"Bigger" trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Biggar
Hi Suz:

At the extremities this trailer is 7' 8" wide.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Paul, thanks for the detailed information. I had been curious about this design, because I am always on the lookout for a more optimal design for our use, and just because it is different.

The interior photos are great. It looks like the same layout (generally) as a Boler B1700SG (Side Gaucho) or a Bigfoot 19' (as shown in the Albums), for instance. It looks like the relatively square corners mean that the dinette (for instance) is not so compromized as it is in the B1700.

The width is almost identical to the "big" Boler, the B1700 (such as mine). This puts it distinctly wider than the typical egg (B1300, Scamp, Casita...), but also narrower than recent Bigfoot designs. Now, how about the length and height?

The other specific set of dimensions which I am interested in are those of the bathroom. It's nice to have a bathroom/shower, but it's not so useful if you can't move in it! Paul, can you tell us how wide (at the widest point, I guess), long, and tall the space is? I'll try to remember to measure my B1700 and post it for comparison if anyone is interested. In a post to FiberglassRV Brand Comparison Chart, Suz provided this info for comparison: "Escape bathroom w/shower per Reace (unless it has changed): 37"L x 23"W and 65"H."

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #17

Alberta
Quote:
...I'll try to remember to measure my B1700 and post it for comparison if anyone is interested...
The shower / toilet room of my 1979 B1700RGH is..
  • 32-3/8" (822 mm) [b]long, front to back
    • except for about 3" (75 mm) of wheelhousing intrusion in the lower 8" (200 mm) at the front, for most of the width
    • and the step up under the toilet for the black tank, 6-1/4" (160 mm) high
  • 26-3/16" (665 mm) [b]wide, at the widest point (the belly seam, 26-3/4" or 680 mm above the floor)
    • and 23-1/4" (590 mm) wide near the floor,
    • with the curtain (to cover the wood door and toilet paper) hanging on a rail centred 2-9/16" (65 mm) inside the inboard (door) wall.
  • 71-3/16" (1808 mm) [b]tall at the door (inboard) side
    • with a door opening 18-5/16" wide by 64-3/16" tall (465x1630 mm), above a threshold 5" (125 mm) above the floor
Because the shower is in the side area of the body, there is no flat ceiling area; the shape of the top part looks just like the closet, which I posted earlier in [b]Closet size in a 17' Boler

The problem I had with the Escape bathroom was the lack of standing headroom (I hink the whole trailer body is shorter in height), but I guess it had more front-to-back length (which make it easier to get up and down). I'm still interested in the Biggar: is it bigger?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010732.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	4371
[attachment=5506:attachm
ent]

Hello Brian:

Here are some measurements of the bathroom in the Biggar Trailer:

Around the beltline the measurements are about 48 X 26 inches. The dimension at the ceiling is about 36 x 24 inches with rounded corners of about a 2" radius. The toilet sits on a raised platform of about 7 inches high and 17 X 24 (width) which is likely the the blackwater tank below. That leaves the rest of the floor as part of the shower but a corner moulded section forms part of the sink. See pictures of shower floor drain, sink and medicine cabinet.

Height floor to ceiling inside the bathroom is 72 inches. The door width is 22 (wide) x 68" (height)

The trailer inside the main area is 74 inches in height while the overall outside height is about 92 (ground to the roof line)
Attached Thumbnails
P1010733.jpg   P1010735.jpg  

Old 08-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #19

Alberta
Thanks, Paul!

The Biggar appears to be very well equipped. The Boler bathroom doesn't have a sink, which we miss.

So it seems that the Biggar is bigger (than the Boler), in bathroom length and in width at the top (due to the more squared body shape). I understand how it's a bit narrower at the top, but I'm not sure where the foot of length went (48" at beltline, but only 36" at the top?). It looks quite close to the Boler in floor space, so is it maybe 36" all the way up (not considering the sink intrusion)?

Now, is the improved bathroom enough to have me looking for a Biggar?

In the B1700, the step under the toilet is the black tank (which sits on top of the floor, and continues forward under the streetside dinette seat). It looks like the Biggar does the same thing, but with the tank extension being rearward, presumably under a storage cabinet in the streetside back corner. It seems to be cabinets all the way across the back - are the two upper and two lower doors in the middle the only access to this storage space?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #20

Brian:

The black water tank and the gray water are located along the rear of the trailer. Part of the blackwater tank and all of the graywater tank is under the rear cabinet. The potable water tank and pump are located along the curb side beside the wheel well.

The toilet area is 48 inches long at the beltline but the ceiling is 36. Note in the side view of the trailer the sloping rear. That acounts for the difference.

Likely, when comparing a 17' Boler to a 19' Biggar the differences in dimensions are not so drastic. According to a classified ad in a December 1978 Winnipeg Free Press the Biggar trailers were described as "Winterized" in a factory year end clearance sale. When I removed a side window for resealing I noticed that it had about a 2" inner frame that was well insulated. As well, when wiring the ceiling vent the roof thickness at the vent was about 3". The fiberglass shell is aproximately 3/16" thick fiberglass. With these thicknesses the inside of the two trailers should be comperable in size but not in overall weight.

