We purchased a 1980 Bigfoot
17 in the fall
. It was in pretty good condition and had the wavy, sagged roof that is typical in the early Bigfoots. I knew right from the start that I wanted to fix and reinforce the roof. Over the winter I came up with a plan how to do it. On the weekend my Dad and I started the project. He is a retired civil engineer, so he is quite well versed with the structural aspects. I know a bit about fiberglass.
The first ceiling panel was cut out with an air powered cut-off tool. Very smoky and noisy. Proper protection was essential. The extruded styrofoam had not delaminated and was hard to pull off. Next came the task of cutting curved ribs and then attaching. Getting the right technique took a bit of practise. Reinforcements were added between the ribs. Also, at this time I noticed some pinholes in the fiberglass skin. These were circled for later repair. Today we finished cutting ribs for where the second and third panels were. We had to add some bracing for one side of the ribs to sit on. Tomorrow we plan to finish with the woodworking and maybe get a start on reattaching the styrofoam. The following day, all going well, should see us putting up new ceiling panelling. I will try to post some pictures soon.