Bigfoot versus Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Bigfoot versus Escape

I notice that several people lately have either changed their allegiance from Bigfoot to Escape or considerd them both and ended up with an Escape.
Just curious as to whether it was just based on the lower weight or if there were other reasons and if so what they were?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
When I bought my Escape about 5 yrs ago, the weight and width were big factors (width because my driveway is very narrow) for me.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
In my case, the decision was easy - Escape doe not make one big enough for my desires.. When I next upgrade, if Escape makes one in the 25-28 foot range (or bigger) , my decision will be a LOT tougher!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are few BF available on the "East" side and if I have to go "West" I'll get a new one. So I ordered an Escape with the options I wanted.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I looked very seriously at Bigfoot before buying my Escape 19.

Bigfoot is a true 4 season trailer, though Escape is now doing things to push it well into the winter, like optional insulation and 12V heat pads on the tanks. Bigfoot is just as well built quality wise.

Bigfoot is a fair bit heavier, and though there is good reason for the weight, pulling a 19' with a V6 is pretty much out of the question. I do have a full sized pickup, but don't want to have to use it for towing my trailer.

The biggest factor that turned me away from Bigfoot was the layouts unless you went to a full bed model, but that was bigger than I was willing to go. For me, a bathroom in a small trailer should be as small as possible of a wet bath to save room for the other components in the layout, and Bigfoot's bath is too big IMO. Plus, one feature my wife insisted on was a permanent bed, she did not want to take down and set up a bed every day, plus she sleeps in way longer than I do. Not only that, but the width of the gaucho and the dinette both for sleeping was narrower than we would have liked.

One thought I did have was to get an older one, and rebuild with a layout that suited our needs better. This would be a project I would love doing, and I have the skills to do it too. However, I had way too many other things in my life to do, and if I wanted to actually use a trailer, a rebuild was out of the question. Who knows, maybe once I retire.

So, to summarize, I believe both trailers are well built and each has its own merits. For me, at the point of life I was at, having Escape build me what would work for me now, and well into the future, ended up being my choice. If a Bigfoot's weight and layout is not an issue for you, certainly have a good look at them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Great responses everyone, thank you and please keep them coming.
I am just window shopping at present and dreaming of my 'in the future trailer' - so many trailers so little time!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, escape