Bike carrier problem solved. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #21

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
I can't tell from your pic if something is hidden behind the open door - but could you put a box on the tongue? The Thule (thanks for the link, by the way!) or any other box, that could be mounted or have a mount to fasten to? Other folks here have found it useful to have a box up there for. I would love to but have the battery/lp tank there.

just the propane tank. have considered strapping a box on there and stowing a hitch rack to then strap the box onto if I need to go hiking for the day etc. I'm still in that process of thinking but really I think I just need to get over it and deal with not having the box now and then and just not pack stuff in the car that can't get trampled.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When we had a new 13 ft Scamp made up to order, we asked that a receiving hitch be installed to the trailer frame, as we wanted to carry two bikes (on the back of the Scamp) on a rack that slides into the receiving hitch. But EVERY bike rack manufacturer we talked to said NO NO NO. Since the Scamp has such minimal suspension, the bike rack manufacturers said there was far too great a risk of the rack snapping off when we hit unanticipated (but inevitable) irregularities in the road. I wouldn't want to lose the bikes -- I wouldn't want to waste the car following me even more! (We had a receiving hitch mounted on the front of our 4Runner and now carry our bikes there -- it ain't perfect, but we're a lot safer on the road!)
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
I have a 4Runner too Richard... Let's see a pic of that!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
When we had a new 13 ft Scamp made up to order, we asked that a receiving hitch be installed to the trailer frame, as we wanted to carry two bikes (on the back of the Scamp) on a rack that slides into the receiving hitch. But EVERY bike rack manufacturer we talked to said NO NO NO. Since the Scamp has such minimal suspension, the bike rack manufacturers said there was far too great a risk of the rack snapping off when we hit unanticipated (but inevitable) irregularities in the road. I wouldn't want to lose the bikes -- I wouldn't want to waste the car following me even more! (We had a receiving hitch mounted on the front of our 4Runner and now carry our bikes there -- it ain't perfect, but we're a lot safer on the road!)
Are you saying that the bike rack mfrs were afraid of their product breaking? If so, they sure don't have much confidence in the strength of their own design. I suspect that Scamp attached the custom receiver well enough, so it doesn't say much for the racks themselves if they can't take some jarring.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #25

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Scamp View Post
I posted about finding a place to put my bikes on my 13' Scamp. A lot of great replies but Kenny Strong told me about a couple great ideas with my hitch. I attached the links below. This is great for what we need. Happy Scamping and thank you everyone for the help!

Dual Hitch Extender & Other Dual Hitch Receivers - Harbor Freight Tools

Multi-Use Ball Mount
That dual hitch extender makes me think a bit. Yes, the weight of the bike carrier and bikes will add to the tongue weight. However, I recall a recent discussion about Oliver's extendable tongue and how it should reduce the trailer's effective tongue weight when extended due to the leverage effect. Well, wouldn't this hitch extender have somewhat the same effect, since it moves the trailer back about a foot? Or would it be the other way around (more leverage on the tow vehicle)? Hard to visualize which way...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #26

John M -- I suspect you want a pic of the hitch receiver mount, which I can't get you right now. But if I can send an image okay on this forum, I'll try to show the whole rig -- bikes, 4Runner, and Scamp on the road. Biggest problem is the configuration of our bikes and the 4Runner headlights. It wasn't safe to drive at night, so we always camped before dusk. I had a LandCrusier previously, and the bikes didn't trouble the headlights at all, but never pulled a trailer in those days. The biggest problem (for us) with mounting bikes behind the 4Runner was access to the back. We lived on the road for 5 months, and the bikes would have been a BIG nuisance if they had to come off every time we wanted to get in the back of the 4Runner.
The only other minor problem with the front mount is that you need a really big space to parallel park! We just took the 4Runner to a welding shop and asked. The receiver hitch has not been a problem at the Toyota dealer in the intervening 3 years.
P.S. Looks like I'll have to attach the photo in an email, as using this forum has stumped me!