The lower cabinet has a top surface that is 23 inches deep but the shelf inside the cabinet is is only 13" deep. The space behind the cabinet is used primarily for plumbing.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
This thing is in such awesome shape. It's totally original... It's neat looking at my trailer but one that's all stock and in such great shape. Very nice.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #22

Trailer: Biggar and Trillium
I have a Biggar, and all the manuals for the unit and appliances. They were made in Winnipeg Manitoba, and were named after the owner of the company, Bob Biggar. Apparently he had worked for Bolar and decided that he could build a better trailer, which he certainly did. Double walled, including the floor with insulation in walls, ceiling and floor. We bought the Unit last year with the paln of parking it on a seasonal site; We have a 15 foot Trillium as our daily driver, lol. But this spring my wife found a 30 foot unit with a bump out and decided if its going to be parked anyway why not go large. Doesn't make sense to keep three trailers so the Biggar will be going up for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigger.jpg   Bigger_1.jpg  

Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #23

Name: J.J.
Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Alberta
Quote:
I have a Biggar, and all the manuals for the unit and appliances. They were made in Winnipeg Manitoba, and were named after the owner of the company, Bob Biggar. Apparently he had worked for Bolar and decided that he could build a better trailer, which he certainly did. Double walled, including the floor with insulation in walls, ceiling and floor. We bought the Unit last year with the paln of parking it on a seasonal site; We have a 15 foot Trillium as our daily driver, lol. But this spring my wife found a 30 foot unit with a bump out and decided if its going to be parked anyway why not go large. Doesn't make sense to keep three trailers so the Biggar will be going up for sale.

Heres a pic of ours to show the size difference !

http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1688/8319...6/379381850.jpg
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1688/8319...6/379381855.jpg
http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1688/8319...6/379380977.jpg
Old 12-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #24

Name: Jake
Trailer: Still looking
Ontario
Quote:
Brian:

The black water tank and the gray water are located along the rear of the trailer. Part of the blackwater tank and all of the graywater tank is under the rear cabinet. The potable water tank and pump are located along the curb side beside the wheel well.

The toilet area is 48 inches long at the beltline but the ceiling is 36. Note in the side view of the trailer the sloping rear. That acounts for the difference.

Likely, when comparing a 17' Boler to a 19' Biggar the differences in dimensions are not so drastic. According to a classified ad in a December 1978 Winnipeg Free Press the Biggar trailers were described as "Winterized" in a factory year end clearance sale. When I removed a side window for resealing I noticed that it had about a 2" inner frame that was well insulated. As well, when wiring the ceiling vent the roof thickness at the vent was about 3". The fiberglass shell is aproximately 3/16" thick fiberglass. With these thicknesses the inside of the two trailers should be comperable in size but not in overall weight.

The lower cabinet has a top surface that is 23 inches deep but the shelf inside the cabinet is is only 13" deep. The space behind the cabinet is used primarily for plumbing.
Wow, they look like very solid, insulated trailers.
I would assume with the dual axles, it must tow very well, without the need for sway bars?
Just curious what the empty weight/ hitch weights of the Biggar are?

Another question for you Paul: When the couch is folded down into a bed, can you still walk past it to the Washroom, or does it take up all the floor space?
I am curious, if it might be an option to leave this down as a bed, and use the front dinette, as the eating/ sitting area?

I really like to the look of them, and the layout as well.

IF and when Gary Nelson decides to sell his Biggar, I may be interested, again, dependant on the weight, as I am pretty much restricted to 2500lbs towing weight, and 200 lbs hitch weight.

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
Cheers, Jake.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #25

Trailer: Biggar 19 ft
Hi

With the couch pulled out there remains some room for walking to the bathroom. Can't recall if it is as much as two feet or so. Currently stored for the winter.

Gary Nelson was kind enough to sell his Biggar to our family last summer.

An interesting point is that although equipped with a shower, the shower drain runs right into a 12 inch long pipe that leads to the end of the pipes. So, to take a shower, without modifying the plumbing, you just put one of those portable gray water tanks at the end of the pipes and open that particular one.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #26

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1984 FiberStream
Pennsylvania
Registry
I want one!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #27

Name: J.J.
Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Alberta
There's one sitting about an hour west of here , not sure if it is for sale ! it has been there for years !!!! SOLD ours last year ,just one fiberglass rv left !
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #28

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I got my Biggar this March and I love it. It has the perfect amount of space for myself and one big dog. I put the dinette down into a permanant bed and the dog gets the couch, that way I can get into the bathroom at night. If the weather is bad, I have an antique metal tv tray I use indoors as my table. I had a lot of work done to it this year and more next but it's slow going as I'm out camping alot.

Tags
biggar