Bigfoot owner manual - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #1

Name: Kendra
Trailer: 1988 bigfoot
British Columbia
Bigfoot owner manual

Hey!
I am really new to owning a camper and I just bought a 17" Bigfoot - not sure if it's a 1988 or 1989

There are a few things I cant get working - lights dont work but electrical outlets do and I can't figure out the hot water tank.

I was wondering if anyone had a owner's manual?

Please let me know!

Thanks
Kendra_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The owners manual isn't what you think it is. It's really just an advertisement for the trailer, and tells you what options your trailer came with.

The owners manual you're looking for is more a package of individual owners manuals for each appliance in your camper: stove, fridge, furnace. But there's nothing which explains the entire electrical system or how to "work" the camper.

If the outlets work, that means you're plugged in. Unless someone wired an inverter into your power center. Otherwise there shouldn't be any power to them.

Have you found the power center? Should be under one of the dinette seats. Metal box. It contains fuses and breakers. Check all the fuses. Check all the light bulbs. That's the place to start, anyway. I guess...check to make sure you have a battery and it has charge, too. Unfortunately with older campers you never know what's working, and what kind of crazy "modifications" previous owners have done.

Water heater has a pilot light. You need to turn the knob to "pilot" and hold it there, then light the burner with a lighter. Hold the knob for 10 or more seconds, then if the flame stays lit, turn the knob to "on". It should send out a flame thrower...There's a slight chance you have an electric ignition pilot light, and in that case I'm not sure. My 91 Bigfoot water heat has to be lit manually, but on my display center with battery status, water tank status and water pump switch, there's a light that lights up when the water pump is on. In the same place, it also has WH and GEN, for water heater and generator. I don't have a generator, and my water heater has no electronics, so I assume those lights are for options I don't have. So maybe these trailers came with electric ignition water heaters back then as an option. I don't know.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
When I started using my 1988 B-17 the plug to the tow vehicle was so corroded that it couldn’t possibly have a lit up the lights. Take your screwdriver to the plug and pop it open and see what’s going on in there. I ended up replacing the entire cord.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra_w View Post
Hey!
I am really new to owning a camper and I just bought a 17" Bigfoot - not sure if it's a 1988 or 1989

There are a few things I cant get working - lights dont work but electrical outlets do and I can't figure out the hot water tank.

I was wondering if anyone had a owner's manual?

Please let me know!

Thanks
You need to deal with these issues one at a time.

Lights I assume are the factory 12v, have you tested the fuses under the dinette table/bench?
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Have you checked the doc center?

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - BigFoot
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #6

Name: Bueno
Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
California
Owners Manual

Here you go, from the manufacturer: Owners Manuals - Owners Center - Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #7

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
1988 Bigfoot owner's manual

Hi Kendra, and welcome to the Bigfoot world! You're gonna' love it. And, this forum has been an absolute pleasure to be a part of. I really like that no-one ever laughs (at least not out loud) when I ask my crazy questions.

I have a 1988 17-ft BF with all the documents that came with it when new: water heater, furnace, appliances, water pump, toilet, a slick brochure with specs, etc. But, to your needs, I also have the original Owner's Manual.

Actually, it's quite comprehensive and really helped me learn about the trailer. I still refer to it occasionally.

If you haven't located one yet, I'd be happy to send a photocopy. It's 27 pgs. long. You could send me a personal message and we could discuss how to get a copy to you.

Happy Bigfooting!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Really? I didn’t think such a thing existed. The year 2000+ “manuals” linked earlier won’t do you much good for an 80s model, but an 88 manual would probably be really helpful.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
I also have a '88 25B175CB.

The Hot Water Tank baffled me at first.

It does not have a Pilot that you have to light.

It runs on Propane or Power.

To run on Power, turn on the power switch near the floor, on the left side, beneath the Table and in front of the Power Pack. If that light is red, the Hot Water tank is running on Power.

To run on Propane; ensure the Power switch is off; Turn the Hot Water Tank on, via the switch on the front of the Stove Hood Fan (front most switch).

Bizarre set-up; but it works.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hercules View Post
I also have a '88 25B175CB
Uh, no. What you have, if it's truly an '88 is a 15B17CB. The 25B175CB didn't happen until 2006.

I had an '04 15B17CB and an '06 25B25RB. I only had the 17' for a couple of years, but I had the 25' Bigfoot for nine years and sold it to friends in 2015.

There's quite a significant different in the shells of the 15B series to the 25B series.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #11

Name: R.W. Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 25B175CB
Alberta
Sorry; it is a '08 25B175CB.
Tug Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot