourself for. It could be a lot of things and others have spoken of those items.
Fridge works perfectly fine on AC. Thus no Ammonia leak
Old 06-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tom, just guessing here but as it works on AC and has worked for years on LP I think you need to do a good cleaning of the LP system behind the refer. A bit of dirt or spider webbing in the tip. Just blowing air may not be good enough to clear it. As mentioned before the flame on LP should be very small as it's working. A large flame may be do a faulty gas valve although I've never heard of that issue before. Might be time to bring in the cavalry on this one just cuz.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Stove top burner, furnace, and water heater all working perfectly
All of which are more tolerant of an out of spec propane system and regulator than the fridge. What is the most recent manometer reading? How long ago was it done? I'll bet you can't answer those questions, and if I win that bet then again I suggest getting some professional help.

They say that where there is smoke, there is fire. Sometimes a smell like burning "breaks" (brakes I assume) precedes the smoke.

Tags
bigfoot, fridge