Mike -- Yes, the manufacturers of the bike racks strenuously objected. We were surprised, as we had spent a lot of time looking for the best bike-hauling solution. Then the manufacturers told us that. Scamp happily installed the receiver without a word of caution, but the "fine print" recommended not exceeding a weight that was only a few pounds more than most any bike rack, never mind two bikes. So we went "forward." Richard
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #27

Name: Larry
Trailer: Volvo 245 pulling '71 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
This should solve your problems ;-)
coalminecanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would say that the hitch extender puts more leverage on the tow vehicle because you are moving the ball farther away from the rear of the TV. In this month's Highway's [Good Sam's magazine] is an ad for Swagman bike racks that states they are RV approved. I have said many times that I have seen rear racks & receivers break off, and on our recent 2500 mile trip the rear rack on our Uhaul was bending with two bikes on it. The Uhaul tends to bounce a lot and items inside move around too. I use the same rack on our teardrop, but mount it on the tongue and the bikes ride much better there. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #29

Oklahoma
Yep, Bob, I think you're right. I believe I understand it now.

Since I mostly travel alone these days, I am fortunate enough to have room for my Trek in the back of the Highlander. I'm glad to have the info about the bike racks being too weak to take the shaking of a trailer's rear bumper, as I had thought about moving the bike back there. My TT's bumper is welded to the frame quite well. But I think I'll skip that idea for good.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #30

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Last year I bought a hitch extender for my mini van, and didn't care for it. I thought that it put too much weight on the hitch, if I had a truck it would probably be no problem. And the bikes didn't have the clearance against my dual lp tanks that was on my now sold 13 deluxe. Maybe I'll use it on my next tug, but for now its in the barn.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #31

New York
In another recent thread here I posted how I have made a couple rear receivers on trailers by attaching the receiver tube to at least two frame cross members and the bumper, and reinforcing the frame too. I also have one of those dual receiver things, but have only used it with our teardrop camper that weighs only 650 lb. I modified a Yakima hang type bike rack so it is closer to the tow vehicle, but now it can't be swung down to open the tailgate. Bikes can be a real pain in the #$$ to carry, but I like riding so have had to find various ways to carry them. I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but I feel it's important to realize the stress that a bike rack can put on a rear mount receiver because of leverage and the trailer bouncing. I'm waiting for someone to start a thread about carrying kayaks so I can tell what I learned about that the hard way!! Bob
Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #32

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
does anyone transport their bikes INSIDE their camper? that seems like the easiest option if there were a way to strap it down and pad it against the interior.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
does anyone transport their bikes INSIDE their camper? that seems like the easiest option if there were a way to strap it down and pad it against the interior.
Yes, Donna posted a picture showing a board with the front forks locked down to it riding in the center floor area.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #34

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
What I ended up doing on my 13 deluxe is making my own hitch for the rear. I first cut out the bumper and then welded in a 2" receiver, which I added a piece of square stock to and then welded that to each frame rail. It was very strong and I never had any problem carrying bikes and no problem with sway. But I did have dual lp tanks which helped I'm sure with some tongue weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050083.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	45323

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050080.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	45322
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Yes, Donna posted a picture showing a board with the front forks locked down to it riding in the center floor area.
Find those pictures and more discussion right here: Bikes riding inside a trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #36

New York
We are trying to not pack stuff on the floor of the trailer. We want it so when we stop for just an overnight rest we can open the door and get in without moving anything. On a couple recent trips we have overnighted at Walmart and truck stops.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #37

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm waiting for someone to start a thread about carrying kayaks so I can tell what I learned about that the hard way!! Bob
Well shoot Bob, don't wait around, start a thread! I want to hear this. I'm looking at buying a kayak and would welcome hearing others' experiences.

(edit): never mind, I'll get the ball rolling and start the thread for ya.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #38

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I have a "Hitch Haul" that I got for my Honda Odyssey to take the big barbeque to the park for group activities.
It wiggles around so much even with everything strapped down that I only used it once.

I bought folding bicycles with carry bags that go inside the Odyssey.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #39

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
I bought one of these but I haven't tried it yet. I will only be carrying one bike so I can put it as close to the tow vehicle as possible. I will be trying it out in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
bike_rack.jpg  
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #40

New York
See kayak story in new thread! Frederick; what I do with my racks is weld a 5/8 nut on a flat piece of steel with a hole in it, stick that inside the rack tube that goes into the vehicle receiver, and screw the bolt into it to hold the rack tight to the receiver. This keeps it from wiggling around. Some bike racks have a nut in them, my Yakima bike rack does. Bob

Tags
scamp